Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While we're enjoying some winter weather and I can't ride I figured I could surf the internet some. Was gonna post here but then figured out I'm block till I say hi. Anyways I'm up in Norther Colorado, 30 mins North of Denver. Haven't owned a bike in 20 years but got back into it last year when my wife and I struck up a conversation about her always wanting to know how to ride and well of course I was willing to help with that. Not teach her of course, that would be divorce material, but go to class with her. So off we went and a couple of used bikes were bought. Her Honda VT600C didn't last long as it's was a gutless wonder and she was ready for more, so she took over the Triumph America that I had bought and I'm rolling a 2011 Vaquero that I was lucky enough to get from a guy that only road it 1900 miles. That's right, I'm not missing any digits there. It's like new and I've been steadily at sprucing it up.

It came with Cobra slip-ons, but no one ever tuned it so I installed a Dobeck TFI and got it all dialed it, which helped a TON. Installed the Racnray modified ISO grips, new Polk Audio speakers and Clarion amp. Windvest windshield got added to it - Big improvement. Installed the factory aux light package - Another big improvement. And now my Chuckster BAK is on order. I'd like to say I'm done after that, but I'm sure I won't be... I'd like the Corbin Young Guns seat for sure, at least to try out, need to get a back rest for the rear in case I take a long trip so I can attache a duffle to it and then well, I'd like to change out all the turn indicators but I can't find any I like that won't degrade visibility so throw me some suggestions!

I was gonna post up my detailed audio upgrade how-to on this forum, would it be in bad taste if I already did that on the Vulcan Bagger forum or is there enough people that don't use both forums to make okay?

Here's a pic of my wife rolling her new Triumph that I was riding before...

FullSizeRender by https://www.flickr.com/photos/friedchickenblowout/, on Flickr

Here's a pic of my new ride, without the aux lights of course, haven't had a chance to get new photos. But for those that have the chrome headlight bezel and don't like the looks, which I didn't, it looks much better with shiny chrome aux lights in the fairing.

IMG_2139 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/friedchickenblowout/, on Flickr

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
welcome, and pic's to.. awesome Congrats.
You have me beat, I just got the 2011 vaquero last month, it had 4083 miles on it when I picked it up.. Fortunately for me, I am in FL, and now, 5987,and almost to hott to ride.. was 96 last 2 days...

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
I may invest in the windvest.. I got the klockwerks, and it almost needs anbother couple inches

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
ohhhhh and give us any help with audio, do tell!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I was gonna ask what you thought of the speakers on your rear crash bars. Went looking at your profile and saw them. I would love them in the top of the bags but I'm no fiberglass artist and I sure don't know how to paint. Did they make any difference and what enclosure did you use? If you already posted about this just point me to the post please.

The 8" Windvest is virtually identical to the 8" - 12.5" BaggerShield, in the full 12.5" height, that came on the bike. If you're not familiar with the BaggerShield, it's a two piece unit that is either 8" tall without the extension or 12.5" tall WITH the extension. I always used it WITH the extension because the stereo was too hard to hear with the 8" standalone unit on the highway. Well the 8" Windvest is identical to the BaggerShield in it's full 12.5" height in my opinion. Maybe a tad louder wind noise with the 8" Windvest. But I'm very happy with it. The stereo is easy to hear and no head bobble. I'm 5'11" tall and I'm all torso with short legs, that height is fine. BUT if I had to do it all over again I would get the opaque black version. I've happened to glance through the windshield a few times looking at something on the ground and with a quick glance the "recurve" at the top is a little disorienting at slow speeds because it distorts your vision. I think I'd rather just have it blocked. But the "recurve" works great, you can watch the bugs surf right off the top and go over your head. Just the front of my helmets gets hit, I'm no longer taking bugs in the glasses all the time like I was before.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
these are the speakers https://www.denniskirk.com/406923.s...m_medium=cse&gclid=CJizgomYuMUCFVEYHwodpncA5Q
They work great, I did install a amp as well. so I could hear it over 70 mph. I have looked into some 3" small bass set up, and purchased yet, and see if they would fit in the place of the back speaker housing.. The set up works pretty good.. just not enough bass, Racnray, did several things with different windshields, and I may try them both. 1) he took the klockwerks and fastened it to the stock 4" shield.. looks good 2) he took the 12" and used his stock 4" as template and blackened/ paint the 4" to emulate the stock screen but have the protection.
Everything on the bike came with it, except the amp and PCV. ohh and the klockwerks

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'll post the writeup I did on the stereo upgrade, it's already been done on your bike but others may find it useful.

As far as bass goes on a bike it's a problem. I'm speaking from the standpoint of doing car audio 20 years ago. I stated working at a shop in high school and continued through college to pay my way. I mostly did the alarms and automation type stuff for the audio guys but I had a hand in enough of the high end stereos to pick up a few things.

Cars are a great platform for audio because they are enclosed, you can trap the pressure created by the speakers and direct it to the passengers with proper setup to include a center channel. Bass is pretty much non directional so sticking woofers in the back is not an issue as they basically pressurize the entire passenger compartment. Whereas tweeters and midrange speakers are directional and need to be in the proper place for the ear to pick them up.

That said if you've go a wonderful stereo in your car, something that's hitting hard and rattling the whole thing and making it so you can't see out your mirrors and you roll the windows down, the sound quality till completely change. That trapped pressure is lost out the windows. You still have the majority of the sound and all the volume so it's still good because its not totally open. Now do the same think on a bike and you're totally loosing any ability to trap any sound pressure at all. Sure it can be crazy loud like an outdoor concert, but an outdoor concert will never compare to an indoor concert at an acoustically correct venue such as a hall in audio quality and overall sound pressure at the listeners location.

It's always been kinda my standard that a 6.5" speaker is great for hard hitting mids and some higher bass tones and I would use them in the doors. You could setup a 6.5" woofer in a proper enclosure in a car and get good bass out of it but it's a tuned and ported enclosure like you can't really do on a bike. So this leaves us with 8" and 10" woofers for use on a bike to get good bass. There are woofers that size that can be used as "free air" mounted speakers that don't require a tuned enclosure that would work in the bags but you're talking about loosing the vast majority of storage, but that's what it's gonna take to get base from a bike and at that it won't even amount to the bass you get in a car from a good single 6.5" woofer in a tuned enclosure running half the power.

My old ass F150 has 4x 6.5" coaxial Infinity speakers and a 6.5" woofer in an enclosure under the back seat and it hits crazy hard, very clean, was super easy to do and will beat the over all quality of almost any bike stereo because the vehicle becomes part of the solution not the problem such as a bike does. So unless you're willing to cut apart your bags and install a woofer and a dedicated amp for that woofer or can bridge the rear channel in your current amp to run it, you won't get the bass you're looking for.

Harley has a new stereo system that I'm sure they paid a sound engineer. They call it "Boom!" and I think it's only available on the CVO bikes. If you can find an article about that setup or see one in person you'll have an idea of what it takes to make a good hard hitting bike stereo. When companies install stereos like that, weather it's in cars or whatever, they will over engineer their enclosures to make the most out of pretty cheap speakers. This increasing the engineering cost but that's a one time deal, then the per item cost drops because they can get away with cheaper speakers. This is exactly what Kawasaki did with the Vaquero. Those little speaker boxes that the factory speakers sit in are tuned a ported for those cheap ass factory speakers. They actually sound pretty good considering those speakers are likely about $4 each. Those enclosures should be retained for any additional speakers but you'll need to mess with this some. I explain this in the article that I wrote.

Hopefully this is somewhat helpful and I'm not just stating everything you already knew. And I'm also running the risk that my 20 year old knowledge has been surpassed by some new technology that I'm not aware of.

I'll put a link here when I post the stereo install thread.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts