Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,
Have just picked up an 07 meanstreak 1600 with only 11,000 miles... Love the bike but can't get a smooth shift from 1st to 2nd if my life depended on it! Every single time it grinds badly before going into second gear. The only way to not get the grinding is to shift at very low speed and low revs (which of course is not the answer and not why you ride a big vtwin!)

Ive read up and done a lot of reading about this, and some say it's normal, others at it's a bad sign of gearbox serious problems, others say they had the same problem and had to pull the whole motor and was a very expensive job....

Please advise me on
1. Is it just the nature and design of the 1600 box?
2. Can it be fixed easily?
3. Should i sell the bike now before it becones a huge headache?

PS I've been riding for over 20 years, mostly VN800, VN1500 and Harleys and Victorys.... none of them had tnis problem. Even my 1997 1500 classic shifted smooth and flawlessly since the day i bought it.

Thanks for any advice or help. I can't afford a '$$$ engine/gearbox problem.

·
Registered
251 Posts
My 1600 Nomad is the same way. I use the heel shifter for the first shifts and give a good solid shift with my heel. If I use the toe shifter I get the grinding if I do not get a good solid push on the toe shifter. Have to shift with authority to minimize this noise. My Nomad has 45,000+ trouble free miles.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Grinding is NOT the nature of the beast, but usually a sign of abuse.
A tear down and replacement of all affected parts is the only repair.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Grinding is NOT the nature of the beast, but usually a sign of abuse.
A tear down and replacement of all affected parts is the only repair.
wow, that's not good news..... it's not really worth the huge cost given the value of the bike?

Is there no other options?

Thanks again, your knowledge and experience is greatly appreciated.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
My classic shifted like a tractor BUT did not grind. With the Nomad I even shift without the clutch ( sometimes) Gotta agree with Sfair. probably a shifting dog you can pick up a salvage tranny for about $250

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My classic shifted like a tractor BUT did not grind. With the Nomad I even shift without the clutch ( sometimes) Gotta agree with Sfair. probably a shifting dog you can pick up a salvage tranny for about $250
Thanks bearslayer, can i buy a new shifting dog and fix my current gearbox? Salvage tranny around here are far and few between.

Thanks again for the advice.

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Check Ebay or one of the cycle salvages for a tranny you can rob what you need from that . If you pull it down and find that it is a dog or bearing then Ron Ayers or Revzilla OEM will have a new part.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
You will need second drive and driven gears and most likely a shift fork.
Buy new because used may have the same problems that your current ones have.
Plus you will need, at the minimum, gaskets that are required to do the job.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You will need second drive and driven gears and most likely a shift fork.
Buy new because used may have the same problems that your current ones have.
Plus you will need, at the minimum, gaskets that are required to do the job.
Thanks again sfair... I'm in Australia - so where would be the best place to order parts from? The Kawasaki dealerships here are not that useful if you know what i mean. I would likely have to source online from US?

How difficult would you say the job is to do if i do it myself?

Thanks.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
1. It is not a job for the faint of hear, for sure, but doable.
2. You would need a service manual.
3. I, personally, do not have a favored parts source. Have ordered from Ron Ayers and received my parts. That is all I can say.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As an add, a teardown would be required to assess the damage and what parts would be required.
Ok, thanks mate.... I'm going to need to give this one some real thought.
:disapointed:

Thanks for all the input. If i ever get to tearing it all down I'll be sure to post up some pics

1 - 13 of 13 Posts