Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the proud new owner of an 08 900 Classic. Like many others, when I purchased the bike I picked out a helmet from the dealer as well. I got an HJC open face helmet with a flip up visor and a retractible sun shield. I've used it for a few hundred miles now and it is not comfortable and it gets very hot here in the so fla sun. I've been considering a half helmet. I've tried a few on, but cannot find a local place that has a large selection. They seem to make my large irish mellen turn into a mushroom when I look in the mirror. What do you guys wear? What do you do for eye protection? Do you need ear protection with the half helmets?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've got an odd shaped mellon and I use a Vega half shell. I like it because it sits lower on my head and is not too bulky and is really light. IMO Fulmer, Outlaw, Shoei, Bell are all too heavy and bulky. So for my it was Vega. I found it at a Honda dealership. What you need to do is got and try on as many as you can before you buy they all fit different. and get one with vents it makes a big difference. I live in South Louisiana and it gets pretty hot and humid down here. I also have a windshield and don't need ear protection. For eye protection I just wear shatterproof glasses

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also have a large Irish melon and I got the Vega half helmet. I also bought a full Shoei helmet but found that with the half helmet and no windshield I feel more confortable with earplugs especially at highway speeds. I also have safety glasses with clear and dark lenses.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Granted I am in NW Pa and do not get the heat of Fla but what we have here is humidity and lots of it. Couple that with me being a big guy and I understand how helmets get hot. IMO however I would never go with a "brain bucket" I use an AFX full face. Now with my LT windshield being so big I do ride with my face shield up a lot of times and wear my stylish safety glasses, UVEX brand or I have a set of faux Harley ones.

My point is non of us want to go down on the pavement but as my safety course instructor put it last Summer, "it's not a question of IF you'll go down but WHEN." Therefore I am into protection. I am quite fond of my eyes, ears and chin, face and scalp so that is why I choose to wear a helmet and that choice is full face. I also wear Mechanix wear MPact gloves and Joe Rocket textile Vulcan gloves and a Joe Rocket / Power Trip Mojave jacket. The jacket has a removable rain liner (that REALLY works) and body armor that I hope I will never have to test out. It also moves a lot of air and keeps me cool.

My wife and I wear jeans but we are both looking into getting the rider pants denims just in case.

Wear I have skimped over the last year is foot wear but I finally found a rider boot design at Ravenrock that I had th em order in. It is not easy for me to find footwear in the 13 double wide or 14W sizes.

I guess I said all this just to say you should think about our body parts and would you may be willing to live with out if you think that your present comfort level is suffering. Also consider that many full face helmets are being designed to strategically move air in and out of them for cooling. Hey if that doesn't work try a modular helmet. Just remember, you only get one head and you may not be the most handsome guy on the planet but you always look better with your head on your shoulders :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
I wear a Fulmer AF-82 half helmet. It has a zip off ear cover that does a great job of knocking down the noise. For eye protection I have a windshield and wear tinted safety glasses for day, yellow for night.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I found a shop in Fort Lauderdale that actually had a large selection of helmets and tried some on. I picked a Fulmer 81 Glory. I also purchased two pair of goggles (clear and tinted) with foam around the eyes to block the wind. My first gut reaction afer riding around town and a short stint on the highway is that for around town, the half hemet is much cooler in the Fla heat. The downside is that the foam on the goggles block some peripheral vision. Too much actually. I'll be looking for better eye protection.

On the highway, I much perfer my HJC IS 3/4 helmet with mask and retractable sun shield for sure. Between the wind, and road noise, it seems like a sure winner for the longer cruise.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I purchased a pair of motorcycle glasses with transission lens. I love them they are great. As for my helmet I have a HJC half shell and as where I live in Nova Scotia we only have a few days where it is really hot.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got a skid lid for short trips where i want that open road feeling. I got goggles (Bobster something) because i wear contacts and needed some sort of wind protection. the 2nd time i rode to work with the goggles i had a rock hit me smack dead in the middle of the goggles and make a big chip in them. If i wouldnt have been wearing them i would have been in deep S#$+! I was on the DC beltway when it happened and now wont even think about riding without eye wear. Only takes one random rock to ruin an eye. seems like 10-30 dollar purchase is worth that...

The skid lid is a dot approved helmet so it does have that mushroom look but it when it comes to looks vs some safety i got it. I thought about a skull cap helmet but in the grand scheme of things i am not worried about my riding skills, i am worried about the other donkey.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts