Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whatever happened to the manufacturers putting helmet lock on the bike my Kz700 had 2 on it and I used it quite often.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I got back into riding just this year, after a dozen years away, and was surprised by the lack of that feature as well. All my older bikes had 'em. I'm not sure why they're not as popular. The Vulcan has one under the seat, according to the manual, but it's so inconvenient I haven't even looked at it. I understand you can add one as an accessory to crash/highway bars, if desired. But like you, I'd like to see one just as a standard feature and located in a convenient spot.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The one under the seat is basically a hook and if you use it, your helmet has the potential to mar and scratch everything on the side of the bike..

·
Registered
427 Posts
The one under the seat is basically a hook and if you use it, your helmet has the potential to mar and scratch everything on the side of the bike..
Yep, inconvenient...*and* impractical. Makes you wonder why they even bothered. I just strap my helmet to my Cobra sissybar and trust in the honesty of my fellow man. So far I've been lucky...

·
Registered
976 Posts
My 50 dollar Bell I put on the sissy bar. my 400 dollar helmet I LOCK to the sissy bar. I bought one of those tube mount helmet locks, formed a couple of half rounds out of plastic cutting board and mounted it there. It's up where it won't rub on things, doesn't look fantastic but it gets the job done.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Hlemet lock

I totally agree. My last 2 goldwings had 2 locks built in and were very convenient. Then I used my extra space to help friends lock their helmets in my luggage space. Now that I drive a V2K I bought the Kuryakyn helmet lock and mounted it on my engine guards. Looks good and works good.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The 900 is a budget bike.
The helmet lock...like the tach, the sixth gear, the metal parts, and all the other gee-wizz options didn't make the budget.

I use a $1.99 lock through the D-rings when I lock my helmet to my bike. Mostly I don't worry about it. My saddle bags don't lock either---that also didn't make it into the budget, I guess....:D

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did not know about the one under the seat. I'll check that out. Saturday night my wife and I took a ride to Gettysburg just to walk around the shops and have dinner it sucked carrying our helmets. I dont see the point of locking my helmet to the bike while riding because there is a spot for it on my head!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Note on getting the seat off. Sometimes the seat latch seems hard to turn with the key. I found that if you push down on the seat right above the latch, the key will turn easily. This is especially true with my Saddleman seat. Just figured I would save someone a bent key.

And oh yeah, I don't lock my helmet. It was only about $50 brand new anyway. And if someone wants to stick their head in my 3 year old sweat stained brain bucket, I hope they enjoy themselves. Personally I would rather wear someone else's dirty socks! I usually just sit it on the left floor board over the toe peg. I even try to park so that side is away from the sun so the helmet stays cool.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
+1 for throwing it over the sissy bar, and if you're worried about the helmet walking away, there are quite a few cheap (5-20 dollar) retractable cable locks on the market that you can use to secure it to the sissy bar. There are a couple of tube mount helmet locks that require a key as well (as MrClean mentioned) that can be mounted in various locations. I know one guy that mounted one to one of the passenger pegs (note: NON-pipe side ;) ). His wife can still ride with no trouble, but it serves to secure his helmet when they're off and walking around.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I put mine on the passenger backrest. No one ever bothers it. I've left it out like that all day without problems. I have helmet locks, but they're under the saddlebag mounts. Not much of a help.

It's like kick starters. Bikes don't have them anymore. Most don't even have center stands anymore. Of course, I doubt I'd be able to put my bike on a center stand if it had one, but even smaller bikes don't have them. At least, not in the cruiser category, anyway.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Note on getting the seat off. Sometimes the seat latch seems hard to turn with the key. I found that if you push down on the seat right above the latch, the key will turn easily. This is especially true with my Saddleman seat. Just figured I would save someone a bent key.

Yup, for sure bent one of my keys really nice when i first got my bike :D
Stopped using the helmet lock after that

1 - 13 of 13 Posts