Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I deserve whatever negative comments y'all give me, but I stripped out my clutch drain plug. My first thought is machine shop and tap it again with a new bolt. But the recesses down there have me worried. If I go bigger with a flat gasket I think I'll be ok. Don't want a new cover since its about 600 bucks. Any ideas would be great?

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you stripped the hole and not the bolt, you would have to tap it out if you choose that option. I would use the smallest increment possible in making it larger and mill whatever bolt head in any fashion required to make it fit.

You could look into a Helicoil repair...I know they make metric sizes...and I think pretty small as well...might be an option.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I've never tried it myself...

I've also seen some self-tapping drain plugs that cut their own threads for the slightly larger plug.

Of course, those are workarounds to a repair such as you mentioned.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I changed my oil the other day and when pulling out the drain plug on the clutch cover noticed that it also pulled the treads with it. I had another bolt of the same size but longer, twice as long, I put a flat washer and an O ring on and it pulled up like it should. It's tight and not leaking. If you haven't tried anything else yet, try that, it worked for me...

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
If it were me I would find a bolt that was the next size up. Standard or metric, it don't matter (I have all sorts of that stuff just laying around, sorted out in peanut butter jars), and drill it and tap it. If you don't have the stuff I would drain the oil and take the cover in and let a machine shop do it. They should not charge you much, it is an EASY operation.

I would be temped to try the permatex stuff shown above. It looks like it would work especially since you don't need to torque the bolt down hard either. I have never used it myself or never seen it used, but it looks interesting???

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
viable, inexpensive solutions all, but keep in mind TEMPORARY. Helicoils fail eventually as well, but last longer than an oversize plug.

There are also "piggyback" plugs, which use a fitting with OS male threads (I'm assuming this probably has a 14mmx1.5 plug since that's really common on Kawis) on what looks much like a tunneled bolt. The female end is plugged by a smaller bolt. They drain pretty slow, but they save wear and tear on the threads in the case since the tunneled plug stays put after installation and you only remove the piggyback plug.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/400444182093?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

You can pick one up at NAPA or O'Reilly for about 6 bucks give or take.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Anything that leaves any sort of insert in the cover should be compared to the thickness of the cover/housing to be sure it doesn't create a standpipe, for lack of better terms, protruding internally that prevents proper drainage.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Anything that leaves any sort of insert in the cover should be compared to the thickness of the cover/housing to be sure it doesn't create a standpipe, for lack of better terms, protruding internally that prevents proper drainage.
good observation. They are available in varying lengths, and there is one that exists specifically for the low-clearance baffled oil pan in the old Hondas.

Provided of course that my random guess at pitch and diameter aren't completely off.

·
Registered
102 Posts
hi,sorry to here about your problem.the plug is only 8mm.the next easy size would be 3/8" a little smaller than 10mm which would be a good thing.i don't know how much clearance there is above the plug hole but easily checked.with a taper tap you may! not need to drill out the hole at all.it is also possible as mentioned before that there may be enough thread left for a longer bolt.if there is it would probably be a good thing for us all to do the same as the original is only 10mm long and easily damaged.the 2 part glue system shown would give a reasonable thread but it is almost impossible to stop oil draining onto the repair and if you have the cover off you may as well fix it properly.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Hmm.. Hmm... How's he got oil in there if the plug is stripped out? :eek:
says the guy who increases the stock price of Fresh Step Kitty litter each time you do an oil change, :D. sorry could not resist. I was thinking, well take the cover off and let a machine shop do it, then I was thinking what are the steps involved in taking off the side cover. Started from there.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
says the guy who increases the stock price of Fresh Step Kitty litter each time you do an oil change, :D. sorry could not resist. I was thinking, well take the cover off and let a machine shop do it, then I was thinking what are the steps involved in taking off the side cover. Started from there.
LOL. I'm never going to live that down am I??

(and was playing with ya btw..)

You should be proud, i've progressed far since then. I changed the bike oil last month, with only a few drips on the ground. Even flushed the radiator also.

I changed the oil (myself) on my kaw jet ski last week. Bought it in 2004, and this is the first year I changed it myself. Even having to buy a (nice) oil extractor AND putting Amsoil in it, it was cheaper than having the dealer do it. (Was a REAL pain in the butt to do btw)

Even changed the oil in my V8 tundra (amsoil). (Course, I DID get some oil in my hair.. but hey, I'm learning )

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
LOL. I'm never going to live that down am I??

(and was playing with ya btw..)

You should be proud, i've progressed far since then. I changed the bike oil last month, with only a few drips on the ground. Even flushed the radiator also.

I changed the oil (myself) on my kaw jet ski last week. Bought it in 2004, and this is the first year I changed it myself. Even having to buy a (nice) oil extractor AND putting Amsoil in it, it was cheaper than having the dealer do it. (Was a REAL pain in the butt to do btw)

Even changed the oil in my V8 tundra (amsoil). (Course, I DID get some oil in my hair.. but hey, I'm learning )
lol, I have been on here long enough to know if you poke fun at me, I can poke back and its all cool.

We are all proud of you, that glimmer of RUB is starting to dull every time you take on a new project :D.

oh before I forget, oil in the hair can be a good thing, when it gets oily then you can brush it out of your face and it will stay put. I used to have hair down past my shoulders. I have had a little bit of everything in my mop.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Remember, that little bolt doesn't need to be gorilla tight. It's still a stupid design though... I love my v2k but it's little things like that clutch cover drainbolt that has me looking at other machines.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fixed

Alright guys thanks for all the help and suggestions. I know it has been a while since I posted this but I finally got it fixed this week. Took it to local machine shop. They said take it to local metal shop, have them weld it back solid and then they could drill and retap the hole. Sorry guys I was so happy to get it back and together I did not take any pics but the bike is running again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts