Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to extend my riding into the winter. I can handle the cold except for my hands. Any thoughts on heated gloves? I am not real keen on plugging in my gloves, but I am concerned about the effectiveness of battery powered gloves. Any suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I do have electric gloves, however, due to the heating elements and padding, they tend to be too thick for effective control of the throttle and brake levers. The wires are also all over the place bec it's coming from the battery.

Heated grips and grip guards may be a better option. An extra silk liner also helps.

·
Registered
125 Posts
My girlfriend uses the Gerbing product line for her heated clothing and loves it. I installed a dual thermostat on her bike they sell so she can heat her gloves and socks at the same time at different temps. The gloves she just purchased are very soft leather and do not seem to cause any issue with handling the grips. She has a liner that the gloves plug directly into so she does not have to run the wire through her sleeves anymore.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Last winter I used the chemical heat pouches. I would slide one in my long winter gloves just up to my wrist. They didn't interfere with any handling at that location and provided the heat needed. You could somewhat control the amount of heat by flexing your wrist (pumping more oxygen in as needed or not). Anyway - it works for me and it's a cheap!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Before dropping $200 on battery heated gloves, I tried the chemical pouches. They worked pretty well. The ends of my fingers still got cold, but nothing like how it was without the pouches. I think I'll stick with them through the winter.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I ordered a pair of battery grabber gloves today hope they work said 8hrs of heat time 4 aa batterys each glove will try rechargeable one to see how long they will last.buying batterys would get pricey after awhile says to turn them off for alittle bit and back on will improve battery life. and dont store with batterys in them. Lower chaps next.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Has anyone installed handguards on a 900? That's an option I've wanted to go with since my ride to and from work is about 30mins each way and it seems like a waste to use chemical heaters.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Has anyone installed handguards on a 900? That's an option I've wanted to go with since my ride to and from work is about 30mins each way and it seems like a waste to use chemical heaters.
Just slide the chemical pouch into a zip lock bag. The chemical reaction stops due to lack of oxygen. Starts back as soon as you pull them out again - provided you haven't used them past their intended life.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Glove liners

I also tend to ride year-round, althought given where I live (NY) there are periods when this is kinda tricky (snow and ice on the road). Frost itself is typically not that hard to beat, if you prepare well for each ride and have the right gear.

I agree, fingers even in very thick gloves go first.

A few weeks back I got a pair of glove liners and the results are amazing. They help soooo much! I am still waiting for a really bad freezing weather to test them out, but I think it is a much simpler solution than messing with the wires - let alone the cost advantage. They were like $10 or so.

I will report back once I go for some longer rides in freezing weather, but so far, I am impressed -- really, beyond expectations. Try it out and see if it would work for you.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Hi everyone, been away for awhile but still read comments from time-to-time....I've ridden the past couple of years, all year long in Missouri, and tried a lot of combinations with gloves, liners, heated grips and the grip muffins, but this year, I upped to using Gerbing heated vest and gloves.... Wish I'd done it earlier.... by using the hook up directly to the battery, you don't have to worry about overloading the bike electrical system, and the heated gloves work especially good with keeping your fingers warm all the way around..... So, you can spend a lot of money playing around, or watch ebay for a used jacket or vest and then pick up a new pair of gloves to plug into and your gonna love winter riding....Especially when you pass everyone on the road when it's in the teens.... you get a lot of disbelief out there......:)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I ride year-round here in southwest Colorado thanks to my Gerbing jacket and gloves, as long as there is no snow on the road, obviously. The wire coming out of the bottom of the jacket to the left of the zipper has the little, match box-sized thermostat inline, and that wire plugs into the wire coming off the battery. Like an electric blanket, you can dial it up as warm as you want. Instructions say not to wear anything more than a T-shirt or turtle neck under the Gerbing jacket so the warming elements will be close to your body. I wear my leather jacket over the Gerbing. I have actually had to stop alongside the road now and then to turn down the thermostat because I had dialed it up too warm. As the old advertising slogan goes, "Try it, you'll like it!"

·
Registered
941 Posts
I got the Gerbings gloves this October. Used them on a ride on the first weekend in November. I didn't feel like I didn't have control. Plus once my fingers get cold I don't have much for control then either. I wanted to get the jacket, but it was spendy enough getting the gloves. I had found on Craigslist but it was too small. Nice thing about the jacket is it has wire plugs directly at the wrists for the gloves, and if you get the pants they plug right into the jacket at the waist. And the same for the pants they have plugs at the ankles for the socks or shoe liners. And since I have frostbit my feet dark purple in the past I can't keep my feet warm enough. Also the plug style that Gerbings uses is the same as Firstgear so you can interconnect brands. They both say you shouldn't, but from the store that I got my gloves at that sell both brands so it don't matter. It is more just so the brands keep you loyal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts