Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( My headset failed 2 weeks ago and I took it to Kawasaki for warranty replacement. The strain relief where the cable comes out of the mike bracket is broken all the way around the cable so it is no longer a strain relief. I noticed it when the audio started going in and out. I can jiggle the cord and make the sound go away then come back. Well the bad news is that Kaw only warrants this for 90 days and I am just over that so they won't warrant it. I have struggled with the KAW branded headset due to low volume and poor sound quality. I will not replace it with another KAW branded part to fail in another 90 days.

What headset is everyone else using?

·
Registered
644 Posts
J&M makes a great set up and they have the lower cord for the Voyager. I have the J&M set up on two helmets and they both work great.

http://www.jmcorp.com/

·
Registered
223 Posts
We just acquired the Scala G4 Powerset and are very pleased so far.

·
Registered
62 Posts
:( My headset failed 2 weeks ago and I took it to Kawasaki for warranty replacement. The strain relief where the cable comes out of the mike bracket is broken all the way around the cable so it is no longer a strain relief. I noticed it when the audio started going in and out. I can jiggle the cord and make the sound go away then come back. Well the bad news is that Kaw only warrants this for 90 days and I am just over that so they won't warrant it. I have struggled with the KAW branded headset due to low volume and poor sound quality. I will not replace it with another KAW branded part to fail in another 90 days.

What headset is everyone else using?
I have the J&M Headset, and the strain relief failed in the same way as your Kawasaki model did. Beginning to think they are all poor quality!

Hank

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is interesting. The strain relief on the J&M looks much more significant. Did J&M warrant it?

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
more thoughts

I have been thinking about how the cord could fail so soon on my unit. Yes I wear it almost every day and get on and off allot however, I never stretch the cord and have never dropped the helmet. So the cord failure has been puzzling me. I have been working in the machine maintenance/engineering field since 1971. So my background is to find root causes of failures so they can be prevented.

Today when I took my helmet off and stowed it in the trunk I discovered something very interesting. Often when I take my helmet out of the trunk and put it on the headset is not working or only the left speaker is working. After the 1st couple of times, I knew all I had to do was push the mike assembly down on the plug because it had come partially unplugged. I never really thought through why this might be but today I discovered why. The cord that plugs into the bike exits the mike body from the bottom and is pointing straight down. It strain relief protrudes below the bottom lip of the helmet so that when the helmet in placed in the trunk with the mike installed 1 of 2 things or both happens.

1. The cord bends at a sharp 90 degree bend with the weight of the helmet sitting on the cord. BTW, the separation in the strain relief matches up perfectly with where the cord bends.
2. As the helmet is placed in the trunk the cord bends then pushes the mike off its seat partially unplugging it.

So I have no illusion that Kaw will change their mind and replace the cord set since it is out of the 90 day warranty however I will take it back to the dealership and show them what caused the failure in hopes that they will pass the info upstream. In the mean time I would not recommend anyone purchase the Kaw branded headsets.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I have been thinking about how the cord could fail so soon on my unit. Yes I wear it almost every day and get on and off allot however, I never stretch the cord and have never dropped the helmet. So the cord failure has been puzzling me. I have been working in the machine maintenance/engineering field since 1971. So my background is to find root causes of failures so they can be prevented.

Today when I took my helmet off and stowed it in the trunk I discovered something very interesting. Often when I take my helmet out of the trunk and put it on the headset is not working or only the left speaker is working. After the 1st couple of times, I knew all I had to do was push the mike assembly down on the plug because it had come partially unplugged. I never really thought through why this might be but today I discovered why. The cord that plugs into the bike exits the mike body from the bottom and is pointing straight down. It strain relief protrudes below the bottom lip of the helmet so that when the helmet in placed in the trunk with the mike installed 1 of 2 things or both happens.

1. The cord bends at a sharp 90 degree bend with the weight of the helmet sitting on the cord. BTW, the separation in the strain relief matches up perfectly with where the cord bends.
2. As the helmet is placed in the trunk the cord bends then pushes the mike off its seat partially unplugging it.

So I have no illusion that Kaw will change their mind and replace the cord set since it is out of the 90 day warranty however I will take it back to the dealership and show them what caused the failure in hopes that they will pass the info upstream. In the mean time I would not recommend anyone purchase the Kaw branded headsets.
I believe the instructions that came with my headsets recommended disconnecting at the helmet instead of the bike.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Humm I can't remember however one would have to do both since you can't leave the cord hanging. I will see if I can find the instructions. tonight when I get home from work.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got this from the Kawasaki website:

TIPS
• The best way to use the headset cord is to disconnect
at the helmet and leave the cord connected to the bike.
• If you need a longer cord, an 8”-12” section of the
coiled part can be gently pulled to relax the coiling and
gain a few extra inches of “free” length.

So how may of you would leave your mike laying on your bike and walk away? Geez.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I got this from the Kawasaki website:

TIPS
• The best way to use the headset cord is to disconnect
at the helmet and leave the cord connected to the bike.
• If you need a longer cord, an 8”-12” section of the
coiled part can be gently pulled to relax the coiling and
gain a few extra inches of “free” length.

So how may of you would leave your mike laying on your bike and walk away? Geez.
I depends on how long I am away from the bike and where the bike is parked. I usually leave the helmet on the bike as well. Especially if I can see the bike from where I am sitting in the restaurant. Someone would have to be pretty ballsy to touch something on a bike that looks like the owner could be and probably is packing.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine is my primary means of transportation so I may be at work inside the plant where I can't see it or in a store where I can't see it or most other places I am. I heard that people steal entire motorcycles on occasions. But really I always put my helmet away since the weather is so unpredictable here and it just doesn't make sense to leave the mike pluged into the bike and setting on the seat for easy prey or out in the rain. But that's just me. But the reality here is that since Kaw put it in the instruction book to take it off the helmet then they will simply tell me I did not follow the instrucions.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I put a cover on my bikes at work. The sun will age them quicker than anything else here in the south. Plus out of sight out of mind. I left the key, gps, helmet, cord on the bike this past weekend at the hotel. Of course the bike was covered, and I had the bike in my sights from the hotel window.

I have yet to hear of a Voyager getting stolen. Not a desired bike for gang members like sport bikes and Harleys.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you are likely correct.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts