Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a noob. I borrowed a friend's helmet. Now I'm torn between spending more on a nice helmet and use it til it's not safe anymore, or getting a less expensive (that doesn't mean less safe) helmet for the summer while I practice at slower speeds. Then get the nicer one when I'm more confident at higher speeds (maybe next summer while looking out for deals this fall), using the first helmet for passengers someday. What do you think?

I previously posted this in the wrong forum, sorry for the double post.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
If it's DOT approved use it. Regardless of $ the standard is the standard. Now cosmetics are our option. Revolvers, shields, graphics, bluetooth all add cost without changing the compliance to the standard. Just never ride without it. Enjoy and Ride Safe!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Bear's got it right. A $70 dollar helmet saved my life. I've got a $90 bell FF that is very nice, comfy, and DOT and I've got a Bell Mag 8 3/4 that is also very nice (old school look) DOT and cost only $50.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I use a "SKULL KRUSH" carbon fiber shorty lid and love it ! DOT KAN KMA ! I have a full selection of other DOT helmets and they are too heavy and uncomfortable, I don't use them.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If it's DOT approved use it. Regardless of $ the standard is the standard. Now cosmetics are our option. Revolvers, shields, graphics, bluetooth all add cost without changing the compliance to the standard. Just never ride without it. Enjoy and Ride Safe!
second that,I use a skid lid half helmet polycabonate.comp.best all day wearing lid I ever owned, not exspensive but d.o.t approved!!!:cool:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pricier does not equal a safer helmet. Just better ventilation (maybe), quieter (maybe), better graphics and longer lasting fittings. Worth it?
I was looking at the Sharp testing results and the $160 AGV S-4 had a 5 star rating, the same as the $500 RF1100 I was looking at (with the graphics I like so much, mmmm). I'm going to try on an exo 750 tonight and maybe a AGV Stealth tomorrow (both the 700 and S4 are older models, not sure if they stock them)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ive used half helmets all my life, most recent a Scorpion. But Last week I switched to the Shoei 3/4 helmet. Mostly for the additional hearing protection and the ability for comm system.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Dont know if this will interest you but I got a Vega full face helmet from jafrum.com with built in bluetooth and a drop down sun shield for $119 and free shipping. Got one for me and my wife so we can chat while riding. I can also stream music from my iPhone in stereo when I ride alone or answer my phone. It is DOT approved as well.
-Art

·
Registered
165 Posts
go to leatherup.com. best prices on everything bikers need including helmets. I have bought tons of stuff from them with no problems.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Also try The Helmet Center. They have a lot of video reviews on their stock that was really helpful to me in choosing my helmet. I would recommend looking at their videos, getting an idea of what you would like, and then going to your local store to try them on.
Remember, if a helmet isn't comfortable, you're not going to want to wear it. That being said, I'm in love with my Bell Vortex which cost all of $180. Don't think you need to spend 5-6-700 dollars to get something comfortable.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
I just bought the Bell Pit Boss half helmet. Primarily for the flip down eye shield. Has great coverage over the eyes for faster speeds. It also has an adjustment in the back to tighten the helmet to your head after you put on. Very light and comfortable. $120

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
$50 or $500 doesn't matter if it's not comfortable. Find a dot helmet that fits and wear it. If it's not comfortable you won't wear it and $50 or $500 it doesn't matter it won't do you any good.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
My only suggestion is to use a reputable helmet that is not brand-new to the market.

D.O.T. ratings are given when you send in a few forms stating the manufacturer performed the tests themselves. Helmets are pulled all the time because it's discovered testing was never done, and/or it doesn't even come close to passing the tests, yet lots of guys are riding around thinking they have D.O.T. helmets.

That's my only caution I'd offer. You can't go wrong with Bell, Shoei, HJC, Scorpion, etc. etc. But be wary of fly-by-night or no-name brands you find online cheap. Those helmets are kinda like state-minimum liability insurance. They don't protect you in most situations, they're just there to keep you legal.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, so I've decided to get the less costly helmet and wait for the Shoei to go down in price a little before pulling the trigger on that one, maybe towards the end of the summer when I've have some money aside. I know there are so many good helmets out there for under $200 at closeouts, that's where I'm looking for this first and later secondary helmet.

·
Registered
198 Posts
OK, so I've decided to get the less costly helmet and wait for the Shoei to go down in price a little before pulling the trigger on that one, maybe towards the end of the summer when I've have some money aside. I know there are so many good helmets out there for under $200 at closeouts, that's where I'm looking for this first and later secondary helmet.
I'm old school enough to wear a half-helmet most of the time, but I also have a 3/4 with internal flip-down shield that I wear when touring or in inclement weather. I chat with my wife over a headset. Then there is my very nice Shoei full-face helmet that I think I've worn twice. I don't like even a partial loss of my peripheral vision and besides, my bikes all have windshields.

For a new rider, I'd suggest an inexpensive 3/4-helmet with a clear shield, flip-up or snap-on. When you get another helmet, you can use it for a rider or when it rains, and if it gets scratched or dinged from use, nobody cares.

I would mention, I'm a big fan of white helmets. I tour with my wife and we both have them. I can attest that they are more visible than a coloured helmet and I want to be seen, in case they look before they pull out in front of me.

I'm also not a fan of buying helmets online. Yes, it's slightly more expensive, but if you shop at a dealership you can try on a variety of manufacturers and styles. Shapes and sizes are all over the map for "small", "medium" and "large", even within the same brand. A proper fitting helmet is most important for comfort, quiet and safety. A good clerk will educate you as well as fit you properly, and you will end up better for it.

Have fun and ride safe
Scott Fraser
Calgary

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did it!

I wanted to thank everyone for your input and sharing your experiences. I finally bought the EXO 400 Skull Bucket, Black. It'll be here in 4-5 business days. Can't wait! Wanted to get the EXO 700 which was actually $10 cheaper. Tried the 400 on and it was a little snug but not enough to be uncomfortable. It will be perfect after it packs in a little. It came down to the graphics since my research found an equal amount of people liked each of them. Some said it was noisy, some said it whistled, some say it vented badly some say it did well. So I'm under the impression it will probably perform based on my head shape. Maybe some heads push the liner closer to the vent holes and create whistling? I just had to buy one and see. I didn't like most of the 700 graphics, the only one I may like was more expensive and not as interesting to me. It came down to 700's Sinister Silver (more for the price and visibility without being a solid) and the Skull Bucket. I so wanted the Skull bucket and was confirmed when I showed pictures to a friend and he pointed to the Sinister and said "that looks stupid". Sold!

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts