Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Help me find bags

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  kingnba6 
#1 ·
So, I want a bit of a storage option for my 900 custom. I'm not trying to go grocery shopping, or live out of my bags for a month. I want something small that doesn't wreck the lines of a 900 Custom, that I can pack a book, a lunch, and other odds and ends in.

Basically I want the space the backpack I wear on my sportbike provides, split across 2 saddlebags.

You might have guessed that I'm not a fan of hard bags, and you'd be right. Most of what I'm seeing in "soft" luggage has a rigid liner, making them more like leather covered hard bags. So far, I've been looking at saddlebags for horses for that reason, but nothing's won me over quite yet.

I've skimmed a few "Show off your bike" or "Show us your bags" threads, but most of what I've seen is hard bags or big bulky hardsoft bags. Anybody have suggestions, pics, or links to help me find what I'm looking for?

#5 ·
Thanks guys.

I'll keep looking at horse tack for a little while. There's a huge leather/western shop down by my sister in law's house that I'll check out before buying anything. I'm leaning toward going with a swingarm bag and a sissy bar bag if I can't find throwovers I'm happy with.

#8 ·
^ I picked up something similar, and it works. I'll probably like the look better as the leather wears a little.

I've also been using a black canvas medic bag (similar to http://www.amazon.com/Rothco-Canvas-Nato-Medic-Bag/dp/B000YV6RUC) I picked up years ago as a sissy bar bag, and toying with the idea of buying another, stitching a thick strap between them, and making my own saddlebags.

If I get around to dropping the $20 and spending the time to put it together, I'll put up some pics.

#9 ·
I would go online and see what they got. I have the leatherlyke bags on mine cause it came with them but I like them fairly well.

Attachments

#11 ·
Looking forward to it Lt!

I tend to go a little overboard with these things, and I've got a busy few weeks coming up, but I'll eventually be back with pics of a customized canvas setup. I've been digging through the garage/junk drawers, and I think I've got most of what I need to waterproof the bags, rig up mounting points, and possibly make them easily detachable. I just need some canvas, leather, or nylon, and some free time.

#12 ·
Makeshift saddle bag.

Sorry for the late answer.

Got around at making a saddle bag with a canvas satchel/shoulder bag.

Bought the bag on Ebay for next to nothing. You could get something of your liking in a thrift store as well.

Bought a solid but thin plastic cutting board that would fit the back of the bag.

Bought 2 pre-dilled for convenience flat metal bar and hardware.

Bag Tan Brown Hand luggage Tool belts

Mats

Bag Tan Beige Luggage and bags Satchel

the bag has a liner so I unsewed it, centered the board then drilled holes through the back of the bag onto the board. I then sewed the liner back so the board wouldnt be exposed.

Product Vehicle Bicycle accessory Grass Automotive tire

Bought heavy duty industrial tie wrap and mounted it on my tail light/side plate mount.

Tire Vehicle Product Automotive tire Wheel

an other pic.

Not a huge project nor is it the best thing since sliced bread but it gets the job done for gym clothes or anything i want to bring along.

Enjoy!!

#14 ·
Soft bags

I have used the First Gear Onyx bags for 3 years now. They hold quite a bit and unzip and expand. They come with rain gear and have handles for carrying to the hotel room.

I'm currently waiting to receive my Tsukayu Strong Bags and will probably sell my soft bags. Just got tired of reshaping the internal plastic that holds the shape and tired of all the pop up showers that send me running to put the cover's on. Also wanted a secure locking lid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.