Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who uses, the heel shifter?? I don't tried it, just doesn't feel natural!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I do. I started on my first test ride of my Vulcan Nomad. Traded in my Vulcan 900 C. Bought the Nomad and never stopped using the heel / toe shifter. I adjusted to it rather quickly and now I really prefer it! It is very natural to me.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
I use it every once in a while to find neutral from 1st. My heal can hit softer than my toe and when the engine is cool it sometimes helps.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
I don't but a buddy of mine uses it all the time. I've never even tried it.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm Kap, may have to try that for neutral.. Yes, sometimes I can flip right past neutral sometimes..

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The way I see it, there is no wasted movement using the toe, vs picking leg up sliding it back to down shift.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I use the heel for up shifts, and the toe for down. And I've done it since the first ride on the VV, 28K miles ago. Using the toe for up shifts would require a big change for me now.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I can't get my toe under the front of the shifter on my bike so I always used the heel to shift it up into the next gear and the toe to downshift it back down. It is very natural and I always used my toe on my other bikes. I love the heel and toe combination. I do not get a sore toe anymore. I used to get the toe hurting on the other bikes once in awhile. Try it you might like it after you get used to it. I did and love it.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ahhhhhh.. ok makes sense Thanks powerstroker

·
Registered
243 Posts
I didn't think I'd like it on my vaquero at all as I never had one before. I absolutely love it, I find using only my toe shifter foreign now.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Interestingly I never used it on the 900. The 900 had a 'clicky' transmission with short throws and it was just as easy to blip into the next gear.

The 1700 has a much stiffer transmission with longer throws so even with thick leather motorcycle boots (which barely fit under there) it's pretty harsh on my toes. So I've gone back to using the heel shifter. Once you get used to it, it becomes as easy and intuitive as using the toe shifter. You're right, it's MORE movement to use the heel shifter; but it can be comfortable.

Using the heel shifter also protects boots/shoes from getting worn and scuffed. My office is two miles away so I don't bother changing shoes for my "Commute" (Unless I take my bicycle; then I use clipless cycling shoes!). So the heel shifter is really nice (and the only time I used it on my 900) for not scuffing up my Ecco's!

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
I use the heel shifter for every up shift. Toe is for down shifting only. Just feels right to me.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I love the heel-toe shifter, road a buddies bike without one and felt all out of whack to me. I think I would have a hard time going back to a regular toe shifter now.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
I wont ride a scoot that does not have heel toe shift.....

The heel / toe shift bar is adjustable in case you did not know. Changing the height on one end lowers the other end. Not like two piece heel/toe shift bars...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Well I didn't know that was a heel shifter I thought it was a neutral finder! Now I'm going to have to try that heel shifting technique. I won't have to polish my boots after every ride.

·
BOTM Winner, August 2015
283 Posts
I agree with Bubba. I wouldn't ride a motorcycle without one. Very nice to have. Once you get used to it you will feel the same.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hmmm Kap, may have to try that for neutral.. Yes, sometimes I can flip right past neutral sometimes..
The 1700 doesn't have the 'positive neutral finder'? On the 2000, Kawi designed it so that from 1st gear at a stop, you can only shift up into neutral. It won't go into second unless you are moving. So there's no hunting for it.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
same with the 900, I have found myself searching, I found myself wanting!!! lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts