Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Vulcan a couple years ago with Cobra pipes. They seem OK to me; but the wife hates how loud they are. I do feel bad taking off early Sunday mornings (I live in a row home, so I have attached neighbors). In any case, the wife's rules rule.

Ebay found some originals in not too bad shape. They are missing some pieces though. Most importantly, the large heat shields. Cheapcycleparts.com has them for $105/each. I'm wondering if I could get away with some generic shields from Cobra or someone.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I bought my Vulcan a couple years ago with Cobra pipes. They seem OK to me; but the wife hates how loud they are. I do feel bad taking off early Sunday mornings (I live in a row home, so I have attached neighbors). In any case, the wife's rules rule.

Ebay found some originals in not too bad shape. They are missing some pieces though. Most importantly, the large heat shields. Cheapcycleparts.com has them for $105/each. I'm wondering if I could get away with some generic shields from Cobra or someone.
Know the sayin Happy wife Happy life,Wait dont have one:smile2:

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
A couple options. 1 universal heat shields, 2 exhaust header wrap available from most auto parts store, and 3 although may not the best option, different wife. Just kidding on that one. I did have an extra set, but not sure I still have them, but will look when I get a chance. If I find them, will get back to you.

·
Registered
504 Posts
A couple options. 1 universal heat shields, 2 exhaust header wrap available from most auto parts store, and 3 although may not the best option, different wife. Just kidding on that one. I did have an extra set, but not sure I still have them, but will look when I get a chance. If I find them, will get back to you.
Along those lines, Blue Collar Bobbers has the exhaust wrap kit (wrap, ties, etc.) for like $20. Also includes instructions. I can't say enough good things about that company and the products they sell!

-John

·
Registered
245 Posts
i have "stock" exhaust pipes - I cut them open, sectioned them into three pieces and took out the inner 1" tube, then removed the baffles. welded it all back up. put on heat wrap from autozone (1" stuff, one roll, i believe 15-20 feet) Then put on the stock heat shields. bike is loud, but has the factory look, but has virtually open exhaust at 1-3/4" and therefore i'm in stealth mode. ha ha

anyway, my point is, the bike looked good with just the heat wrap. i can take off the backrest, the windscreen, and the stock pipe shields and the bike goes into bad ass mode.
But, really it looks good with just the wrap. you could wrap it while you search for shield alternatives. check ebay too, and do a "save search".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Rick, if you find those shields and don't want them anymore, I'm sure we can work a deal.

Otherwise, I'll try one of the other solutions that will cost significantly less that what the website was quoting.

·
Bike Of The Summer Winner 2017
18 Posts
The wrap is good depending on your style of bike. Then just get some universal heat shields and clamp them on. As far as making your bike quiet, that will still run you a bit for new mufflers unless you get a 2 to 1 made and then you just have to buy one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts