Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New road rider, first road bike in 30 years, learning needs as I go! I have been reading and researching on what to get for luggage options on my bike. I need something. Currently I put what I need in my coat pockets, but clearly this is limiting.
I thought I wanted a tail bag. I love the integrated look of the Kawa one, but I really would like a locking version. The other tail bags just look so big and bulky.
So I looked at saddlebags. I am not a fan of how far they sit off the bike, and they give the bike obvious hips. I have my own hips and don't need the bike accentuating them!
Then I thought about a sissy bar and sissy bar bag. But I do not want to get a passenger seat. I have no intention of ever carrying a passenger. Are there sissy bars just for holding bags with no pads?
Not interested in tank, front fender, fork, handlebar bags, or wearing a backpack at all.
Then today I rode and was cold, and thought how nice it would be to have the saddlebags to hold a layer, or rain gear, etc.

I have been seeing your photos and they all look really nice. So I'm hoping your experience and expertise can help me make some decisions. Thanks all!

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
I too was not a fan of saddlebags, but commuting to work for a few weeks convinced me to try with some cheap throw-over from Wish. 2 weeks later I bought some Viking bags. Rain and warm gear in one, space for whatever else I wanna schlep in the other. I even moved the tools out from under the seat so I don't have to deal with that stupid keyed side panel.

In short ... they're worth it.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
212 Posts
Sounds like you want a naked bike with storage. My yamaha Zuma had under seat storage, maybe a moped? Just kidding. Tank bags are useful but don’t lock. Would a small trunk positioned directly behind the driver work? You will probably have to come up with your own bracket.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hello and welcome! Your bike is great looking! I'm not a fan of tank bags as I'm short and find they reduce my arm clearance. I have the soft Kawi saddlebags which are a bit smaller than the other bags they offer, plus the Kawi tail pack. Nothing locks, and none are large enough to fit my full face helmet. Together the bags hold my rain suit and a few tools, and still space to add stuff, and the tail pack lots of space too. I'd love it if they could lock, but nothing holds my helmet, that's what I'd really love to lock up when I'm out. When I travel overnight, I usually take most everything in with me, depending on weather forecast, because if it's raining in the morning, I want my rain suit inside with me. For extra storage on I use two Nelson Rigg roll bags.

I'm fortunate to say nothing's ever been stolen from my bike when we've traveled anywhere. I guess it's just a risk I take, but I don't leave other "valuables" on the bike. I use phone for GPS (goes in the RAM mount on the left handlebar), and that comes with me when I'm off the bike. Nothing else is detachable.

I will agree, even my soft bags do add "hips" to the bike, that's a great description! The tail pack expands, in the picture it's not expanded.
This is my 2016 bike, in Urban White, and with a Corbin seat, customized more for a shorty like me.

Good luck in finding what serves your needs!
Gerry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts