Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First thing was I noticed two unused bolt holes on the outside of the left side of the engine. Looking through the service manual for the cam tensioner (because it's behind the area that would be covered by something using these bolts) I saw a step to remove the left side air cleaner. So my question is, is the left side filter something that's only on some different versions, or is something else supposed to be here?

While looking at that, I noticed this piece with 3 inlets and some shaft/spring assembly inside just sitting on top of the front cylinder, loose. It has one wire connector in the backside that disappears under the fuel tank. That wire is the only thing attaching it to the motorcycle. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the left side filter (if that's even a thing) or maybe the Reed valves, which have been blocked off, or what its for/if it's OK that it's just hanging out there unattached.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Stock there are two air boxes that are connected together, one on each side. The air would be sucked in and pass through the filter on the left side then travel between the cylinder heads to the right side where air is routed into the throttle. it looks like the previous owner changed the air box/filter to only have a single air box on the right side.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Stock there are two air boxes that are connected together, one on each side. The air would be sucked in and pass through the filter on the left side then travel between the cylinder heads to the right side where air is routed into the throttle. it looks like the previous owner changed the air box/filter to only have a single air box on the right side.
That makes sense! The PO put a Baron big air kit on it; single housing on the right side. I imagine id want to leave that wire plugged in to prevent some kind of code then...it sounds like it's basically a mass air flow sensor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts