Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I went to a fair last night. One of my paranoid ideas is that while my helmet is locked to the bike, there is nothing preventing someone from messing with it. They could cut the strap and take the helmet, or pour something into the helmet.

What I have been looking for is a bag with large holes in the zipper handle that when zipped up, will lock to the bike. I have found one, http://www.deemeed.com/accessories/helmet-security-bag/, but it isn't exactly what I was looking for. I wanted one that would lock using the locks on the bike. I may have to settle for a couple of these.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
While that is a concern, I just leave my helmet and try to relax. As dad always said, the only thing a lock does is keep out an honest person.
Not trying to sound like a smart aleck, leave the helmet at home.....
My helmet just goes on the sissy bar and sits there patiently waiting for me to return.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Half helmets and full face helmets are a different story. Full face helmets look expensive and a potential thief could bring in one and get some cash at a pawn shop.

I worry about my FF helmet too. I lock the d-rings together with a small lock, around the sissy bar. But, that doesn't stop people from messing with it, cutting the lock, cutting the straps, etc. If I ever feel worried about it, it just comes in with me. ANymore about the only place my helmet gets left on is places where I'm not worried about it being messed with (homes of family and friends, when I'm with a bunch of other people, etc.) If I feel like I should be locking it, I just take it in with me if possible.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
What knucklehead or pawn shop is going to buy a helmet with the straps / D-rings cut off?
You'd think, but there are stories on this forum and elsewhere, including some folks I've met who have had their nice shiny helmets cut right off their bikes. Nobody ever said a petty thief was smart! A friend of the family owns a pawn shop in town and he told me he has had several come through. He doesn't buy them, of course, but that doesn't mean some idiot didn't already cut them and take them there thinking he could get away with it. All it takes is a clean cut and some guy who doesn't know helmets very well to buy and and not think about the missing D-rings.

Remember the general population thinks that anything that isn't a sport bike (which they call a Ninja, regardless of brand) is a Harley. Could be a 70's inline Kawasaki, it's still a Harley (buddy rides a KZ750 and it gets called a Harley all the time). So I don't think it's too far fetched to think the non-riding population is just as clueless about helmets as they are bikes in general.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate all the comments. I lock the helmets to the bike using the built in lock. I really live in a low crime city. I have a Shoei helmet my brother-in-law gave me. I looked up the price and realize that I can't afford to replace it. I probably need to next year though.

I used to ride without a helmet. T-Boned a car a couple of years ago. Made me do some thinking.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My last bike(ZX-9R) had two helmet locks under the rear seat, which I used anytime we needed to leave the helmets with the bike. The Vulcan does not really have a good helmet lock in my opinion. I bought a bike lock(with a key) that I loop around my backrest. I know it only keeps the honest/lazy thief's away, but at least it is something.

I also have chatter boxes which gets removed and placed in my pocket when I leave.

Call me paranoid, but I don't want to drop $600.00 for two new helmets and $200.00 for chatter boxes.

ED

1 - 8 of 8 Posts