Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put on a Transitions visor on my Shoei helmet yesterday. With that additional item, I've got a good bit of cash tied up in my helmet. I want to get a helmet lock. I don't see why Kawasaki charges over $100 for theirs.

I want one that will utilize my ignition key. I have no problem reworking the tumblers, but the key needs to fit in the slot.

Anyone have an idea on an alternative helmet lock that isn't crazy stupid overpriced? I see several on eBay that are supposed to be Vulcan S specific, but that doesn't mean the key will fit.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've been looking for the same thing. The expensive part is being able to use your ignition key.

I'm also considering side bags or a top box.

Also, I really like this double helmet bag: https://www.deemeed.com/products-deemeed/helmet-bag-double/. It's waterproof, built with a stainless steel mesh liner, cable for locking, you can put your gear in it as well. It's not cheap but if you don't want luggage it's nice.

Opinions?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have locking saddlebags?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No. Nor do I want any. I do have the rear seat and a sissy bar. I've been trying with the idea of a small lock that would go around the backrest support, but I like the idea of a permanent one more.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm looking for some alternatives. I found another OEM Kawasaki helmet lock. Part number 99994-1037. I just gotta figure out if the keys are the same for the 650s and the Ninja 400 of the same year. Cost is under $40 and looks really promising.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I'm looking for some alternatives. I found another OEM Kawasaki helmet lock. Part number 99994-1037. I just gotta figure out if the keys are the same for the 650s and the Ninja 400 of the same year. Cost is under $40 and looks really promising.

Based on my research, the lock is similar and may work the Vulcan S and the Ninja both use the “one key” system.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/kawasaki/11056-7089?ref=1132e3a1199ed7b1c6da313dfdb186c5f9b69854

62.08 bracket for Vulcan S

Just get the OEM lock it’s cheaper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I bought the one for the Ninja. It'll be here in a couple of days.

I want to fiddle with it a bit and see if it would be a cheaper quality alternative. I'll report back with what I come up with. I could always mount it directly to my sissy bar, but I'm going to try to find a spot that works for folks without one. If you look at it there is a tapered hole through the lock itself that should allow for multiple mounting options. Not just the KVS specific one.

Alternatively, I could attach a bar clamp to it and use some Torx bolts and nylon nuts to attach to the rear peg framework.

·
Registered
51 Posts
This is what i use, not this brand but it attaches to my sissy bar
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Coiling-Resettable-Combination-Complimentary-Mounting/dp/B078TXSSR4/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2VF0GR8CMD87L&keywords=bike+lock&qid=1558179703&s=gateway&sprefix=bike+loc%2Caps%2C152&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well at least we know the key will work with this lock. I LOVE how easy Kawasaki made it to key the lock. Directions are super clear and easy to understand.

I haven't started looking at mounting alternatives yet. There is a tapered hole through the lock and a locating pin on the back.

I'll update once I figure it out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts