Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May be a stupid question but I have to ask.
Can I simply loosen the bolt that holds it on the shaft and remove it
and thats it :confused:

The toe shifter won't be effected ?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I don't know what model bike you have, but on my VN900 the heel and toe shifter are one casting. To get rid of the heel shifter I just repositioned the casting on the spline shaft so that the heel shifter is at the same level as the foot board. Some other riders have had the heel shifter removed from the casting, but since the entire casting is plated the cut would need to be painted/coated, etc. to prevent rust.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you want to run the bike without the heel shifter, you will need something to replace the shifter on the shifter axel. I bought a used shifter from my local dealer and cut off the needed part for the axel. (Old Dunstall magnesium race part). And it cured my problem with gear not returning for shifting. (Had to press down the toe shifter to prepare for the next gear. It was not ok, that the shifters were in "balance").

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
An even more stupid question

Paul I've had my beast for four years and just found this forum. My beast has trained me to hit the shifter down with my toe to downshift and with my heel to upshift. I find this method of shifting very well suited to my riding. Ok so now for my stupid question, why would anyone want to remove the heel shifter?

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
paul i've had my beast for four years and just found this forum. My beast has trained me to hit the shifter down with my toe to downshift and with my heel to upshift. I find this method of shifting very well suited to my riding. Ok so now for my stupid question, why would anyone want to remove the heel shifter?
**exactly!**

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I got used to it is all

Got it. I too have been riding for a while (36 yrs) but I found it easier to use the heel shifter with this bike than with all my other bikes. I think that this is so because non of my other bikes came with a heel shifter. Thx

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I come from many years of foot pegs and I have no need for the heel shifter at all.
Just not my thing . Thats all.
It's the same for me - I tried using the heel/toe bit and found it inconvenient, plus with my fairly large foot I got lots of unwanted upshifts. That could be dangerous. Of course in the end it's a matter of personal preference. Repositioning the shifter on the spline shaft got the heel part out of the way and raised the toe part so that I could more easily get my boot's toe under it.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's the same for me - I tried using the heel/toe bit and found it inconvenient, plus with my fairly large foot I got lots of unwanted upshifts. That could be dangerous. Of course in the end it's a matter of personal preference. Repositioning the shifter on the spline shaft got the heel part out of the way and raised the toe part so that I could more easily get my boot's toe under it.
Thats exactly the route I ended up going with because of the same reason.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
imp'y, heal shifters are old man, lazy man shifters. they be just one more thing to clean and pose a possible gouge on the primary cover if ever you drop yor skoot thataway. 'sides if you ride lots of bikes w/toe shifters is better not to have diff'ren methods to mess with, hafta 'rember which way to work the gizmos.

ok, so unbolt the dang rear armature and toss it in the scrap parts bin. put ya a rubber nippley thing on the exposed spline and then secure it with a small worm gear clamp. the whole fix might cost ya a buck. it cleans up the floor board nice. pix are not far off. out, ponch

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I've been called both before

Thanks for the (age and lazy) reminder Poncho. Ha

Your solution is very elegant to say the least though.

gus

·
Registered
419 Posts
All I need is some room

Ok so now for my stupid question, why would anyone want to remove the heel shifter?
Back in 2006 I took off mine to give me some room to move my left foot around on trips. It's not good to press down on the shifter when not shifting as it is connected to the shift fork in the tranny. A buddy of mine gave me a chrome Harley cap made to cover the bare shifter rod end. For the life of me I can't remember the model Harley that it came from but I do remember him telling me that it is widely available at the Harley dealerships.:eek:

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
shift this

shifty, here are some pix of my rev fix. I went searchin the hd catalog for that chrome cappy part #. never did find it, but on page 430 part# 33876-07 theys got a folding rear heal shifter for a measley 70bux. seems some hardley Ngneer thought to put a socket swivel on the rub'ry heely thingy. yor welcome. out, ponch

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
shifty, here are some pix of my rev fix. I went searchin the hd catalog for that chrome cappy part #. never did find it, but on page 430 part# 33876-07 theys got a folding rear heal shifter for a measley 70bux. seems some hardley Ngneer thought to put a socket swivel on the rub'ry heely thingy. yor welcome. out, ponch
Many thanks - looks great, but I can't see how it would work on my VN900 Classic LT since the shifting setup appears to be quite different from that in the pics. Of course that's to be expected since the pics are of a HD part.

I don't want to cut off the heel shifter from the stock casting because if I sell the bike the buyer may want it, and knowing how steep OEM prices can be and the fact that parts are discontinued rather soon after the bike model goes out of production . . I'll stick with my current setup.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
.. Of course that's to be expected since the pics are of a HD part.
hc, holy cow there batman...dood! this be a KOWabunga, not hardleyableson. hd are more a fright, my brand spankin new lectraglide, the heal shifter fell off on the way home... well it was maybe all of 1500 miles, chicago to santone. But this here lil bugger a mere v2k is 100% kawi..mostly.

yor 9'r has a one peice shiftomothingy. I just take my dremmel wheel and cut the xtry off.

do like that speedwagon of yours tho. here be a real tractor pull. out, ponch

·
Registered
864 Posts
Wow Ponch i was wondering about that, couldnt believe some one would accuse you of puttin a pic up of a HD , if you didnt have one i would say they was fightin words ! Seems you have one so you cant say nothin.... Just fyi there Mr. Hot Cruiser Ponchs floor board looks just like mine less the heal shifter, so i am vouging for him ok ! Ponch look where he lives , bet you my old lady he voted for O Bama and all them other left coast pinko liberal thieves ...... Bulldozer , just spoilin for a rumble...... Aint i cute, been sniffin to many fumes..

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
hc, holy cow there batman...dood! this be a KOWabunga, not hardleyableson. hd are more a fright, my brand spankin new lectraglide, the heal shifter fell off on the way home... well it was maybe all of 1500 miles, chicago to santone. But this here lil bugger a mere v2k is 100% kawi..mostly.

yor 9'r has a one peice shiftomothingy. I just take my dremmel wheel and cut the xtry off.

do like that speedwagon of yours tho. here be a real tractor pull. out, ponch
Thanks for the update. I assumed that since it appeared that you said that you were quoting from a HD catalog the part was HD. Still won't work on my VN900 Classic LT without a complete revamp of the VN shifting setup. My Dremel would scratch the stock shifter but that's about it - a hacksaw would be faster. But I don't see any compelling need for an amputation.

I liked the Deere 830 Diesel - enough torque and horsepower to pull 4, sometimes 5 bottoms through Minnesota clay, but nothing like today's supertractors. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts