Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a G-Max 2 years ago.Thought it was a good helmet but started to fall apart on a trip last year.It uses plastic screws you have to tighten every so often.I used a dime so as not to break them.Yesterday I tightened one of them and it broke.The G-Max is a poorly constructed helmet that uses inferior parts.
I tried to find and contact the company but to no avail. What it boils down to-you get what you pay for. I will never recommend to anyone nor ever purchase that brand again. My previous one was an Arai and never a problem.I've also never heard of any problems wiyh Shoei.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
I've had good luck with the HJC helmets. Durable and comfortable but won't break the bank.

Yesterday at a street fair I saw a couple cruise by on a nice looking HD. Both had Shoei helmets on- but the guy was wearing no shirt, shorts,and rubber flipflops. The gal was wearing short shorts, rubber flip flops and a bikini top. Maybe they thought that for 300 bucks, those helmets would protect their whole bodies!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I've had good luck with the HJC helmets. Durable and comfortable but won't break the bank.

Yesterday at a street fair I saw a couple cruise by on a nice looking HD. Both had Shoei helmets on- but the guy was wearing no shirt, shorts,and rubber flipflops. The gal was wearing short shorts, rubber flip flops and a bikini top. Maybe they thought that for 300 bucks, those helmets would protect their whole bodies!
Usually you see that with sport bikes... flip flops and t-shirts (or no shirts), but a $600 Shoei. I always figured they just thought it was the 'style' to wear a full face with a sport bike (How often do you see a sport biker with a half helmet?) Seems odd to me but whatever floats your boat.

I'll second that with HJC. Wife and I both have HJC full coverage helmets and are quite happy with them. Comfortable for hours at a time, haven't had any issues with anything breaking, keeps the bugs off of ya, good ventilation, you name it! And, like you said, doesn't break the bank! Got them around $150 I think.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Wife and I both have 3/4 Scorpion helemts. Love em. Only thing we would have preferred to have was the drop-down sun visor, although we both do have tinted visors, it's a pain to switch on the fly when the sun starts going down.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry I made a comment .Apparently my kidneys weren't working properly.Would like to stop somebody from buying one in future

·
Registered
399 Posts
Wife and I both have 3/4 Scorpion helemts. Love em. Only thing we would have preferred to have was the drop-down sun visor, although we both do have tinted visors, it's a pain to switch on the fly when the sun starts going down.
I wear raybans under my helmet and just leave the clear on

Life......Pshhh, I would rather be riding

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I have logged over 17,000 miles in my Gmax GM68 helmet and still love it. Even picked up two more like it when they discontinued the graphics package I liked. Maybe not all Gmax helmets were created equal.

I also have an HJC IS-16 that I wore a couple of times and put back in the box. I keep meaning to put it up for sale. It was comfy, but I could stand the fact that there was no vent position for the visor.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
The gal was wearing short shorts, rubber flip flops and a bikini top. Maybe they thought that for 300 bucks, those helmets would protect their whole bodies!
she probably did not have implants either ... for those she would at least had a armor vest.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I have logged over 17,000 miles in my Gmax GM68 helmet and still love it. Even picked up two more like it when they discontinued the graphics package I liked. Maybe not all Gmax helmets were created equal.

I also have an HJC IS-16 that I wore a couple of times and put back in the box. I keep meaning to put it up for sale. It was comfy, but I could stand the fact that there was no vent position for the visor.
I have a 4 year old Gmax with no issues, i also have 2 hjc CL15's ( 5 yrs old) and 1 hjc CL 16.(3 years old) All 3 still give off some wind noise but one is no better / worse than the other. The best helmet i had years ago was a Bell full face, dont remember the model though, funny, cause in those days, shoei was a cheaper helmet. I think some of it comes down to maintainence and care. I have never had any helmet in recent ( the last 20 years) break any thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have used HJC helmets for years. I had a CL-16 that I had for two years, then the visor gear wore out and the visor would flip up when I turned my head at any speed over 50. After trying on a number of helmets, I settled on a Scorpion EXO-1100. I absolutly love it! I am glad I spent the extra money this time around, great fit, weight, ventilation and the drop down sun visor is a major plus.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Wife and I both have CL-16's. Love them, but, we both have issues with the visor latch. Mine binds up and doesn't open/close smoothly anymore, and hers keeps coming loose. Seems like that's the big downfall for those lids. They don't have the greatest ventillation but with the visor cracked it's fine.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
My wife always loughs when she see guy on the sport bike wearing full body protection and his girl on the back just little shorts and little top with full face helmet lol
Back to topic I got Gmax open face one and so far it is good.
Saw that a while back. Guy wearing a one-piece leather track suit and motorcross boots, high dollar full face helmet, and his girl on the back was wearing shorts, a bikini top, flip flops, and of course, a high dollar full face.

Wear whatever you want, I mean, just enjoy the ride. But there is something tragically comical about a $600 helmet, and a bikini top combination. I guess it's the style? Similar to a guy I talked to who was chatting about my gear and said "Man I wish I wore a full helmet like that one", so, I'm kind of puzzled by this response (I usually get a sarcastic 'power ranger helmet' comment or something stupid like that, I guess full gear on a cruiser in the summer is a moral dillema for other motorcyclists and they have to make sure to point out their distaste). Anyway, then he said "Well, I won't look as cool". Whatever man, I guess you and I ride for two different reasons! LOL

·
Registered
18 Posts
Bought my first fullface helmet in over 20 yrs this spring. Didn't think I could survive wind noise for 600 mile days. Ended up with modular Nolan N104. It is fantastic! Could ride with chin bar and shield up at 75mph and still leave the sun shield down.

One of the few helmets I could find in XXXL. Went with flat black as color was extra costs. Friends called it Mad Max meets bobblehead...

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Bobblehead?

Bought my first fullface helmet in over 20 yrs this spring. Didn't think I could survive wind noise for 600 mile days. Ended up with modular Nolan N104. It is fantastic! Could ride with chin bar and shield up at 75mph and still leave the sun shield down.

One of the few helmets I could find in XXXL. Went with flat black as color was extra costs. Friends called it Mad Max meets bobblehead...
+1 ;-) i nearly choked on my coffee reading that... Good going. I too wear a modular, but it's because I wear glasses and couldn't negotiate them in any other full face.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
+1 ;-) i nearly choked on my coffee reading that... Good going. I too wear a modular, but it's because I wear glasses and couldn't negotiate them in any other full face.
Local dealership had some 'bobber goggles' on clearance for like 4 bucks. I thought, cool, sunglasses that seal out debris! So I bought them.

Then got home and realized I hadn't thought about how on earth to put them on under a full face! LOL

·
Registered
14 Posts
Way I see it they are wearing a helmet...who cares if she has a bikini on? She's thinking road rash and dead are two very different things and I'd have to agree. Youre obviously not in IL cuz here it's the bikini and no helmet at all. I normally don't ride with a lid and when I do it's a 3/4, I'm in it for the wind in my face. I really hope this doesnt start a helmet debate too, I'm just saying to each there own. You think it's funny when you see a bikini and a helmet and I think matching full leathers make you look like a tool. Do you really ride your bike that hard on public roadways to warrent that kind of apparel? If you do you shouldnt because youre a danger and you give other riders a bad name. If you wanna make the argument that you are concerned about safety I make the following arguement: Maybe you shouldnt ride if the only way you feel safe is in your spacesuit. Full leathers are intended for and should remain on the track. That said if you ride by me in them im still gonna wave....just not quite like I waved at the hottie in the bikini.....

What's that old saying about opinions.......

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Way I see it they are wearing a helmet...who cares if she has a bikini on? She's thinking road rash and dead are two very different things and I'd have to agree. Youre obviously not in IL cuz here it's the bikini and no helmet at all. I normally don't ride with a lid and when I do it's a 3/4, I'm in it for the wind in my face. I really hope this doesnt start a helmet debate too, I'm just saying to each there own. You think it's funny when you see a bikini and a helmet and I think matching full leathers make you look like a tool. Do you really ride your bike that hard on public roadways to warrent that kind of apparel? If you do you shouldnt because youre a danger and you give other riders a bad name. If you wanna make the argument that you are concerned about safety I make the following arguement: Maybe you shouldnt ride if the only way you feel safe is in your spacesuit. Full leathers are intended for and should remain on the track. That said if you ride by me in them im still gonna wave....just not quite like I waved at the hottie in the bikini.....

What's that old saying about opinions.......
Motorcycle accidents occur even without riding hard or riding in particularly risky situations. Things happen, so if a person chooses to wear gear, it's because they want to be protected in the event of an accident, which can occur in a variety of situations. It's important for us as motorcyclists to accept the fact that situations happen that can sometimes be outside our control, that we could possibly make a mistake, or something could go wrong. In 2009(?) an author (whose name escapes me) who had ridden millions of miles, written dozens of columns on motorcycle safety and had even written a BOOK of dealing with animals in the road, was killed when he hit a deer on his way to work. Not riding hard, stuff just happens. Now he was wearing a helmet so obviously it didn't save him, they aren't 100% of course! Sometimes really bad stuff happens. But we do know from statistics that if today is your day to crash, you're 5 times more likely to survive it in a helmet. The 'average' motorcycle accident occurs at 21 mph, which is enough to have some nasty road rash or break a bone. Armor and abrasion resistant materials, whether leather, or textile like I wear, can help prevent that. That's why I choose to wear it. I also ride a decent amount (15-20k a year or so). Gear helps me deal with weather, debris, keeps me comfortable in extreme heat (believe it or not, when the temps are way up there, you want to be insulated, not out in the open), etc.

I don't care if you wear gear, helmet, or even clean underwear when you ride. I don't care what you ride, and as long as your not riding in a way that puts others in danger, I don't care how you ride. It's about two wheels, a motor, and enjoying life in a way others would never understand. I'm a little perplexed about your issue that gear doesn't belong on the street, why not? If you don't wanna wear it I don't care, but what's wrong with the people that do? It provides a lot of advantages, not just in a crash.

The point of my comment was the interesting contrast between the rider and passenger. Not knockin' it, do what ya want. Just funny looking is all.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts