Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 95 vn800 that i recently had to do a head gasket job on! Everything on the top end seemed fine and i rode it before i did the head, as it was a very slow leak. The engine only has 37kkk miles on it, and after checking the oil screen for the first time under my ownership, I noticed the metal flakes (as pictured below). If this was the first time someone has ever taken that screen out is that somewhat normal? If not, should I be concerned? This is the third engine I have rebuilt top ends on (Other being a ninja 500 and rebel 250), and I normally would hear if there is an issue going on inside. For this, it ran like a top with ample power. Help!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I know how frustrating it is to ask a serious question and get no response. So maybe some of my questions will inspire the answers you seek. I can't tell from the thumbnail are the particles of metal chunky like small rocks or flat and smooth like fish scales? Have you checked them with a magnet to see if they are aluminum or steel? What are the darker particles?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding! The metal is slightly flakey, soft enough for me to break with my fingernail. As tested with a magnet, theyre aluminum! Also, the little black pieces are harmless gasket material.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Most likely what you are seeing is casting junk from the original factory build IMHO. Even steel fragments that are not chunky are for the most part nothing to worry about. As a general rule any metal fragments found in used oil that do not role when rubbed between thumb and forefinger can be considered normal wear.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
you don't need to be concerned because you did a head job and those shavings in the screen are from the new head job you did, which is normal to find shavings after a head job

1 - 5 of 5 Posts