Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always wear my full face helmet when riding my sport bike. I've been on my Vulcan constantly for the last year with NO helmet! I want to change this, but I'm such a picky person. I can't find a half helmet that I can deal with and looks good and possibly protect me. Maybe the reason is I really don't know my size??? I'm open to other helmets, but I never see myself doing a full face on a cruiser. I just can't! I tried my buddies half helmet on trip to Austin from Dallas. I took it off less than half way. I couldn't deal with the way the wind hit it and pushed it up. Anyone have advice or is going through this decision like me. Tell me. Let's talk.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hi IFV

Just curious as to why wear a full face on your sport bike and nothing on the cruiser? I don't get it... You feel like th full face doesn't go with the cruiser and you look weird? My suggestion...Think about why you wear the helmet in the sport bike...

I'm not trying to preach to you, your decision of course, but I don't see the rationale. Maybe just me, I'm a ATGATT sort of rider regardless of bike style. Your road rash and head damage won't care what kind of bike you fall off ?

WEG

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True WEG. Great point about the damage. It is the look of it. Just doesn't seem to fit to me, full face and cruiser. Just like sport bike and half face wouldn't fit. It's also my riding style. I'm way more cautious on a cruiser. Not saying I'm invincible, but way more cautious.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,856 Posts
I have three half helmets. They should fit snug. If you look on line they will tell you to measure you head to get an idea what size to get. You just gotta keep looking till you find one you like.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Any helmet that can save your head will have at least 1" of Styrofoam and most probably will make you a mushroom head, there are exceptions that will look better even with all the inside cushioning.

I personally like the Scorpion EXO-100, it has a built in visor and is comfortable. I had an accident with it and it saved my head although I had some rash and cuts on my face, still I bought another one of those but will not plan to take them to the highway again.

Of all the options a full face is the best, that is my personal opinion, but I'm biased because I have to test the helmet functionality with my own head.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Try different brands. Some brands fit different people differently. No two heads are the same. There will be brands that won't fit you no matter the size!

FWIW, I wear a full face on my cruiser as do many others. I guess, for me, it's about riding the motorcycle not "looking the part". Wear a half helmet, wear no helmet, do whatever you want. But, that's kind of the point. Do whatever YOU want, not what you think strangers who don't know you think you should do and look on YOUR bike. I personally find the full face to be a more comfortable solution. So I wear it, and I don't really think it looks all that bad.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
I wear a full face 95% of the time.. Pro, keeps the wind noise off my ears, bugs from spanking my forehead. and if it rains. Believe it or not you can actually hear better.. if you are worried about your hair.. bring a ball cap!!! lol. But as Romans said.. It's YOU that makes that decision. I was the same way when I younger on a R6 wore a helmet, shorts and sometimes cleats to play ball. got a cruiser wore jeans, boots, and no helmet.." trying to look the part".. after seeing what can happen... I wear it most of the time!!

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
First day of Bike week, it had a all day mist/ light rain..a few of my friends didn't have helmets. They were all envious that I had mine

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Why not a 3/4 helmet? Go to a shop that sells a lot of helmets and try some on of whatever type.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Around here about half the riders use a full face on a cruiser. The other half wear a skull cap. I wear a full face. I like the built in sun visor flip and the bugs don't smack my face a dusk.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I've always worn a full face. Just recently bought a new Scorpion EXO-1100 in flat black, added a tinted shield, love it.

·
BOTM Winner, October 2015
476 Posts
I'm following this one. I too am shopping for a better helmet. I have a huge gourd of a head and online order sizing doesn't work too well. The non-Harley shops have mostly sportbike styles. The HD stores carry overprice logo'd stuff. I just looked (online) at the Scorpion that davidr bought. Looks about right. Would like to try them on.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have always worn a full face helmet. This year I got a modular helmet. Have used it a few times so far and I really like it. Easy on and off and don't have to take my glasses off anymore. Can flip the front up to talk to people or take a drink. It is a G-Max GM44. It is on the cheaper side of helmets, but it was free so I can complain.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
If you can't get to a shop to try some on I'd recommend RevZilla. They video review most, if not all, of their helmets and discuss what shape of head the helmet fits best as well as how to size it. The comments are typically spot on for sizing if it isn't mentioned in the video.

I just bought the Scorpion EXO-C110. The sizing guide put me right on the borderline between small and medium so I got the medium. If I had purchased the small helmet I'm certain I would have had to exchange it. Revzilla has a great policy on that too.

I also have 3/4, modular, and full helmets I wear. I understand IFly's concern =) I can't bring myself to ride my KLR650 in anything less than a full or modular. On the other hand I won't hesitate to wear the full or modulars on my Voyager if it's going to rain =) Like SBG8R, I've kept my smile in some bad weather while my brainbucket riding partners get beat up by the weather.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Shark Evoline 3. Fully modular with the chin flipping to behind your head if you want. I use full face 90% of the time & open face if pottering around the city.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Shark Evoline 3. Fully modular with the chin flipping to behind your head if you want. I use full face 90% of the time & open face if pottering around the city.
That's the exact modular I use too. =)

It's pretty quirky for me. Sometimes it's tough to get it back to full-face and latch in properly without taking it off or with gloves on. Having to use the silicone lube on the rubber above the visor is also getting old. I find it to almost resonate my exhaust sound on my cruiser though. Extended rides with the face closed up are tiring and ear plugs don't seem to help.

Otherwise, it is a great helmet when you want both 3/4 and full face options in one helmet.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts