Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would a light colored helmet be cooler in hot temps than a black? I have a black Scorpion now and am thinking about getting a silver one if it would mean having a cooler head on those steamy summer days.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Would a light colored helmet be cooler in hot temps than a black? I have a black Scorpion now and am thinking about getting a silver one if it would mean having a cooler head on those steamy summer days.
;)

·
Registered
430 Posts

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
702 Posts
If that's the case, wouldn't a chrome or white helmet work even better since it'll be reflecting all of the light back...
NOOOOOOO. Please, not a chrome helmet. There's a Hardley rider in my area that chromed HIS ENTIRE BIKE. Not a spot of paint on it. He compliments this design with a chrome "nazi style" beanie helmet.

White is perfectly acceptable, but please don't be a "chrome dome". :p

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If that's the case, wouldn't a chrome or white helmet work even better since it'll be reflecting all of the light back...

My bike is black and silver, that's why I'm thinking of getting silver --assuming it would be cooler than the black. It's got to match. We metric cruiser guys have to look good..

·
Registered
430 Posts
NOOOOOOO. Please, not a chrome helmet. There's a Hardley rider in my area that chromed HIS ENTIRE BIKE. Not a spot of paint on it. He compliments this design with a chrome "nazi style" beanie helmet.

White is perfectly acceptable, but please don't be a "chrome dome". :p
LoL was talking more in the scientific sense of the matter.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I think silver would be cooler. I'm in the same boat with a black scorpion helmet. When I get another one I'll get silver. If you wnat to be really cool though, go with chrome and then start chroming your bike...

·
Registered
702 Posts
I think silver would be cooler. I'm in the same boat with a black scorpion helmet. When I get another one I'll get silver. If you wnat to be really cool though, go with chrome and then start chroming your bike...
Ew. Haha

LoL was talking more in the scientific sense of the matter.
Speaking strictly scientifically, ssssss..... just kidding.

I believe if the silver is a light shade, as opposed to a gunmetal gray, it will have about the same effect as a white or *shudder* chrome lid. However, being perspective, a white car and a black car both get too hot when the windows are rolled up, though the white car MAY be a bit more bearable. Personally, I would go with ventilation over color (plus black helmets are cheaper).

I don't know how the Scorpion is designed, but I got a HJC CS-R1 dirt cheap when they started introducing the next year's models. The vents are alright, but what I like to do is crack the shield just a little bit. There's three shield positions: Open, half, cracked, and closed. The "cracked" position lets in more air than the vents, and gives me a refreshing breeze when I'm sweating to death.

Of course, if you really want a shiny head, you could just shave your hair off... that'd keep you cool! :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't know if a light color would be cooler but a white helmet is very visible from the rear, so would be much safer. I am getting a new helmet this year and it will be definitely be white for that reason.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I have a friend who studies Physics at MIT. I was having a discussion with another rider who wanted a black helmet and I said "No way man that'll be too hot", and then Mr. MIT jumped in with a whole bunch of mumbo-jumbo that I didn't understand that, basically, said that the type of material helmets are made up will not change the amount of light or heat it reflects (noticeably) based on color.

I'll ask him to explain it to me again so I can write it down... but anyway, yeah, that's what he said. I dunno, mine is silver, I like it :)

·
Registered
307 Posts
There's three shield positions: Open, half, cracked, and closed. The "cracked" position lets in more air than the vents, and gives me a refreshing breeze when I'm sweating to death:D
Hey wait Zim! Dont go off half cracked. ;)

·
V2K Rogue Wrangler
1,112 Posts
I usually wear black pants but when the temps rise toward the 90's and the sun beats down mercilessly, I switch to light tan, khaki, or beige pants and there is a very noticeable difference in heat absorption. The black pants are unbearable and the light pants are bearable. So, I would assume that to a degree the helmet colors would also differ in heat absorption. The main difference between the pants and the helmet is that the styrofoam liner in the helmet acts as an insulator and prevents a lot of the absorbed heat from getting inside the helmet. I don't think the helmet color will make much if any difference in the inside temp in the helmet but the amount of heat absorbed in the outer shell will vary. I removed the cheek pads from my helmet and it let's a huge amount of air in to cool my face. (I learnt that frum Ponch, thanks Ponch)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Here are some temperature test results on the Schuberth Concept White vs. Black that were done in May 2005 to see the differences in temperature on both the outside shell and innr shell. Pretty interesting in the significant difference in the outside temperatures, but minimal difference in recorded temperature on the inside.

Helmet Temperature Testing

May 18.2005

Conditions: Outside Air Temp 90 degrees

Wind: Calm

Sunny/Clear

Pavement Temp: 123 degrees

TEST HELMET :Schuberth Concept White vs. Black

Method: Place two helmets on sidewalk 6 inches apart facing same direction in direct sunlight. Measure outer shell and interior periodically with digital infrared thermometer.

Time:_______Black Helmet Temp_______White Helmet Temp

2:45PM______Outer Shell: 81.5________Outer Shell: 81.5
2:50PM______Outer Shell: 144.0_______Outer Shell: 107.0
3:00PM______Outer Shell: 154.0_______Outer Shell: 106.5
3:20PM______Outer Shell: 149.0_______Outer Shell: 108.5
3:40PM______Outer Shell: 155.0_______Outer Shell: 113.0
4:00PM______Outer Shell: 155.0_______Outer Shell: 114.0

Time:_______Black Helmet Temp_______White Helmet Temp

2:45PM______Inner Shell: 90.0_________Inner Shell: 85.0
2:50PM______Inner Shell: 101.0________Inner Shell: 101.5
3:00PM______Inner Shell: 96.0_________Inner Shell: 95.5
3:20PM______Inner Shell: 108.0________Inner Shell: 108.0
3:40PM______Inner Shell: 110.0________Inner Shell: 109.5
4:00PM______Inner Shell: 111.0________Inner Shell: 110.5

Test Summary:

The black helmet measured considerably higher temperature readings on the outer shell as compared to the white helmet. As high as 47.5 degrees higher. However, the interior temperature readings were much closer. Variance was very slim and never more than 1 full degree. At times, the Black interior was slightly cooler than the white.

Conclusion:

Many customers believe that a lighter helmet makes for a cooler head. As you see above, this doesn't hold water. Granted, a darker helmet will be hotter to pick up off the seat of your bike, but once on your head the difference isn't noticeable. Also, for those out there that feel wearing a helmet is hotter than not wearing one at all, you're incorrect. The helmet, due to the insulating factors of Styrofoam, will shield your head from the sun/heat. A well vented helmet is always cooler than a naked head in direct sunlight.

http://www.helmetharbor.com/articles/helmet_temperature_testing.htm

Look here: http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?137456-Helmet-color-and-heat&p=1527067&viewfull=1#post1527067

I copied the tables out of post #15 (the original source is gone).

Cheers,
Bo

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I crack my visor too and that's usually all I need. If its really hot I use safety glasses and run with the visor up. Most pictures I've seen of a post-crash full face involve a shattered or completely removed visor, so in my mind (though I don't have any research to back that claim up) good safety glasses and the chin bar will provide a reasonable amount of protection from debris, and from a crash. When my visor is up it feels just fine!

My only other comment on the color is visibility. Before I got my bike, I started paying close attention to how different bikes and different riders looked at night from inside my cage. I found that black helmets rendered a floating headlight and possibly driving lights if they had them and nothing else. Brighter helmets were visible from behind and sometimes from the front. The best though (kind of obvious) was reflective tape on the helmet. To be honest I think it's more important for your BIKE to be visible than your head, but if your worried about the visibility of yourself on your bike, reflective clothing and/or reflective tape on your helmet will work better than even the brightest fluorescent yellow-green helmet.

That said, I did want to get a lighter color when I got mine simply because I noticed you could see the riders head when you drove behind them if they had a light colored helmet. Plus the silver matches my bike nicely! :p

The real question is, which helmet stickers make you the fastest...

·
Registered
641 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
We wear an HJC half helmet that is black with grey ghost flames. We sit our helmets on the seats when we get off to keep the sun from warming the bun-holders too much. I've never had an issue with a hot helmet. Never had someone see me or not because of the color of my head.

·
Registered
259 Posts
ventilation trumps color choice, besides, shiny reflects no matter what color, dull absorbs no matter what color. of course dull, textured darker colors will absorb heat much better than shiny smooth white things, but then again, you got all that styrofoam that insulates the heat created by your noggin anyways. finally, air flow around the outside will keep the temp of the outside much cooler than whatever the sun can do to warm it back up.

want a cool helmet? buy a pricy but comfortable high end helmet and it will vent fantastically.

el paso summers are brutal, often temps reach over 110 and the sunlight is offensive to say the least. el paso's nickname is sun city. so take it for what its worth.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts