Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys and gals I have just aquired this 09 Vulcan 900 classic, and am looking for my next few rounds of mods. I have had the bike for 2 months now and have currently replaced the rear tire with a Michelin pilot 170. I have also installed the v&h exhaust, cobra autotuner, and made my own BAK. I also installed a set of kuryacan ISO grips with throttle boss. Along with the mods I have completely changed the oil and coolant. I also had to deal with the broken off grease zerks! Wasn't happy!!!The bike currently has a bit over 11k on her now. I would mainly like to get some pointers on aesthetics. Here are a couple pics:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Congrats on the new acquisition. It looks like you are off to a great start. I've got most of my mods in my signature line, if that helps to inspire.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you fine sir! Also are there any tips that one should know about these 900s? Things to watch out for?

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Search the threads for the stator and find out which model years tend to be more problematic. Since you have already changed the oil and coolant you have the basics covered. I assume you changed the filter when you changed the oil. You may also want to lube the clutch and throttle cables. Check her for leaks, but above all, just ride her and enjoy. The only other advice I can offer is to check in on the forum to see what others have going on that may be of interest to you. I've learned a ton in the short time I've been a member.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Suggest you replace some of the brake fluid. Since brake fluid does not circulate and all the heat is in the caliper, the fluid can start to Break down, without any indication by looking at the master cylinder site glass also DOT absorbs water which also reduces braking effectiveness. I have a thread on here looking for suggestions on fluid, lines and pads. Lots of folks have found big improvements in braking by just changing brake fluid.

When it comes to add ins I always consider form (the look of the bike) vs function how well the add on works adds to ride comfort etc.. Tell us a little about your riding style, how often you ride, type of road, hiway, country city, how far etc. this will help direct input.

Welcome to the 900 group. This is a great place for input, but we all have our own opinions when it comes to style.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Excellent pointers guys! Changing brake fluid is on the "to do list". Currently the type of riding that I have been doing is a mixture between city and country highways. I ride the bike to work every day unless bad storms are forcasted. Once I get off work I find myself jumping on a not so busy hwy and just cruising to neighboring small towns. I have found that with the windshield on in town I get thrown around driving through the gusty streets. So I take it off when I'm in town because it makes it a lot more enjoyable to ride. However, on the highway I like not catching rocks and bugs with my face lol! Riding on the hwy w/o the windshield i don't get pulled around like I do with the windshield installed and find it easier to ride at higher speeds without getting pulled around every which way. Is this the nature of having a windshield and something I just need to get use to? Is there a certain way a windshield needs to be set up?
I have also noticed that the windshield is extremely tall, so tall that I can't see over it. Also what could I benefit from having a set of lowers?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
+1 to replacing the brake fluid. It's often neglected and that's probably the original fluid. Often people think the sight glass tells you when to change it but that's not true; the sight glasses purpose is to tell you if the fluid is LOW. Even if it's clear up top, it might be jet black at the bottom. If it's not clear at the top, it is long, long gone.

So what kind of riding do you do? If you do a lot of long distance riding a painted Batwing fairing and an aftermarket seat is a good place to start to make the bike more comfortable. Personally, I think a set of the Kawasaki OEM light bars and a set of highway bars really completes the 'look'.

Stator was an issue primarily on '06/'07 models.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for reiterating that the fluid needs replaced and the importance of it being flushed out. I am the guy that figured it was good by just looking in the glass lol!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Aesthetics are important for me, but so is comfort

Best thing I've done so far for me comfort wise aws putting on a mustang seat and adding a MS batwing. Those 2 addons alone have made a world of difference!

Oh and a nice set of ISO grips, I got a set from ebay sent from china, very nice on the hands, look great and came with stiletto caps and a throttle boss and all for about 40 shipped, they installed in about 15 minutes.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What exactly does a batwing do for ones riding experience? Sorry for the ignorance but I have only mainly riden crotch rockets and dirt bikes in my younger years.

·
Registered
154 Posts
A lot of nice aerodynamics that you are used to with crotch rockets (former crotch rocketeer myself)

The classic (not LT) has no fairing or windscreen, you are actually not very aerodynamic, granted you look cool as hell ;) but you get everything literally in the face and chest. you get a lot of riding fatigue getting buffeted by winds on a long ride. especially on the hiways.

an hour ride in mid winds on the hiway would leave you tired, sore, and well you get the idea.

An example. I bought my classic because it was a very nice retro "classic" (pardon the pun) look. I don't like full windscreens, reminds me of a CHiPs bike.. however. a few hiway rides (winds, trucks, etc) and I decided I needed to try something. I looked up a few other classics owners bikes on google (all hail google) and liked the look of the batwing.

now I've only owned a cruiser since march, I had a triumph Sprint ST 955 before this for 12 years, used to full fairing, windscreens etc), so here are some points

1: helmets... ok so this one might be weird. I bought a half helmet wanting to go the bad ass visuals look for riding in town, I have a simple commute to work 5 minutes, with 2 of that on a 4 lane. so without batwing I would ride with the half helmet, OMG.. watering eyes, squinting, wind blasted ears (and this is all around 60km/h ), lowered the eye shield (gmax65 half helmet) this was a little better but not much.

With the batwing I can ride without glasses or eye shields (yes I know not recommended, but to each their own, I know the risks, and have even suffered a sharp rock to the eyelid (and with a full face mask but shield open in the summer) ) no eye watering at all, no uncomfortable wind noise in my ears.

I took the batwing off on a hot day a month later and when I cam home I wondered why my ears were ringing and eyes watering so much, I had gotten used to it that fast....

2: on the hiway, I can cruise at 160km/h and its still comfortable (full helmet there) even with a full helmet your head isnt buffeted near as much).

3: style and expression, ya, so I like looks too, lots of windscreens to put on this thing, I have added chrome trim to the nose, and extra wind deflectors to the lower edge, pinstriped it and will be getting it air brushed next season, a simple change in height on the windshield gives you a very different look.

4: more comfort, a long ride say 2 hours, would leave my body very sore from all the full on buffeting to the chest, that's gone. passengers are much more comfortable.

it just keeps the wind off you and allows you to enjoy the ride, tons of addons for the batwing, stereos, instrument clusters, you name it you can do lots with it.

fully kitted out it was about 700 bucks after all taxes. well worth it. and...

I can remove it in 30 seconds to completely change the look at any time. (I like a bike I can reconfigure. )

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bike definetly looks killer with the bat wing, but currently I can't dump 700 bones into the bike right now as I have already put a ton in extras on it in such a small amount of time. I have been messing around with the windshield height and have noticed that the further down I go the more enjoyable it is to ride.

How big of an impact will adding a set of lowers to the bike? Would it be of any benefit for me?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Bike definetly looks killer with the bat wing, but currently I can't dump 700 bones into the bike right now as I have already put a ton in extras on it in such a small amount of time. I have been messing around with the windshield height and have noticed that the further down I go the more enjoyable it is to ride.

How big of an impact will adding a set of lowers to the bike? Would it be of any benefit for me?
A set of lowers will have an impact, it will keep the wind off your lower torso/legs, and it will also lower the wind buffeting around your head. When you're riding at a decent clip put your hand out around you, behind the windshield, and down by your legs and feel where the air is coming in. this will give you a good indicator of whether you could use lowers.

A lot of people have said that the wind buffeting they felt at helmet level was greatly diminished by adding lowers, as it changes the air flow around you and the bike.

of course every person and every bike is different, your height, windshield level, and even the different addons you put on the front change create interesting air flow that affects other areas.

keeping the air off your legs def helps remove riding fatigue (every little bit helps let you ride longer and longer :) ).

I feel your pain price wise, I just got my classic in march, and I've already put in 3g in addons, all completely worth it of course :p I want to put on the big 3 (air/fuel pcm/open exhaust, but thats 1700... so I know your pain...

but then, sometimes you just gotta saw screw it :p

Happy riding :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've added the lowers to my Classic Lt. and the buffeting is completely gone but......the heat from the engine is now trapped and it gets pretty warm around the family jewels. At least it caused me to change my riding style and I won't be rubbing the paint off the sides of my gas tank with my jeans :D

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ya lowers will be on my next parts order, what lowers are you using?

the kawi ones or something else?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I installed the Kawi OEM lowers that cleared the OEM light bar I also installed. They sell both, one for use without the light bar and one for use with the light bar. The ones for use with the OEM light bar simply have rounded cutouts on the top outside corners because the turn signals hang down instead of sticking straight out.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ya I like the looks of the Kawi lowers, but not the price, (almost 200 up in canada after tax :( ).

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you search the forum you'll find examples of where others have made their own and some don't look bad at all ;)

·
Registered
154 Posts
If you search the forum you'll find examples of where others have made their own and some don't look bad at all ;)
Ya I just put in another thousand dollar order online for parts and odered a set of Memphis shades, I am not real set on the design of their plastics for them, but I wanted the mounting kit anyhow, and the plastics were only 20 bucks. if I don't like them I will look at cutting my own and painting them to match the bike :) so win win ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts