Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new 09 1700 Classic. It was an older model that never sold.

Never the less, my leg roasts from the heat. I see Kawasaki was sending out heat shield kits. I got the form from this site and contacted Kawasaki. They don't seem to know anything about it.

Does anyone have a recall number or any info other than what is on that paper? They said they will be glad to sell me one for $400 otherwise.

I may have to do that :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Other than the heat kit for the Voyager, I haven't heard of any thing like that for the classic.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks David.

There is a part number for a heat shield for the classic in the pinned thread in this forum that has the order form.

I guess I'll go check with my dealer but I don't expect to get very far with them.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Had to work with my dealer a little bit on my Nomad. Make sure they understand it was sent out under "sales" which you will see at the top of the pdf. It is not a recall and they only allocation a portion of an hour to do the work but I just got mine last week.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dan. I printed the document and I plan on taking it by my dealer on the way home today. I should have brought my lucky rabbits foot.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I had the kams kit installed on my Voyager. They took the front heat shield off and replaced it with a different one. I should of made them give me the old one but did not think about until now.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally got my bike to the dealer and they installed the heat shield kit from Kawasaki.

It made a HUGE difference in keeping the heat off of my right leg.

They did such a great job of taking care of me. I guess that's why this is my 4th bike to buy from them. :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Glad to hear that. Basically the kit contains a new radiator top shield that directs air away from the top of the first jug (more downward) and a new front exhaust cover that prevents hot air from running down the right side to your leg. It's a decent setup but it's still a hot bike.

Would be nice if the KAMS kit could be retrofitted but realistically now I think most of the heat comes from the pipes, which I am going to wrap. Just tough to take on the 90+ days if not going over 60 mph.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts