Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2016 Vaquero. I noticed that it blows a ton of heat on me. I was out this weekend and at red lights it was hot as hell. Does anyone make heat shields or diffusers for this or do I just have to live with it?

·
Registered
701 Posts
You can get a set of deflectors from index.html They make the only air deflector for the vaquero. They work great I have a set for mine. Also the best thing you can do is get the ECU reflashed at Ivans Performance in Congers NY. That shouldn't be to long of a ride for you. I would get that done first. Both items will reduce the heat you feel. Nothing will stop it completely as it is a big hot motor between your legs...lol The flash will work best at heat and performance, it totally change the way the bike rides.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks captj3. That's great info. I think I'll give Ivan's a call. Thanks again. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
580 Posts
......or you can install a manual switch to turn the fan on before it gets that hot, just search this forum for info on it

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just got a 2016 Vaquero. I noticed that it blows a ton of heat on me. I was out this weekend and at red lights it was hot as hell. Does anyone make heat shields or diffusers for this or do I just have to live with it?
I have a similar situation, although we don't get too many really hot days in a year. I used header-wrap on the rear header, and it, along with the manual fan switch made a noticeable difference. If it hadn't, I was prepared to wrap the front header, too.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Don't ride where there is traffic. What fun is that?

Wrap the exhaust, replace coolant with engine ice, place a sheepskin pelt on the seat in addition to what others have said.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Thanks captj3. That's great info. I think I'll give Ivan's a call. Thanks again. I really appreciate it.
You're welcome. :good: While the other posts will work to a point the flash just gives you so much more, especially if you have not invested in any kind of fuel processor yet.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Don't ride where there is traffic. What fun is that?

Wrap the exhaust, replace coolant with engine ice, place a sheepskin pelt on the seat in addition to what others have said.
I've heard of adding ICE to the coolant, but not replacing the coolant with it.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
I've had a heat issue too, here in Georgia. IT"S BEEN IN THE 90's ALL DAMN SUMMER!!!!!!.:surprise: Oh, the bike, it hasn't been bad at all. Had the flash, changed to engine ice (although I saw no difference with it), and wrapped the pipes. Looking forward to a few weeks of cooler riding weather before I break out the electric gear. Oh yeah, I put a set of Oxford headed grips on last fall. As Tony the Tiger would say "Their GRREEAAT" Or something like that.:grin2:

·
Registered
232 Posts
I got a set of deflectors & put them on last month after 3 years of thinking about it. Best 134 bucks spent. They look great and really eliminate the heat in motion completely, a little at idle. Even better is the distinct reduction in noise. Unbelievable after riding 43 years. Get u some!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
I got a set of deflectors & put them on last month after 3 years of thinking about it. Best 134 bucks spent. They look great and really eliminate the heat in motion completely, a little at idle. Even better is the distinct reduction in noise. Unbelievable after riding 43 years. Get u some!

Will they fit a Voyager and where do I get them. :nerd:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yes, Voyager or my 2012 Nomad. Google rjs originals or kawasaki saddle heat shields, or go to www. rjsoriginals.bizland.com
They are perfect and WORTH it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got a 2016 Voyager a few months ago and I am on the Gulf Coast (Upper 90's all summer this year). I had Ivan flash the ECU at 400 miles. The temp runs a full mark lower on the gauge. Not to mention the 5 mpg I picked up! And the smoother acceleration, the no decel popping,......oh the list goes on and on. *S*

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had the rear pipe wrapped last year while the bike was being rebuilt and it makes a HUGE difference although, in the cooler weather I miss the added heat, lol

I had the flash done too and I see the bike runs a bit cooler however I didn't notice any difference in the amount of heat I feel.

I've debated on switching to engine ice but was also recommended to look into Evan's waterless coolant, anybody tried it?

·
Registered
490 Posts
I got a 2016 Voyager a few months ago and I am on the Gulf Coast (Upper 90's all summer this year). I had Ivan flash the ECU at 400 miles. The temp runs a full mark lower on the gauge. Not to mention the 5 mpg I picked up! And the smoother acceleration, the no decel popping,......oh the list goes on and on. *S*
5mpg? That's outstanding! What are you getting now, and what were you getting before? I'm currently getting 32-38mpg, depending on how much city or highway riding I'm doing.

I find the Vaquero puts out some heat, but I like to ride when it's colder out, so I haven't done anything about it yet.

-John

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I've heard of adding ICE to the coolant, but not replacing the coolant with it.
You may have misunderstood. Engine ICE cannot be mixed with the factory coolant. In fact, you have to do a flush with a vinegar/distilled water mixture before switching to engine ICE. Look up their informative website.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I had the rear pipe wrapped last year while the bike was being rebuilt and it makes a HUGE difference although, in the cooler weather I miss the added heat, lol

I had the flash done too and I see the bike runs a bit cooler however I didn't notice any difference in the amount of heat I feel.

I've debated on switching to engine ice but was also recommended to look into Evan's waterless coolant, anybody tried it?
Evan's Waterless Coolant is snake oil. It is mostly ethylene glycol with some propylene glycol and additives. They say it is non-toxic. WTF! Ethylene glycol is definitely toxic. Enough so that it has been used more than once to commit murder. The heat transfer rate using these glycols only is not nearly as good as when mixed with water. Besides, most of the world is moving away from ethylene glycol because of environmental concerns (i.e. the toxicity).

They have a racing version NPG, which they say is acceptable at racetracks where no glycols are allowed, but it is 69% ethylene glycol according to the MSDS!

·
Registered
78 Posts
You may have misunderstood. Engine ICE cannot be mixed with the factory coolant. In fact, you have to do a flush with a vinegar/distilled water mixture before switching to engine ICE. Look up their informative website.
thank you very much! I've personally never used it but have been considering it, even with Ivan's flash, BAK and exhaust if its 80* or hotter and I get caught at a red light the temp gauge spikes up and fast.

·
Registered
701 Posts
No coolant is going to take away the heat when sitting at a light. Now the reflash addresses this by having the fan come on at a lower temp. At the end of the day you will always feel the heat from the motor when at a light or driving slow in the hotter months depending on where you live. The motor will always run at 180* and you will feel the rush of heat at a light. Trust me I know I live in florida. Wrapping the rear exhaust pipe and getting the ecu flashed are all you can do. Just imagine if the motor was air cooled only how hot it would get.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts