Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone here recommend some grip heaters? The weather's still too warm to winterize but my fingers are feeling the chill. I'll wear the long johns but refuse to plug in with heated clothing.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I am interested in this as well. I purchased some liners to go inside my gloves, but my fingertips are still frozen when I commute in the mornings (35-40 degrees).

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
What I've read about the Semtec's in the past has been good. However, I've done a lot of reading about both heated grips and heated gloves. Generally, the consensus seems to be that grips do a good job of keeping your palms warm but tend to fall short on the fingertips themselves. For that, you're better off either blocking the wind (NC wind deflectors, hippo hands, etc) or biting the bullet and going to a good pair of heated gloves.

·
Registered
108 Posts
+1 on the heated gloves, i use them too and though you have to plug and unplug vs just getting off the bike with heated grips, if the bottom line is warm fingers then heated gloves wins. i have ridden with folks using heated grips and their fingers still felt cold to the touch.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am pretty sure I saw some that had a rechargeable battery pack in the wrist area...they were for snowboarders/skiers. It would eliminate the need to "plug in"
I like the idea of not having to plug in do you remember where you saw them. BTW how is the weather in Barrie, we had a fairly decent weekend here. I am told its about to get really cold in the next week.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
mmmm well, I bought a pair of Activheat glove liners... with a battery pack...and a plug in adapter. The battery pack lasted about 30-40 minutes before draining about $10 worth of super alkaline batteries. I did not have the rechargeable pack but I doubt it lasts much longer.

www.activheat.com

Plugged into the bike now the liners are amazingly wonderful and keep my fingers nice and warm down to at least 38....the lowest I have tried them.

I like liners because I have nice tourmaster gauntlets that work great other than the cold.

·
Registered
108 Posts
i think there are gloves made specifically for heated grips, they are only insulated on the outside half of the gloves (the part hitting the wind) making it easier for the heat to get to your hands.
these aren't a bad idea to compliment the whole warm hands situation.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have these (http://www.symtec-inc.com/Complete-Universal-Motorcycle-Heat-Demon-Hand-Warmer-Kit-w-Chrome-Controller_p_92.html) and I'm not impressed at all. I found out after talking with Symtec that the Kawi bars are too thick (1/8 Wall Thickness) and the heater elements were designed for harley bars that are 1/16 wall thickness. So I bored out my bars where the grips are and I cannot seem to get enough heat to come through. I have the ISO grips which Symtec says are excellent for the heaters but they just do not work for me. I have not yet given up on them byt next spring i'll be playing with it again since the bike is now in storage.

I must says though that Symtec's customer servce is second to none. They have bent over backwards for me with technical help and sending parts to me no charge and no questions asked. THis is the only reason that I have not yet given up.

·
Registered
156 Posts
A friend of mine uses these. I almost got a pair a few weeks ago, but they were just too pricey, i think about $250 with the required rechargables. he says he gets at least 6-7 hours out of a charge. and he's never needed to use the high setting, even in the 20's. granted, he does get a little help from the batwing, but he swears by them.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/mcm_product.jsp?WebLogicSession=LR1Ac42xqnPiN5vaJNF1yotY2EYs6opzLOXmNfE9stK09LgxlwSH!-2046277622!hiwpbmsp04.ihd.hd!7005!8005&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448772418&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302285435&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302285435&bmUID=1259468236860&bmLocale=en_US

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the feedback! I just ordered the Show Chrome heated grips from Cruiser Customizing. Thanks for the link Murphy. Leave it to someone from my favorite Canadian city to know how to battle the cold and extend the riding season.

Most of the grip heaters I had researched were designed to heat the grips from the inside out. Thanks to Crooksie, I now know that there's just too much metal to the stock handlebars to effectively heat the bars and grips. I'd have been disappointed if I bought one of those and the handlebar turned out to be warmer than my fingers.

Since I was eventually planning to replace the stock grips anyways the new grips with the convex profile and heating element fit the bill. This one has a rheostat control that can be adjusted to any weather condition.

As Flash suggests, my gauntlet gloves do have too much padding on the palm. That may be good for grabbing a frigid throttle but causes discomfort and loss of "feel". Any one have a suggestion for gloves designed for the heated grips?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Don't do anything rash yet.
I rode to work today in snow flurries with my new grips installed.
They look beautiful.
They feel nice....but not HOT...warmer
There may be hotter options.
My ride is only 20minutes, but I did wish for more heat still.
Perhaps that is the nature of heated grips??
Better than nothing though

1 - 14 of 14 Posts