Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day, I just traded my V-Star 250 and moved up to the Vulcan S. I am getting used to it, big difference. One nice thing that Yamaha did was put on a helmet lock on the bike. I used it all the time, so when I got the Vulcan and saw it did not have one I ordered it through Kawasaki. What a surprise, $165 (Can) for the lock, then $22 more to have it configured to my key. This simple little item cost almost $200!
I imagine it would cost Kawasaki next to nothing, maybe $25 to install at the factory. I am shocked at the outrageous markups in their prices. Is there a real cost to these items or is this just a money making exercise. It makes me re-consider the other items I want to add, lights, windscreen, bags etc.

·
Registered
933 Posts
If you don’t mind having a separate key, eBay has some on there for $17. Exact same configuration as the KawI one. It’s what I put on my Vulcan S and it worked just fine. I can handle carrying another key on the ring and saving $150 bucks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you don’t mind having a separate key, eBay has some on there for $17. Exact same configuration as the KawI one. It’s what I put on my Vulcan S and it worked just fine. I can handle carrying another key on the ring and saving $150 bucks.
I am learning to look elsewhere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought one on Amazon and mounted it to the rubber base of the right rear view mirror. Since I usually keep my helmet there its easy enough to lock it if I need to. Not a big deal to have an extra key on my ring.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm sure that if you took that lock assembly to a locksmith with your keys they would be able to rekey it for you and I bet it wouldn't even cost that much,, provided it's actually a Kawi assembly and not a knock off with a random cylinder.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm sure that if you took that lock assembly to a locksmith with your keys they would be able to rekey it for you and I bet it wouldn't even cost that much,, provided it's actually a Kawi assembly and not a knock off with a random cylinder.
Yeah, unfortunately it's a different style.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I picked one of these up, rubber coated and you can go to the frame, handle bars or backrest if you have one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Check out the link below. The Lidlox mount looks well designed for a very reasonable price and I got an email response from the owner within 15 minutes.That alone almost convinced me and then I checked out the entire site and ordered the bolt mount. My thinking is mounting the helmet on the mirror with the top up will keep the interior dry if it rains. Also I worried about the helmet hanging loose and banging against the bike it it hangs from the bar end plus the open end will be up if it rains. (Living in Florida sudden rain is a constant.) I'll update this thread with photos as soon as I get it installed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good Day, I just traded my V-Star 250 and moved up to the Vulcan S. I am getting used to it, big difference. One nice thing that Yamaha did was put on a helmet lock on the bike. I used it all the time, so when I got the Vulcan and saw it did not have one I ordered it through Kawasaki. What a surprise, $165 (Can) for the lock, then $22 more to have it configured to my key. This simple little item cost almost $200!
I imagine it would cost Kawasaki next to nothing, maybe $25 to install at the factory. I am shocked at the outrageous markups in their prices. Is there a real cost to these items or is this just a money making exercise. It makes me re-consider the other items I want to add, lights, windscreen, bags etc.
Wow.....that's a lot of money to lock a helmet.....I purchased a 16" cable gun lock with 2 keys at Walmart for under $10.00. It works great. I simply run the cable through the frame and lock my helmet.. I have purchased many accessories for my Vulcan S and the majority of items are after-market. For instance, my wind screen is from National Cycle, engine guard and saddle bags plus mounting bracket from Revzilla, Denali 2.0 LED running lights and Admore LED progressive brake & tail light from Twisted Throttle, Fiam Freeway Blaster horn from Ebay, Pirelli Angel GT tires from Revzilla, Luxury touring seat from Corbin. Finally, I recently purchased a rear luggage rack and seat rest from E-bay. The only items I have purchased directly from Kawasaki was a shorter gear shift linkage, gear shift indicator light and USB charging port. If you do a little research you can save a great deal of money and get some high quality accessorizes as well. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I found a carabiner with a combination lock on Amazon. The intended use was for moms to secure their purses securely to strollers but it does double duty for locking helmets to motorcycles. Never lost a helmet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts