Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered the heat deflectors that roadie installed on his bike. I have to say they work real good. They keep my thighs from cooking and have redirected the air flow on the bike as well when it gets hot in traffic. I don't get that big rush of hot air hitting me in the face as much. The taller windshield created that after I installed it. It changed the air flow significantly.

Now for the exhaust. Sorry Ray I couldn't wait...lol
I installed my tri-ovals from my old nomad on the bike. I have to say I was quite surprised when I started the bike. They are louder than they were on my nomad. Now I have to upgrade the stereo.:eek: The strangest thing is the heavy smell of unburnt gas I get now. Wait, almost like the bike was running very rich, which is not the norm for these bikes. I still haven't installed the power-pro yet or marbled the air injection. The bike has better pickup, at least my butt thinks so.

I was surprised at the difference between the two bikes with the exhaust. I wonder if kawasaki made some changes in the way they mapped my vaquero in the ECU? Or is it all in my head...lol

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
The Vaquero does have some differences from the early 1700 nomads. Plus, with the fairing you are probably hearing them more.

Or, did you put new gaskets between the slip ons and the exhaust?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Vaquero does have some differences from the early 1700 nomads. Plus, with the fairing you are probably hearing them more.

Or, did you put new gaskets between the slip ons and the exhaust?
I definitely hear more exhaust with the fairing. I reused the gaskets as they didn't come out when I removed the stock exhaust. The bike only had 800 miles on it when I switched. It's the exhaust smell that really gets to me sometimes. I may have to get a shorter windshield to change the air flow, but I like the protection of the 14" one I have on the bike now.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Installed these on my 2010 VV. Definetly deflects the heat away from the groin area. They really shine when in stop and go riding.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
wouldn't mind more info on these heat deflectors. How about some pics??

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
wouldn't mind more info on these heat deflectors. How about some pics??
These heat shields work great, several of us on this forum have bought these for our Vaqueros and Voyagers.

1368863995567.jpg

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Roadie hit the nail on the head. These work great, better than I thought they would. I would recomend them to anyone with a vaquero, voyager, or a nomad. They are well worth the money and install was super easy.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thanks for the link. Must admit, I wasn't expecting that price... wow. Well it's definitely on my list but I can think of a few things I can talk the wife into dropping $140 on first. :)

·
Registered
851 Posts
I'm thinking the same thing as c law, to pricey! Before I spend $140 dollars, I would get some heat wrap and wrap the header exhaust. Isn't that where most of your heat comes from?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm thinking the same thing as c law, to pricey! Before I spend $140 dollars, I would get some heat wrap and wrap the header exhaust. Isn't that where most of your heat comes from?
Yes and no.The heat comes from 2 different places. First the headers, then the rear jug and the rush of hot air when the fan comes on. I know these are pricey but they are well worth the money IMO. I went for a 3-4 hr ride (slow putter down A1A) yesterday with these installed. I have to tell you if I would have done this with my old nomad my legs would have been cooked. Those that know and live here in Florida will understand the ride. Nothing faster than 35 mph. But a real nice cruise down the beach. All I can say is they really work well and are a snap to install. Much easier than taking off your headers. Nothing more than 15 minutes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I can't seem to get the Kawasaki portion of that website to even work... strange.
I contacted the owner and here is what he said about the Kawasaki portion of the site:

"I'm still setting up a purchase page on my web site. I'm still
making heat deflectors for the Kawasaki. Riders have been purchasing
through my ebay store for the time being through the link below or you can
call us direct at 910-592-1585 and place an order with us over the phone.
Though our ebay listing is of the Kawasaki-Vulcan-1700-Voyager. The look
and fitment will indeed fit and look the same on your Vaquero."

He gave me a link for his eBay store (which I think is the same that Rusty just posted as well):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-Vulcan-1700-Voyager-Standard-Style-Heat-Deflectors-USA-/140960798933?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20d1eb18d5

Also, some of you have mentioned that the shield is a bit pricey. If you go to his eBay store and read the notes about the product, it gives more detail which might provide some insight into the cost.

(I have no affiliation with the owner or the product, he just asked me to repost this information here on his behalf.)

Thanks.

3P

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
They are well made and work really well, as to pricey, just what is your upper thighs and jewels worth to you (cheaper to bitch about the heat for many), well worth the price to me to keep me a lot cooler in those areas - :D

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have 3 kids and have taken precautions to not have anymore. So they really aren't worth as much to me as they were ten years ago :D

That being said, my 900 didn't put off a lot of heat. I've noticed more from the 1700 obviously but haven't ridden it enough in hot days to make these a must have. I do have to ride home during rush hour today and its going to be the hottest day since I've had the bike (90 degrees) so ill probably be singing a different tune in about 5 hours. :)

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
I was riding in a parade Sunday in honor of a disabled vet that got to return home for a bit from rehab. Ride was a painfully slow, casual walking pace, ride about a mile and a half to the fairground. Needless to say, my baby didn't like that much! I made a comment about "cooking the family jewels, but I don't need them much anymore anyway." A guy responds with "be careful about saying that too loud, folks around there like mountain oysters!" I wasn't sure if the comment was a warning or a request! :eek:
They ain't that well done, and regardless, I'm still rather attached to the boys!

·
Registered
243 Posts
i was riding in a parade sunday in honor of a disabled vet that got to return home for a bit from rehab. Ride was a painfully slow, casual walking pace, ride about a mile and a half to the fairground. Needless to say, my baby didn't like that much! I made a comment about "cooking the family jewels, but i don't need them much anymore anyway." a guy responds with "be careful about saying that too loud, folks around there like mountain oysters!" i wasn't sure if the comment was a warning or a request! :eek:
They ain't that well done, and regardless, i'm still rather attached to the boys!
:d hahahaha

1 - 20 of 28 Posts