Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2008 900 classic LT a few weeks ago,, It has a Mustang seat,,I do not know which one, but the drivers seat seems pretty wide. I rode out to a community concert Friday night, got there about dark, and when I went to lock my helmet under the seat, I found an upside down hook, which was useless ! So let me ask any of you with these seats, did you have to modify the hook like mine to get the seat to fit, or was mine a Monday or Friday produced bike ? It sucks to have to carry a helmet around everywhere when out on a jaunt !

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
That sounds like the OEM lock. I took mine off and tosssed it. I usually hang mine on the backrest. If I want security, Iock it my saddle bag.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Using my helmet lock is awkward but does work. I just thread the helmet rings over the hook so the helmet hangs down. Then lock the seat over the hook. The awkward part is unlocking the seat with the helmet hanging over the seat release key.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe I found my helmet lock,, the PO called the other night and said he found the tool pouch and carrier after cleaning out his garage. When I got home and installed it,, I see there is a plastic hook. Man,, you wouldn't want to leave an expensive helmet attached to that,, as I'm sure if you yank on it hard enough it would break free. At least it cleared up this question.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Kuryakyn makes helmet locks that attach to the highway bars, or somewhere else, i bought the larger one 1"-1" 1/2, put it down by my brake pedal, the helmet sits on the brake pedal and locks to the highway bars, works great, if i could figure my camera out i would post pictures, someday....ride on....

·
Registered
221 Posts
Here is my solution. I bought a matched pair of locks (same key works both locks) on eBay and made mounting brackets for them out of aluminum because I didn't want to drill holes in my luggage rack. The holes in their base are tapped. As you can see in the last photo I still just pop my helmet on the sissy bar but do use them if I'm in an area where I would have to worry about someone taking our helmets.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
detours,, When I reinstalled the tool pouch carrier,, that the PO had given me the other night,, and it covers the battery,, I noticed a plastic hook ? Now I did notice on the left hand side, there was a metal hook,, but mine is upside down ? I ask the PO if he had bent it down to get the Mustang seat to fit,, but he said no,,, but I have a feeling that metal hook on the left side WAS my helmet lock hook. I will have to check out the additional locks mentioned here, I would like that better anyway, rather then having to mess around removing the seat to secure my helmet !

·
Registered
199 Posts
detours,, When I reinstalled the tool pouch carrier,, that the PO had given me the other night,, and it covers the battery,, I noticed a plastic hook ? Now I did notice on the left hand side, there was a metal hook,, but mine is upside down ? I ask the PO if he had bent it down to get the Mustang seat to fit,, but he said no,,, but I have a feeling that metal hook on the left side WAS my helmet lock hook. I will have to check out the additional locks mentioned here, I would like that better anyway, rather then having to mess around removing the seat to secure my helmet !
Can you get us a picture of this? I'm trying to visualize how it could possibly be upside down...

·
Registered
226 Posts
I don't have my 900 anymore but there was a metal "hook" that you could thread your helmet D-rings through and then slip that hook over the hook under the seat. you need that expansion hook to get the helmet far enough from the bike to put the seat back on.

Works really well once it is all figured out and hangs off the right side of the bike.

If you don't have all the right parts get a lock that will attach to the frame, luggage rack, sissy bar, etc. where you have room to thread the D-Rings through.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Helmet Lock

I use one of these Kuryakyn License Plate Helmet Lock with Mount. It works great. No one knows its there...blends in well with the bike. Can easily attache multiple helmets, no extensions required. The helmets are also well "hidden" as they hang below eveything and aren't readily noticeable. No need to remove my seat. I mounted mine so the helmets are on the left side (not on the exhaust side).

http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/1261/License-Plate-Helmet-Lock-With-Mount

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
That license plata bracket looks good, but I like to lock my leather jacket and my helmet to the bike on occasion. I have a 1700 Classic so no locking bags. I carry one of those stretchy cables with carabiner lock and thread jacket arm and helmet chin guard to bike. Keeps honest people honest... Lock and cable fill easily in my jacket pocket.
WEG

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
My 06 1500 has the "helmet hook " and the regular helmet lock. I am toying with the idea of moving the locks either to the windshield or the license plate frame so they will be useful as my saddle bags are in the way. (This thought is courtesy of "Gadget" from his page. Of course if someone wants the helmet or just to ruin your day all they have to do is cut the strap and walk off....
Dad always said a lock only keeps an honest person honest.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
txsalior,, I tried to take a pic,, but my camera will not focus that close without a tripod,,, evidently the helmet hook is part of the plastic tool pouch holder,, the upside down metal hook ,, I am assuming is to hold the cable for the seat release ? Shows all of you how long since I had a bike,,, as the last bike I had,,, had a regular kick stand AND a center one,,, so I am learning all over again !!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Here is a pic of the stock VN900LT Helmet lock as you find it under the seat. You can see the layout of the bracket.
That's a helmet lock?! I thought it was some over-engineered doohickey to keep that cable in place. Take the seat off to lock your helmet - I don't think so. Think I'll just continue to use the sissy bar.

·
Registered
221 Posts
eBay is full of helmet locks. All kinds and installations. That's where I bought mine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mine doesn't look anything like that Denis, Mine is on the right hand side, and part of the plastic tray that the tool pouch lays in,, I am going to have to buy one everyone else is writing about,,, cause it is a pain to unlock and try putting the seat back in place when it's dark or you are in a hurry !

1 - 20 of 24 Posts