Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. Talk to me about helmets.

I've really tended not to wear helmets. They're hot, they're heavy. I'm entertaining the notion, however.

I've got some neck issues so it would have to be light, or I just wouldn't wear it.

Also, consider that I live in Florida and it's hot - it'd have to be pretty well ventilated.

I'm actually considering ordering a carbon fiber Skull Crush helmet, but I'd like to hear what ideas everyone else has to offer.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I usually wear a 1/2 helmet because they are required here in Ga. Last year I got a fiberglass helmet and was surprised at how light weight it felt compared to the plastic ones I've had before, would say 1/2 the weight. I still go without one when I travel north were they are not required, but this one isnt to bad. I've found wind buffeting is the biggest head ache for me. A windsheild helps alot in this area with a helmet.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Late summer I picked up the new Shoei Neotec helmet. Yes, it is expensive. It is, however, arguably considered to be about the best helmet to be had. It is light, one of the quietest helmets I've ever worn, the ventilation is just crazy. When I open the top vent, I can actually feel the wind blowing my hair. I open the front vent, I can feel the air blowing against my eyebrows, but not into my eyes. Sunshield works just like you would expect. And with the front flip-up, I can really open it up when sitting in traffic or to get a quick drink. In short, I love it!

·
Registered
85 Posts
i use a $20 plastic "helmet" to comply with local laws. never thought much of it, but got hit last year and it did its job. hit the ground hard and scraped the hell out of it, but not a scratch on my head. if you hit something with your head at speed, all the helmet is going to do is make it easier for the cleanup. i would rather die on the road than live in a hospital bed.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
i use a $20 plastic "helmet" to comply with local laws. never thought much of it, but got hit last year and it did its job. hit the ground hard and scraped the hell out of it, but not a scratch on my head. if you hit something with your head at speed, all the helmet is going to do is make it easier for the cleanup. i would rather die on the road than live in a hospital bed.
To each their own! My son-in-law (also 101st) high-sided his bike last year out in the back 40 on post. The front of the full-face helmet his wife makes him wear was tore all to hell. If not for that helmet, his face would have been hamburger meat. He wouldn't have died, and he wouldn't have lived in a hospital bed. He would however, have terrorized his new baby daughter with every look and spent the rest of his life looking like a slaughter-house reject. As I said though, to each their own! I think it's still a free country - sort of.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Look into something made of carbon fiber. No matter if you want half, three quarter, full face or one of the designer lids, carbon fiber can be lighter than all the rest. The thing is, the shell is only a small part of a helmet. The important part is on the inside and how it reacts to compression. Aside from the old standbys like Shoei, Bell and others, here is a link to just one of many suppliers with something a bit different. http://www.skullcrushgear.com/novelty-helmets.html

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Syko - I was actually looking at SkullCrush. The Sixshooter style helmet looks like it'd be pretty light and cool.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Here is a great link from WebBikeWorld.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm

And sorted by weight.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-weights.htm

I didn't see any advertised weights on those skull crusher novelties??!!:confused:

Anyway, head-shape is pretty important when picking a helmet that wont irritate the h*ll out of you.
The site reviews, noise, ventilation and head-shape. If you don't mind doing some reading; this is the best source for information on helmets I have seen.

Scott

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow. Thanks for the link.

What's killed it for me in the past has been a combination of weight and wind resistance. So I'm thinking something low profile and light weight would be best for me.

Maybe what I really need is a kevlar doo-rag.

·
Registered
85 Posts
thought of this thread last night as i was sitting on the side of the road getting a ticket for my helmet. a blown taillight was responsible for me getting pulled over but as soon as he walked up the helmet was checked. have to take my real DOT helmet to court and he said it should get dismissed. i hope. or else its a $138 lesson

·
Registered
240 Posts
There are a lot of fiberglass helmets that are very light weight (kevlar works as well). I do not know the extent of your neck injury so I cannot recommend a helmet for weight. However, they don't make them like they used to, they are pretty light. I look at it this way. It only takes once to have a life ending accident. I'm not trying to think of myself here because I am certain of where I will be when I die. However, thinking of others may exude a little more caution on my part. So, looking at injuries sustained from head trauma, the numbers say that most deaths occur from blows to the chin area. Hence, I have limited my chances of that one occurrence somewhat by getting a HJC IS-MAX Bluetooth Modular Helmet:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/38/29136/ITEM/HJC-IS-MAX-Bluetooth-Modular-Helmet.aspx
I wore this on the hottest days in VA last year and did not have a problem with sweat head. Mind you, some days reached over 100.The ventilation on these helmets has been better than the past as well. It is made from Injection-molded thermoplastic shell with ABS / Polycarbonate alloy chin bar. You may be able to even get lighter and stronger than plastic. However, if I have a rider on the back I go with an open face helmet Bell Custom 500 Helmet:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/67/905/28717/ITEM/Bell-Custom-500-Helmet.aspx

That being said, my backup plan goes against the grain of my purpose. But, this will have to do till I can get the extra expenses to get a real full face helmet that's super light and has a tough non plastic shell.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/67/905/35889/ITEM/Schuberth-C3-Helmet.aspx

I might recommend getting a light color that reflects the sunlight so the shell does not heat up. ;)

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Others have mentioned it already, but carbon fiber is the way to go for lightweight.

A friend I ride with was having a heck of a time with her half-shell. You can basically either get a faux-helmet that only works if you don't get pulled over (And she's heard of people getting pulled over with those on anyway as the cops are learning to spot them), or a big 'mushroom head' helmet that bothers the heck out of her. Not the looks but the amount of wind they catch.

She settled on a carbon fiber 3/4 helmet with vents, she says it's the most comfortable helmet she's ever had. May be worth looking into. I'd bet a 3/4 helmet has less 'drag' than the mushroom-head helmets.

I'm just passing along what she said anyway, I must be weird as I've never found mine hot or uncomfortable. I wear my full face year round simply because I don't want to buy another helmet, I've never felt like it was uncomfortable really. But, then again there are folks who can ride all day on the 900's stock seat and I want to know how the heck that's possible! LOL

·
Registered
264 Posts
There are a lot of fiberglass helmets that are very light weight (kevlar works as well). I do not know the extent of your neck injury so I cannot recommend a helmet for weight. However, they don't make them like they used to, they are pretty light. I look at it this way. It only takes once to have a life ending accident. I'm not trying to think of myself here because I am certain of where I will be when I die. However, thinking of others may exude a little more caution on my part. So, looking at injuries sustained from head trauma, the numbers say that most deaths occur from blows to the chin area. Hence, I have limited my chances of that one occurrence somewhat by getting a HJC IS-MAX Bluetooth Modular Helmet:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/38/29136/ITEM/HJC-IS-MAX-Bluetooth-Modular-Helmet.aspx
I wore this on the hottest days in VA last year and did not have a problem with sweat head. Mind you, some days reached over 100.The ventilation on these helmets has been better than the past as well. It is made from Injection-molded thermoplastic shell with ABS / Polycarbonate alloy chin bar. You may be able to even get lighter and stronger than plastic. However, if I have a rider on the back I go with an open face helmet Bell Custom 500 Helmet:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/67/905/28717/ITEM/Bell-Custom-500-Helmet.aspx

That being said, my backup plan goes against the grain of my purpose. But, this will have to do till I can get the extra expenses to get a real full face helmet that's super light and has a tough non plastic shell.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/67/905/35889/ITEM/Schuberth-C3-Helmet.aspx

I might recommend getting a light color that reflects the sunlight so the shell does not heat up. ;)
Just like vandy, I have the IS-MAX-BT. And its been a great helmet for me thus far. As far as ventilation go, it has worked well for me in the 110+ heat of El Paso, but its a dry heat here :D

Plus the modular thing is pretty convenient and you get a three year warranty on it. I couldn't give you an exact weight but if thats a concern then you may want to ask your doctor what an acceptable weight and timespan for wearing that weight would be

·
Registered
775 Posts
I wouldn't worry about getting pulled over,I would worry about dying.
I've been in several bad crashes and my shoei & arai 3/4 helmets saved my life.
If you wear a crappy helmet for comfort you will find out that if you are unlucky enough to get in a bad crash that the helmet will not keep you safe.
That's if it stays on.
Most of the folks who wear beanies don't cinch the strap tight enough {'cause it's not comfortable} and the helmet falls off when they hit the ground.

JJ

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I wouldn't worry about getting pulled over,I would worry about dying.
I've been in several bad crashes and my shoei & arai 3/4 helmets saved my life.
If you wear a crappy helmet for comfort you will find out that if you are unlucky enough to get in a bad crash that the helmet will not keep you safe.
That's if it stays on.
Most of the folks who wear beanies don't cinch the strap tight enough {'cause it's not comfortable} and the helmet falls off when they hit the ground.

JJ
That is one of the reasons I went to a Full Face. I used to wear a half helmet. One day I decided to take my hand and hit my helmet in the front and back it would pop off rather easily. To keep this from happening I would have to have the strap so tight I would interfere with my speech. It was not comfortable.

This is the half helmet I have.

http://www.jafrum.com/Shop-By-Brand/Skid-Lid-Helmets/SkidLidBlack

This is Full Face I use. I have a discontinued design but it still the same helmet

http://www.afxhelmets.com/helmets/fullface/fx-90.php?show=black

·
Registered
254 Posts
Wow. Thanks for the link.

What's killed it for me in the past has been a combination of weight and wind resistance. So I'm thinking something low profile and light weight would be best for me.

Maybe what I really need is a kevlar doo-rag.
Not sure about the weight, but the "Nolan N43 Trilogy" looks interesting. I've always ridden with an "old fashion" regular full helmet, you know, like Bell, or something cheaper with the open chin. I used the old snap on full face shield(black, of course)- no flip.

I started having trouble finding one for less than $140 bucks(it seems like they've came down lately). Ended up with a non- "cool looking" Harley helmet(I didn't think they even made those, but it says H..D.. on it) with a flip black shield. The Harley guys think I'm just a "poser"(lol) I have to say, I really enjoy the flip shield, especially at lights. But it's ten years old now, and the liner doesn't come out for cleaning(I just close my eyes when I put it on).

I know the chin guard is the best protection, but I kinda get claustrophobic with that chin piece. The N43 is removable, which might help me get used to the idea, and start using it on longer rides. It's kinda pricey, but there are some other good features with it. Supposedly it's like having 6 helmets, But I don't think "doo-rag" is one of them!

By the way, my Marine son looks at all the bikers without helmets(don't have to wear one now up here, if you have the right insurance) and he says what comes to mind for him, especially after all the military training, is "NATURAL SELECTION"... It's just natures' way of thinning the herd... Hmm...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts