Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any luck finding a replacement heel/toe shifter for a Vulcan 900?

The stock shifter on my 2017 Vulcan 900 classic is a single piece unit that offers no adjustment at all. It is a bit of a tight squeeze to fit a boot under the toe section of the shifter, but if I adjust it upward, the heel section will actually be below the floor board.

Most heel/toe shifters that I see online are in two pieces. Has anybody had any luck finding a direct replacement, or found a way to modify the bike to accept a two piece heel/toe shifter?

I like the idea of the floor boards and heel/toe shifter, but after having ridden nothing but sport bikes for almost 20 years, I'm having a tough time getting used to the floor boards. But if I can't find some way to make the factory heel/toe shifter work better, or find a suitable replacement, I might just swap them out for the pegs and foot controls from the Vulcan 900 Custom.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Has anyone had any luck finding a replacement heel/toe shifter for a Vulcan 900?

The stock shifter on my 2017 Vulcan 900 classic is a single piece unit that offers no adjustment at all. It is a bit of a tight squeeze to fit a boot under the toe section of the shifter, but if I adjust it upward, the heel section will actually be below the floor board.

Most heel/toe shifters that I see online are in two pieces. Has anybody had any luck finding a direct replacement, or found a way to modify the bike to accept a two piece heel/toe shifter?

I like the idea of the floor boards and heel/toe shifter, but after having ridden nothing but sport bikes for almost 20 years, I'm having a tough time getting used to the floor boards. But if I can't find some way to make the factory heel/toe shifter work better, or find a suitable replacement, I might just swap them out for the pegs and foot controls from the Vulcan 900 Custom.
I've had my 900 LT for about a month now, and I'm finally getting used to that shifter -- never rode with one before, either, just regular shifters. Criminy, every time I'd put my jumbo (size 13) boot on the board I'd stomp the (*&[email protected] thing into a higher gear or, even jollier, bump it into neutral when I needed first. Dang near laid it down a couple of times. Much grampa'ish grumbling about "infernal newfangled contraptions" followed.

My solution was to do something I never do, which was to ride in sneakers. I went to the school parking lot nearby and just did go, stop, go, upshift, downshift, stop, go, etc. for a couple of hours. By the end, my foot was finding the right spot naturally, and I haven't had much problem since. Saturday I was out on a group ride and was even using the heel shifter pretty regularly. That was when the clouds parted and I had the brilliant mechanical epiphany --- "Oh! If I use the heel shifter, I never NEED to get my toe under the toe shifter!" (I know, right? Mind like a steel trap.)

I realize my solution is a bit of a pain in the neck, but it is a lot cheaper than a new shifter.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
After nearly 40 years of riding sport bikes I also had lots of problems with the 900 LT heel/toe shifter. I got fed up and simply remounted the OEM shifter on the spline shaft so that the heel part is below the footboard level. That also makes it much easier to get my size 13 boot under the front shifter peg for upshifts - problem solved, no relearning necessary.

I had investigated swapping the LT shifter and boards for pegs and a Custom shifter, but if I recall it wasn't a straight swap and would have involved more work than I wanted to do.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The swap is actually not too bad. You can mount the pegs that come on the Custom onto the Classic or Classic-LT. The frames are the same part number for all three models.
You just have to buy a load of small parts to do the complete conversion.

I really want to give the heel/toe setup a chance, so that's why I'm considering modifying it. There is a simple round cylinder that the shaft runs through to mount the shifter and the shift rod connection.
It seams I would have to machine a custom replacement shaft in order to mount a two piece heel/toe shifter.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
My recollection may be wrong since I considered changing my 900LT to pegs and a Custom shifter when I got the bike some years ago in '07, but I seem to recall that the shifter spline shafts between the LT and Custom were different lengths and one would need to do some disassembly to change the shafts. Also Kawi OEM parts generally are very pricey. I quickly got used to the footboards and decided that I like them, and also find that my OEM LT shifter relocation on the spline shaft has worked quite well - the best of both worlds. Of course other owners may have different ideas and solutions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am about to cut the heel part off altogether. I have almost 10,000 on mine since I purchased it a year and half ago and I still accidentally bump it into neutral with my size 13 boots. Limping today from a pulled something in my foot yesterday while catching a bike that was falling over when I kicked it into neutral while pulling out. I know some who like it but I don't at all. I wish they sold a simple toe shifter replacement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts