Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am still getting used to the bike.
I'm having trouble getting used to the heal toe shiftier. I keep hitting the heal accidentally.
Any suggestions?
Is there a toe only replacement?

·
Registered
377 Posts
HI MV

Practice keeping your foot flat on the boards (if you have boards). And try using it to up shift. It will soon become natural to you and you won't inadvertently step on it. I went through the same thing when I bought my 1700 Classic.

WEG

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Easy solution - I had the same problem with the heel shifter. I simply repositioned the shifter on its spline shaft (have to loosen the securing bolt, may need to do minor shift linkage adjustment) so that the heel shifter was slightly below the footboard level, and use the toe shifter only.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same issue hitting the heel shifter and going into neutral or shifting accidentally. I bought a pair of boots with a flat heel and I really do not have the issue anymore as when my foot slides back it stops at the heel shifter and wont hit it any more, works for me anyways.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm having the same exact issue, and it sucks. I'm contemplating cutting it off, as the replacement is only $100, and I never plan on selling the bike so I wouldn't care to replace it if I cut it off. The only thing I can recommend, other than cutting it off, is to try and keep your feet as flat as possible and as far forward on the boards as you feel comfortable, to try and keep your heel far enough forward that it won't hit the heel shifter.

·
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner
862 Posts
Sometimes it just comes down to personal preference.

But...I've been riding for many years. I had to get accustomed to my first heel/toe shifter. IMHO there isn't anything better. I highly recommend giving it time, trying different boots or whatever. Once you give it time and become accustomed to it you won't want to do it any other way. Practice, practice, practice until you can do it in your sleep. That advice is for every control on your bike by the way.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I'm having the same exact issue, and it sucks. I'm contemplating cutting it off, as the replacement is only $100, and I never plan on selling the bike so I wouldn't care to replace it if I cut it off. The only thing I can recommend, other than cutting it off, is to try and keep your feet as flat as possible and as far forward on the boards as you feel comfortable, to try and keep your heel far enough forward that it won't hit the heel shifter.
For me the heel/toe shifter was a blasted nuisance. Kept hitting the heel part accidentally with my size 13 boots. Solution for me was to reposition the shifter so that the heel portion is below the footboard level and use only the toe function. With my thick boots (I use two different types and pairs) that has worked great for me for 10 years.

·
Registered
77 Posts
For me the heel/toe shifter was a blasted nuisance. Kept hitting the heel part accidentally with my size 13 boots. Solution for me was to reposition the shifter so that the heel portion is below the footboard level and use only the toe function. With my thick boots (I use two different types and pairs) that has worked great for me for 10 years.
Definitely something to remember. I'll have to take a look at my bike and see what it would take to reposition the heel part, rather than cut it off. I have size 12 feet, though Alpinestars says I wear a 10.5, so that heel shifter keeps getting in the way. I went for a ride earlier and I thought I'd be in second, and I was in third, maybe even fourth once, and I kept having to down shift more than I expected. Stupid big feet and the heel shifter getting in the way.

I just like the toe shifter more anyways, it just feels more right, as it feels like I'm actually doing something, whereas the heel shifter changes gears if you even look at it funny, so it never feels like I'm doing anything when I use it, which isn't any fun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sometimes it just comes down to personal preference.

But...I've been riding for many years. I had to get accustomed to my first heel/toe shifter. IMHO there isn't anything better. I highly recommend giving it time, trying different boots or whatever. Once you give it time and become accustomed to it you won't want to do it any other way. Practice, practice, practice until you can do it in your sleep. That advice is for every control on your bike by the way.
Agreed. I love it! So much fun. I love switching between toe heel shifting and 1 down 4 up shifting. The Vulcan may be the best damn bike ever made! :)

·
Registered
521 Posts
Maybe a foot size issue or footwear issue. I love the heel shifter. Size 10 here.... :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I also am a long time m/c rider 40+ years and just bought my first bike with the heal toe shifter (2017 900). For me it was a "what an idiot moment!! I have always thought that they looked stupid and shunned them!! 5 miles of riding and a convert I am!!! Bloody brilliant if you ask me. I did have a few moments of adjustment and a few brain farts on the way but in the end I feel that I would not want to live without it. With that being said I don't believe that it would work on my GS in an off road scenario. The onlly real problem that I suffered was getting my boot wedged between the heal and toe pads, seems that my boot fits perfect squished in between!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts