Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I am a new Vulcan owner. Just picked up a 2012 Vulcan 900 Classic in a deep maroon colour.

I would love to customise the bike a bit but would love some input from the guys who have gone before me and who have a bit more knowledge. Some things are going to be a bit aesthetic some are a bit more practical. I also want to pick things that are going to make the biggest difference for the smallest spend as I have already spent quite a bit on buying the bike itself!

• Exhaust - The bike came with some V&H pipes which sounded amazing, but they were unbelievably loud and going to get me in trouble with the law. I am back on stock right now but would love to find a middle ground that improves the performance but also gives it a bit more of a v-twin rumble.
  • Seat - The stock seat is already proving a little uncomfortable on longer rides. Would love to pick a new one.
  • Trim - I would love to play with lights, chrome and other bits to add a little character. I already pulled the windshield off.
  • Luggage - this is a practical one. I threw some cheap throwover saddle bags on for the moment, but they don't look great. I need a bit of extra carry space, preferably waterproof since Melbourne gets pretty cold and wet in winter. I have considered saddlebags and also fitting a sissy bar and rollbag.
  • Engine performance - I would like to tweak the power a bit. Perhaps playing with basic stuff like air filters and the like.
  • Other things?
Would love your input!

Andrew

·
Registered
950 Posts
For the exhaust, try the Hard-Krome quiet baffles. They will make those V&H pipes tolerable. http://www.smartpartz.com/hardkrome.html

Seat- You might try pulling back the vinyl and installing a gel pad under your bottom. If it works, you saved a ton of money. It will staple right back on.

Mutazu makes a pretty good hard bag at a very reasonable price.

I like ISO grips. It was the first thing I changed on my T-Bird.

Good luck!

P.S. We need pics, or you didn't buy a bike :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked at buying different baffles for the V&H pipes but most people were saying that they were only going to bring the volume down by 2-3db where they are likely running well over 100db on the bike. How much do they bring things down? The legal limit here is 92db and I want to avoid getting pulled over for being too loud. I really want to find that middle ground between getting a proper v-twin sound and being so loud it upsets the neighbours!

Does the gel pad on the seat work well? How much more comfortable does it make things? Where do you get them?

Here are a few photos! One is the sales photo with the V&H pipes still fitted. The others with me sitting on the bike show the stock pipes back on. I have since removed the windshield.

Attachments

·
Registered
415 Posts
The stock seat doesn't bother me so much now since i added a sheepskin buttpad from alaskan leather.com ($55. shipped, use code 'deadsheep' for 10% off), i like the stock pipes (in the minority there) i found that adding a K&N air filter($40. on amazon) and iridium ngk spark plugs($18. @ spark plugs.com) were enough added pulse for me...welcome aboard and cheers mate.....ride on....I have a 2012 se 900....

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The stock seat doesn't bother me so much now since i added a sheepskin buttpad from alaskan leather.com ($55. shipped, use code 'deadsheep' for 10% off), i like the stock pipes (in the minority there) i found that adding a K&N air filter($40. on amazon) and iridium ngk spark plugs($18. @ spark plugs.com) were enough added pulse for me...welcome aboard and cheers mate.....ride on....I have a 2012 se 900....
Are you talking about a sheepskin pad over the seat or something inserted into the seat? I am an all weather rider so it needs to be pretty weatherproof!

Handy to know that the air filter and plugs make a difference to the sound.

Thanks mate!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I remember correctly, a 3db decrease is 1/2 the sound. So 2 to 3db should be noticeable.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
I had to Google that to see what I could find. You are correct that a 3db increase is double the sound energy (I didn't know that).

http://www.acousticsbydesign.com/acoustics-blog/perception-vs-reality.htm

However, that may not equal a significant perception of change. The article said most people didn't notice a significant difference until 5db and considered 10db to feel like twice the volume. It means that a 3db reduction will generally not be noticed and likely still get me in trouble with the neighbours and police!

Great theory though! Appreciate the insight!

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Re seat:-
I bought the Mustang vintage wide seat because most of my rides are over 200k's down the coast and back.
It was a great investment. I have done a 750km day and still felt a slight soreness,But that was gone as soon as I stood up.
If I was gonna buy the Mustang seat again,I would pay the extra and get the one with the removable backrest for the rider. On the longer rides,I just feel I'd like something higher up my back supporting me.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re seat:-
I bought the Mustang vintage wide seat because most of my rides are over 200k's down the coast and back.
It was a great investment. I have done a 750km day and still felt a slight soreness,But that was gone as soon as I stood up.
If I was gonna buy the Mustang seat again,I would pay the extra and get the one with the removable backrest for the rider. On the longer rides,I just feel I'd like something higher up my back supporting me.
Very handy to know. I don't often ride more than an hour or so but I did notice a bit of discomfort on the couple of longer rides I did. I'll have to look the mustang one up.

Cheers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
A quick start without huge expense - K&N filter (unless adding an intake), ISO Grips, Go Cruise ([ame]http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VROJ32/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]) and the gel pad.

I've got the Slash Cuts as well, and after my 65mi (105km) commute, the noise is a bit much. I'm going to try this - http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33131, less than $10 and 30 minutes (unless the baffles are really stuck).

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I pulled off the filter cover this evening and I believe there is a K&N filter in there (I couldn't see a part number but it matches the images I found online).

I had never seen a Go Cruise before. I had to look at one on Youtube to figure out what it did. That's pretty neat.

I looked at the price of the Mustang seat and decided for now I can't afford it, which means the Gel pads are the go.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I like the GoCruise, because it doesn't 'lock' the throttle with a clamp. This comes in handy with hills, curves and passing, where you may need to increase or decrease the throttle. Another thing I added was cable guides http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&vxp=mtr&item=251583850124 to the screws on the rear fender trim, giving me a place to connect bungees/cargo net without scratching the paint.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like the GoCruise, because it doesn't 'lock' the throttle with a clamp. This comes in handy with hills, curves and passing, where you may need to increase or decrease the throttle. Another thing I added was cable guides http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&vxp=mtr&item=251583850124 to the screws on the rear fender trim, giving me a place to connect bungees/cargo net without scratching the paint.
It's now on my list.

Just ordered some saddlebag supports, Willie & Max Saddlebags and Sissy Bar. They should arrive next week so I'll do some photos once they're fitted.

Very much considering doing a stage 1 debaffle on the stock pipes after watching a few videos.

Question for the experts:

Will altering the baffle change anything on my fuel setup?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I finished the baffle packing on the Slash Cuts, and for the <$10 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/290943594363?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT), it was worth the 30 mins or so it took. After the install I took a 20 min ride to see if there was a difference at 30, 45 and 65mph, and there is a notable difference. I ran it a longer yesterday, about 45 mins or so, and here is what I noticed - seems to be more low end power (from restoring the backpressure?), the rumble stayed and the higher pitched ice pick sounds are gone, it's still plenty loud when you roll the throttle and my ears weren't ringing like they had been at the 20-30 min mark. I'm anxious to see how it does on my commute, but that's only because there is a 30 mi stretch of 70mph speed limit, and I haven't tested it for any length of time at that speed. You may want to try it before the debaffle, it's entirely reversible in 20 mins or so.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I finished the baffle packing on the Slash Cuts, and for the <$10 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/290943594363?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT), it was worth the 30 mins or so it took. After the install I took a 20 min ride to see if there was a difference at 30, 45 and 65mph, and there is a notable difference. I ran it a longer yesterday, about 45 mins or so, and here is what I noticed - seems to be more low end power (from restoring the backpressure?), the rumble stayed and the higher pitched ice pick sounds are gone, it's still plenty loud when you roll the throttle and my ears weren't ringing like they had been at the 20-30 min mark. I'm anxious to see how it does on my commute, but that's only because there is a 30 mi stretch of 70mph speed limit, and I haven't tested it for any length of time at that speed. You may want to try it before the debaffle, it's entirely reversible in 20 mins or so.
I'd be interested to know what sort of volume you have now that you wrapped the baffles. The stuff I read was that it only caused a slight drop in volume. I need to have mine under 93db and I suspect it was well over 100db with the V&H pipes.

I did a stage 1 debaffle (4 x 8mm holes per pipe) yesterday and they do sound nice. There is just a touch more rumble and a bit more volume. Opening the throttle up brought it to 92db. I'm pretty conscious of staying legal! The sound certainly isn't as pretty as the V&H but they do sound good.

·
Registered
37 Posts
How are you testing the volume?

·
Registered
950 Posts
It's now on my list.

Just ordered some saddlebag supports, Willie & Max Saddlebags and Sissy Bar. They should arrive next week so I'll do some photos once they're fitted.

Very much considering doing a stage 1 debaffle on the stock pipes after watching a few videos.

Question for the experts:

Will altering the baffle change anything on my fuel setup?
Nope, you will be fine.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sold the V&H pipes. They're gone. A little sad because they did sound great but there was no way to have them fitted long term.

How are you testing the volume?
I know it's not perfectly accurate, but we installed a SPM on an Android phone. There are heaps out there and they vary in effectiveness but we found one that was reported to be fairly accurate on the particular phone we used.

The standard test here is to test at 45 degrees from the end of the pipes at 1m distance.

It's not a perfect measure but it did give me a ballpark idea of the change in volume.

KenDawg said:
Nope, you will be fine.
I suspected as much but figured I should check with others who knew the effect it has on the system.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Luggage & fittings I ordered on line arrived:

• "Custom World" Sissybar and luggage rack
  • Non-OEM saddlebag supports
  • Willie & Max Compact Studded Saddlebags
  • Kuryakyn Tour Roll Bag
Got them all through http://www.zpower.com.au/ (Australian retailer)

Still keen to do handgrips, mirrors and potentially a bit more with fuel management and air filter. Happy with partially debaffled stock pipes at the moment.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts