Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been riding for over 15 years and have always, ALWAYS ridden with a helmet, almost always a full-face. I've owned multiple Bell, HJC, Shoei, Arai (my current), and Z1R models. And I can't get a perfect fit from anything.

Circumference is 56.5cm, right between most makers' small and medium. Length is 19.5cm, width is 15cm (that's calipered, not over the dome). Nobody can tell me if I'm round, intermediate, or long oval. "Try them all on" is the most common advice, and ain't nobody got time to try on hundreds of different models for 30 minutes each. Intermediates like my Defiant leave gaps at the temples. Longs like my previous Signet-Q clamp my temples even after removing the peel-aways. Rounds like my old Quantum and HJCs clamp my forehead and occipital ridge.

Anyone got any useful advice for a mutant with a weird head?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Take a tie-down strap to your head and ratchet it till it hurts.

Smear KY jelly all around your head.

Walk.

Take a jig saw and cut out the helmet where it hurts.

Remove your ears so there will be less pressure on the sides.

Or keep trying on helmets, I guess. :) (Its the price you pay for living in Arizona but using Metric system measurements. Hey! Maybe that's the answer! Buy helmets measured in inches instead of that foreign stuff.)

·
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner
862 Posts
I read your post and did a little research. From your post it definitely seems like you've done your fitment correct according to what I found. And yep, you fall in-between small and medium.

I know there are some makers that offer different pads to adjust for specific detailed fitment. Some sellers offer a replacement if it doesn't fit correctly after the sale.

From my past experience most shops that sell helmets are only basically trained in fitting a helmet. I believe that you need someone properly trained in fitment technique.

I respect that you are giving it the proper attention for a correct fitting. It's the sort of thing that could one day save your life. Certainly worth the time and effort.

Good luck with your search. Wish I could've helped more.

·
Registered
101 Posts
@coinneach

I dont know what they say or teach where you are, but i have always been taught that a proper helmet fit should fit snug around your entire head, whilst pressing quite firmly onto your face cheeks.
The helmet shouldnt really be putting a lot of pressure anywhere else. And also forget sizes, because sizes dont mean anything unless you stick with one particular manufacture and one particular helmet type.

Thats how i pick'n'choose my helmet fittings.

Cheers,

·
Registered
360 Posts
It sounds goofy, but I had a buddy take a picture of my head from the top. I then used microsoft paint to fill in all the area of the picture that was my head with a solid color. Looking at the pic alone, I couldn't tell what shape I was. But after filling it in with a solid color, I easily saw I was an oval shape. Ended up buying an Arai Signet. Fits great.

·
Registered
126 Posts
So I've been riding for over 15 years and have always, ALWAYS ridden with a helmet, almost always a full-face. I've owned multiple Bell, HJC, Shoei, Arai (my current), and Z1R models. And I can't get a perfect fit from anything.

Circumference is 56.5cm, right between most makers' small and medium. Length is 19.5cm, width is 15cm (that's calipered, not over the dome). Nobody can tell me if I'm round, intermediate, or long oval. "Try them all on" is the most common advice, and ain't nobody got time to try on hundreds of different models for 30 minutes each. Intermediates like my Defiant leave gaps at the temples. Longs like my previous Signet-Q clamp my temples even after removing the peel-aways. Rounds like my old Quantum and HJCs clamp my forehead and occipital ridge.

Anyone got any useful advice for a mutant with a weird head?
WEBBIKEWORLD.COM has a lot of helmet reviews and rates them for quality and head shape. I'm larger and am an intermediate oval. This is probably sacrilege, but I pull the lining and do a bit of sanding on the styrofoam removing any pokey spots, I find removing a fraction of a mm at the right spot works. The other technique is to put up with the annoyance until your skull squashes the styrofoam at the nasty spots. I don't think it compromises the helmet much, and a comfy helmet seems the safer choice. Take my suggestion at your own risk.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I sent my numbers to the Revzilla Gear Geeks, who hooked me up with one of their people with the same head shape and size as me. He recommended that I re-check out Shoei and go for the small. I tried on an RF-1200, J-Cruise, and Neotec II this morning at my local gear shop. I had tried the RF-1100 previously and instantly hated it, but the 1200 and Neotec today were perfect. I put the Neotec on layaway and will pick it up on Friday.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
What rolavine said about webbikeworld.com and the size/shape review. Look for a helmet or helmets on their list that you have tried and found to be a good (or bad) fit and see where it falls in the shape profile. You may not find a helmet you are interested in on the list, but you might find some reviews that discuss head shape fit for that helmet.

·
Registered
126 Posts
... This is probably sacrilege, but I pull the lining and do a bit of sanding on the styrofoam removing any pokey spots, I find removing a fraction of a mm at the right spot works.
I failed to disclose that the top of my thinly covered head contains a near perfect relief map of the Himalayas!

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is probably to late but..... I use to work at a dealership. I will tell you this. If you have not put the helmet on your head, I don't recommend you buy it. I have seen sizes differ on the same helmets made by the same company. I always say... buy local after trying it on. To tight and you will get a headache. To loose and you will hate the wobble.

·
Registered
175 Posts
i have an hjc modular helmet, and it fits my small oval head pretty good with a medium. a little noisy compared to some helmets though

1 - 11 of 11 Posts