Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if anyone else is a little cramped by the heel/toe shifter but I have been on the road now for 5 days and I am thinking I might cut the heel off when I finally get back home. It prevents me from moving my left foot back on the floor board. It is nice to move my legs around and I don't have a crash bar with foot rests.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I don't know if anyone else is a little cramped by the heel/toe shifter but I have been on the road now for 5 days and I am thinking I might cut the heel off when I finally get back home. It prevents me from moving my left foot back on the floor board. It is nice to move my legs around and I don't have a crash bar with foot rests.
Yes that's what I would do instead of cutting my toes off... but that's just me.:D

Sorry I couldn't help it ;)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Wear an average size 12. Every time I bring my feet onto the boards I slide my left foot back against the heel shifter, and my right foot forward until the toe of my boot hits the bottom of the brake pedal.

This is of absolutely no help to you I am sure :)

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
I have seen a lot of people cut the heel bar off and just go toe shift. Also some people (like my wife) never uses the heel shift bar on her scoot. But I wont cut it off as I ride it every now and then, and I hate all toe shift. Plus it is adjusted to low for my big toes to get under it.

I have seen the heel bar adjusted down so low it is even with the board and it literally takes your shoe heel to hit it. But the toe bar is so high that it is more like a top of foot shift.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I'm currently looking to buy a new Nomad, I've never used a heel shifter but looking forward to trying it. Had toe shifters on my 4 previous bikes (non-touring bikes). I sat on on a Nomad yesterday and did not notice any room issue for my size 13 boot, but then I have not ridden it either.

Is the height of the toe shifter adjustable also ?

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Is the height of the toe shifter adjustable also ?
Yes,
and it also effects the heel shifter. As you bring it up for big feet like mine, the heel pad goes down. and vise versa. For me... I don't even consider a bike that does not have heel toe shift. I like not EVER having to put my foot under the shift peg.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would get the crash bars and touring pegs! I love the heel-toe shifter!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I didn't know how I'd adjust to a heel shifter but it took no time at all to :love: not ever having to toe up. No issues for me.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I've tried adjusting both the linkage ends and rotating the end fittings on the splines.
After an hour of experimentation I found that there is no "fine" adjustment capability and that I cannot get the heel or toe heights any better than they came from the factory. If I try to get the heel pad lower, it ends up too low!

My old Roadstar had a much better shift linkage system that you could adjust in finer increments.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, don't know how many miles everyone has put on with the heel shifter but I am at about 4k miles now and I can tell you it cramps you from moving your foot around. My foot is only 9.5 and after a 400 mile day, your have to move your foot a little. I may just get the crash bar and foot pegs to solve the problem because I agree, it is nice to use the heel shifter, but there is a problem for me with long days.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
I am 6-3 so me putting my foot back on the boards aint gonna happen. I have to put my feet way forward and low. That's where engine guard (they aren't crash bars) pegs will save your life. Most people like the pegs high but I cant handle them high. They are just slightly higher than the foot board but about 5 inches farther forward.

Actually they should be called "fall over" bars... or better "laugh in" bars. Anyone know why? (Artie Johnson?) Even though they did not work when mine fell over. It went ALL the way over.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Never use the heel shifter to shift on my bikes, always cut it off to give me plenty of room to move my left foot around on the board

·
Registered
574 Posts
I am 6-3 so me putting my foot back on the boards aint gonna happen. I have to put my feet way forward and low. That's where engine guard (they aren't crash bars) pegs will save your life. Most people like the pegs high but I cant handle them high. They are just slightly higher than the foot board but about 5 inches farther forward.
. . . .
Bubba I'm 6'-2" with a size 12 boot (American) or size 13 (Chinese made), so I'm about in the same situation as you. Did you mount your highway pegs on the inside of the crash bars (if that's possible) or on the outside (like I've seen)?

Also I have not picked up my new Nomad yet (hopefully this Saturday), but I'm assuming the shield will adjust up high enough so folks our height can just barely see over the top ?

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Did you mount your highway pegs on the inside of the crash bars
Us Voyager owners can't put them inside the engine guards. The lowers are there.

Besides for me they would be too narrow in there. I have been riding 50 years and I am more bow legged than a cowpoke.

I cut off half of my brake pedal to give me more room. Actually more like 65 percent of it. It is WAY WAY too big. There is no reason for it to be that big. It does not need to be any larger than the pad on the heel shift.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm in the same boat with a size 14 boot, and was looking at buying a toe shifter only. That was an accessory on the Yamahawg, but I don't see one offered for the Kaw. This one is much to short between heal and toe. I'm thinking Roadie has the right idea and I should cut off the heal shifter. That just seems like the wrong thing to do with a new bike.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I too have size 13 boots and don't like my toe being jammed under the toe shifter so it's usally hanging out to the side. I use the heel shifter to shift up (except for first of course) and the toe to down shift. My last bike also my first bike also had a heel/toe shifter and thats just what I learned and got used to. If I could weld I wouldn't mind adding another inch or so to it. I noticed after my last long trip my heel rubbed off the paint on the cover where I rest my foot when it is back up against the heel shifter.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
That just seems like the wrong thing to do with a new bike.

Nothing sacred about a new motorcycle. We chop off/change things all the time on a new scoot.

Do it..............

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey Big Thump,
I had the same problem, I like to slide my feet back and hang my heels off the boards on long trips. I didn't want to cut the heel shifter off, I use it to hit neutral when I'm stopped. I bent it straight back, now I have plenty of room to move around and can still use it to find neutral.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
I bent it straight back,
Really? I have thought about that but thought it would break.... Got a pic?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts