Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my wife a 2000LT. 2009. Her only complaint is the heat from the engine. Anybody have any input, pictures. Places to find such a accessory? Thanks.

·
Registered
250 Posts
It can be a problem but I've found it to be be pretty situational and infrequent. On my '08 it's mainly when it's 85 degrees or warmer, I'm stuck in slow traffic and the fan kicks on. But I can see if someone had shorter legs that have to hug the bike closer that it could be a problem. I'm sure someone on here has found or made a heat shield. Until you find a solution, maybe avoiding slow traffic on hot days when possible could help limit it.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,919 Posts
I've never seen/heard of a heat shield for this bike. (And have had it over a decade now).

Might wanna check the coolant. Shoot, go ahead and flush the radiator while your at it. Since it's used, you don't know if it's ever been done (probably not, since it's an 09).

Flush the radiator and put some engine ice in there. Even here in Deep Texas, I've never had a problem with engine heat. (maybe it's just so hot here in the summer, I don't notice it...)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both. I am going to change the coolant. But I am going to keep looking for the shield. I found an image on Google but that was just a picture nothing else, thanks again. And she has shorter legs. :)

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,919 Posts
Thank you both. I am going to change the coolant. But I am going to keep looking for the shield. I found an image on Google but that was just a picture nothing else, thanks again. And she has shorter legs. :)
Is it the heat from the engine, or the heat from the pipes?

·
Registered
203 Posts
The heat I get is from the rear pipe. Gets very hot and radiates from there. Had has a piece which they use to deflect heat I guess buddy has it. Will have to ask about it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heat

Is it the heat from the engine, or the heat from the pipes?

She thinks it is from the engine. It has cobra pipes. They are shielded. I believe her short legs add to the discomfort. When I first started looking for the shield I thought it would be easy to find. My bike is an older Harley. For an air cooled bike those parts are all over the place. But liquid cooled. For the most part I would think is unnecessary. So I will start with flush and keep looking. Rainy day like today is a good day to check the web. :)

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
She thinks it is from the engine. It has cobra pipes. They are shielded. I believe her short legs add to the discomfort. When I first started looking for the shield I thought it would be easy to find. My bike is an older Harley. For an air cooled bike those parts are all over the place. But liquid cooled. For the most part I would think is unnecessary. So I will start with flush and keep looking. Rainy day like today is a good day to check the web. :)
bud, engine ice and otter kool'ants (yes, I put that $chitt in my motor)will reduce the air temp off the radiator as that is what ever body thinks they want/need. it will not reduce engine operating temp. if anything it will raise it. but that opens a whole kan of worms. all those with $kin in thi$ i$$ue will $wear that it worx. hey if it worx 4u it$ worth it. but it$ all in yor head.
but it don't hurt to flush replace coolant ever couple 3yrs..

what she is experiencing is radiation heat from the engine itself. the whole block, cases, cyl and heads emit this. the only solution is to wear leather. I suppose you could get some silver reflective suit that would help some but would make her look like a power ranger or martian..?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts