Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I signed up a few months ago but never posted much. I have been busy with a 97 Vn1500A that I bought and finally I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I for months it has been what I worked on in my spare time. Now that I am almost through with it I will miss all the searching for parts and solving all the puzzles involved in a total rebuild. I still have a few things to work out but I am close.
When I sent it out for paint I decided to have that big chrome tanktop fuel gauge removed and not put it back. I did that so I could have more of the tank show after it was painted. I like it a lot better. Now I have to find a chrome gas cap that will fit. I am still using that black plastic one that has the finget tabs on it, but I don't want to keep it like that. Does anyone have any ideas for where I can find a gas cap that will fit. The cap is a twist on one. Not one that has threads and screws on.
I have seen a lot of really nice bikes here on the forum. Let me know what you think of mine. I would welcome any responses.
Robert

Attachments

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Welcome East Texas from Northwest Texas. Sharp looking and from what I can tell, nice paint job. It's a good feeling when you do things youself isn't it. Glad to have you with us.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Nice

Swet ride, not much on flames but it looks great.

What's the back story on the bike, was it just sitting for a long time or what?

I would love to have the skill to complete a total rebuild, great job dude.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yea, i'm more into the stock, classic original look but that's not a bad looking bike.:cool: I would also like to know the story behind it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found this bike on Craigslist in a neighboring town. I had been looking for something to fix up for my wife and I to take some small weekend trips on for a while. When I went and looked at it, it was a mess. I think the only tool the young guy had was a hacksaw. He had cut off the exhaust pipes, luckily he cut them just past the headers. He had cut the front fender off. He had take the hacksaw to the shocks and cut them both so the fender was barely off the back tire. It was missing a side cover and had a bungi holding the battery in. No mirrors. And he had taken some apehanger handlebars off a friends wrecked Harley and had painted them black and put them on it. It had no turn signals and the passenger seat was held on with another bungi. It had no bracket under it and it just slide side to side as you road it. And he had a Harley sissybar on it too. To get that on he had to drill holes all over the back fender.
It was loud as all get out but the thing cranked up and ran great. Oh, and no title. The previous owner had moved and lost the title. Then before it could be found and sent to him another couple moves had been made and contact was lost. I ran a check on the VIN and it was clean, not stolen I also tried to do a little search to get it but ran into a dead end. So to make it legal I had to Buy a frame with the title and swap it over.
I swapped everything over to the new frame and then started collecting as many new parts as I could find. Once I had all missing parts assembled I bought the bags and made the mounts and fit everything on it. Then I took it all down again so it could be painted. I new the general colors and I finally decided on and Ice Pearl Gold as the main color with a Pearl red for the flames. A young guy I found near town did the paintjob for me. He really blew me away with it too. I told him basically what I wanted and told him to take that and add his own touch to it. Oh and when I was going over things with him for the paintjob I asked him if he could remover the brackets on the tank holding the chrome tank cover. I wanted it off so more of the paint details could show and I never liked having to unlock it and then reach down inside and removing another cap to put gas in the tank. Now I just need to find a nice chrome gas cap to fit and do away with that black plastic one.
I have pictures of each thing I have done and will post some of them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the welcoming replys. I must say you guys have some awesome rides. I happened on this Vulcan when I bought it. But I think it is going to be something I will hold onto for a long time. The more I do to it and the more I ride it the more I love it. Oh, I forgot to mention the new seats I had made for it. I wanted flames done on them too. I actually had them done way before I had the paint even picked out for the rest of the bike. I had a Tribal flame inlayed on both rider and passenger seats. The flames are done in Faux aligator. I wanted the real thing but the aligator wanted way too much for his hide.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hello

Hi Tex, welcome to the forum. Nice looking bike and I really like the seat, nice job. Enjoy the forum and all the good info here.:)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Awesome

That's an awesome story on that bike, should have taken the hack saw and smacked that kid with it. I'd hang on to it for a long time as well, you've really done a great job with it.
Looking forward to seeing some pics of it when you were working on it, and a close up of the gas tank if you could =)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Nice job on that bike, man you did a heckuva lotta work!!. Btw that seat looks comfy for sure :)

Welcome to the forums.

NM

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you again for the compliments. I am proud of how it turned out and can't wait for some nice warm days to ride.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts