Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may sound like a foolish question, but my 2008-900 seems to run hotter that it should. As the temperature climbs above 80 degrees, I find that when sitting at a stop sign heat seems to just roll off the engine. The fan is working as I can hear it when it switches on, and I get a blast of air back from the front where the fan is located. Which brings me to my question, is this normal or could the fan be wired to spin in reverse instead of through the radiator? I looked at the plug in to see if it could be wired incorrectly, but it looks like there is only one way to plug the fan into the wiring harness. I love the bike but I'm baking like a potato in 85 degree weather, can't imagine what it will be like when the temp heads up to 100 degrees........... I will say that the bike runs great and shows no indication that it is overheating or anything. How about the thermostat? Is this the next step to check out?

Any comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
If ur fan is turning on and going off, I am sure all is good......Never heard of one spinning backwards but anything is possible....Just put ur hand in front of it when on....Chances r slim 2 non this is the problem.....Make sure coolant is topped up....The v twins always pound out a lot of heat....Big time.....Then u got that big rad in front....Is normal....Look at all the problems the guys with the new Voyagers have been havin with heat.....When hot out and am in traffic my bike just throws out the heat.....Ride and have fun....:)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Your fan is designed to pull the air through the rad...the air flow when the bike is running down the highway should be coming through the rad in the same direction (in towards the engine) the fan should pull the air in the same direction. It is mainly on when you are driving in slow traffic and stoppped. Once you are riding on the highway, the air flow coming in should be enough to shut the fan off.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
451 Posts
When the temp gets up to 100 degrees, you won't be wearing shorts, because the hot air will roast your calves. Also, the bike draws intake air from between the cylinders, and the air cleaner cover gets hotter than he!! also, which will fry your knees.

My rule of thumb is that, if it's over 90, I'm driving an air conditioned car. Wind chill works the other way, too.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information....I did feel the fan drawing air though the radiator. Guess it is a quirk of the bike to be hotter than what I am used to with my Honda or Suzuki....I'll learn to deal..... at my age, I am running out of time to ride, so I can't let a little thing like too warm keep me from riding. I'll just have to picture in my mind 30 degrees and a little snow flurry spittin, to take my mind off the heat.........

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Thanks for the information....I did feel the fan drawing air though the radiator. Guess it is a quirk of the bike to be hotter than what I am used to with my Honda or Suzuki....I'll learn to deal..... at my age, I am running out of time to ride, so I can't let a little thing like too warm keep me from riding. I'll just have to picture in my mind 30 degrees and a little snow flurry spittin, to take my mind off the heat.........
This coolant was recomended to me by a master mechanic for my sport bike when i went to the Grand Canyon a couple of years ago, said to drop engine temp by around 20 f. never used it, avail in the States and sold by Parts Unlimited at any bike store

http://www.partscanada.com/catalogue/2010/mcv1/en/pages/1001.html

Cheers Maurice

·
Registered
295 Posts
I doubt there's anything wrong. I don't even notice heat from the bike in the summer. Take a ride on a one or two year old Concours 14 if you want to experience real heat. :rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts