Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since fall and winter are coming up, i was wondering if anyone knew what heated gear hooks up with the classic 900 accessory power plug ins under the seat. I have an 09 model if that makes any difference.

I am wanting to stay within the accessory wattage/voltage recomended by Kawa. All i really need are boot inserts or socks and a vest, gloves too if the bike can take it. Im good everywhere else.

With the gear i have now, im good down to about 45oF for up to about an hour. I love winter riding and would like to be able to extend that season.

Any recomendations or experience?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Heated gear

I use a cobra power port mounted on my bars and use oxford heated grips. You can see my setup if you look at my posts.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
You can handle up to 70 watts of juice, and remember, thermostatically controlled heated gear won't ALWAYS be running at peak. You'll be fine running heated gear.

Just make sure the wire gauge and fuse used on the accessory plug are within the specs needed to make your gear work. Don't be tempted to put a bigger fuse in the block, that's a good way to have melted wiring! If the gear won't work in the accessory port, just run some heavier gauge wiring to the battery either through an aftermarket fuse block, or with an inline fuse.

Good luck! I may be doing the same this winter. I try to ride most of the year round if I can. I love riding when it's cool out for sure!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. I have actualy found some pretty interesting rechargeable heated socks that would be perfect for me.

How well did your heated grips keep your hands warm through your gloves (im assuming your wearing gloves if its cold enough to use grip heaters)? How much do they draw?

Also, any recomendations for the heated vest?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
this is what i have.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-New-Motorcycle-Heated-Grip-Kit-Pads-for-Motorcycle-Handlebars-Black-12V-/150888025049?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2321a08bd9

it might not be the best looking thing but its super cheap and does the job great. and yes i do wear gloves (leather ones) and i still feel the heat!

the only problem i have with these are that there is no control for temperature. so its either fully on or off. but im sure you can wire like an adjustable switch or something.

i installed them over the grips and remove them when the warm weather comes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts