Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK here's the symptoms.

Doing Interlock checks, bike WILL NOT start in 1st gear with the sidestand up and clutch pulled in.

IAW with SM, inspected (changed) the starter lockout switch (quick and easy) with no results :mad::mad::mad:.

Next, I need to change gear position switch. Here lies the problem. I cannot find a part number for it AND it's physical location. I found a picture of one on an eBay scroll and it appears to be bolted in place (one bolt through a brass sleeve) with a quick disconnect to the wiring harness.

My local mechanic ($$$$$$) also chimed in with a "safety relay" that could be the fault. I can't find any reference to that in the SM.He's happy for me to bring the bike in and let him troubleshoot the wiring.....but I don't have a couple of hundred bucks floating around.

Over to ther experts.........

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
From the shop manual, here's the location of the neutral switch. The safety relay he's refering to is probably the vehicle down sensor.

Attachments

·
Registered
702 Posts
Maybe I can help...

Vulcan 9,

I had the same problem on my bike a couple months ago. I checked clutch switch, checked kick stand, called service dept at dealer, still couldn't get it going. Then I traced the cable from clutch switch all the way under the gas tank and found that it had come unplugged while I was installing risers. Had to lossen the tank bolts too get plugged back in. Hope this helps...

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
OK here's the symptoms.

Doing Interlock checks, bike WILL NOT start in 1st gear with the sidestand up and clutch pulled in.

IAW with SM, inspected (changed) the starter lockout switch (quick and easy) with no results :mad::mad::mad:.

Next, I need to change gear position switch. Here lies the problem. I cannot find a part number for it AND it's physical location. I found a picture of one on an eBay scroll and it appears to be bolted in place (one bolt through a brass sleeve) with a quick disconnect to the wiring harness.

My local mechanic ($$$$$$) also chimed in with a "safety relay" that could be the fault. I can't find any reference to that in the SM.He's happy for me to bring the bike in and let him troubleshoot the wiring.....but I don't have a couple of hundred bucks floating around.

Over to ther experts.........
There is no gear position switch but there is the neutral switch which should be located on the lower back side of the engine.

It's going to be a lot cheaper and more effective in the long run if you would buy an inexpensive multimeter to test these parts rather than just replace them. You can get a digital multimeter these days for $15, give or take, that is more than adequate for this sort of thing (and more).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.
The wiring unplug sounds the most likely at this stage as everything else is as per normal.
I did a resistance and volt check with my multimeter and could'nt find it hence the request.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts