Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really thinking about removing the heel shifter portion of the shifter. I like to hang my heels off the rear portion of the floorboards and the back part of the shifter is in the way in on that side. I'm used to shifting with just the toe part of the shifter mechanism anyway. Anyone made this mod? Where/how we you make the cut?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I want to do the exact same thing . I have big feet and I have to lift my heel or will hit that rear pedal. I can get my. I am thinking that just sawing might put stress on the pivot. but then again I do want it gone

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sorry for not finishing my sentence . I meant to say I get my boot under the front shifter no problem so I don't need a heel. Just been riding with a toe my whole life

·
Registered
64 Posts
I did this on my 2007 Vulcan 900, I was tired of hitting it with my foot and putting it in neutral after take off. I used a 4" grinder
to cut it off. I have a can of Plasti dip for tool handles and thought about dipping the cut end in it. Here's a few pic's to give you and ideal what it looks like. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks Mr. Right Here!
If you could reply as far as how long have you run this modification and did you leave the front lever on the same splines o the shift shaft or did you raise it?
Thanks again

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks Mr. Right Here!
If you could reply as far as how long have you run this modification and did you leave the front lever on the same splines o the shift shaft or did you raise it?
Thanks again
I did this a year ago, I'm not sure if I moved it or not. I didn't mark it be for I removed/cut it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Why not get an eBay toe only and maintain the OEM part? I bet they're not more than a few bucks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Really thinking about removing the heel shifter portion of the shifter. I like to hang my heels off the rear portion of the floorboards and the back part of the shifter is in the way in on that side. I'm used to shifting with just the toe part of the shifter mechanism anyway. Anyone made this mod? Where/how we you make the cut?
I did it on my 2011 Vulcan 900 for the same reason. I believe the adjustment is the same for the front part.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I cut my shift arm right where it goes lowest but kicked the lever up higher so now it just lift my foot for every shift just like it used to be. Awesome. I swing my feet up and its clear sailing. they touchdown on nothing but foot board

·
Registered
71 Posts
I bought my bike new in 2016 and after hitting the heel part and knocking it into neutral several times I got the hack saw and cut as close to the splines as I could,then wire wheeled the edges ,heated up with small propane torch and used chrome paint applied while still hot to the touch so it dried quick,re installed,adjusted it up to get my boots under the shifter and never looked back. Best thing I ever did. The chrome paint helps to deter rust from forming.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts