Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 nomad 1700. I need to replace tube headlight and im wanting something that throws a beam out farther than the OEM bulb. I have tried LED bulbs on my truck to replace the halogens that were in it and they were definitely brighter but that brightness was not focused. The beam was scattered all over and it made it hard to see. I have also looked at some different halogen bulbs and the xZe and the OSRAM bulbs seem to be the brightest halogen bulbs available. My question is has anyone replaced their headlight, what type of bulb did you use, was it better or worse than the OEM bulb?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Higher output bulbs, of the traditional type anyway, don't last as long.

I use the Phillips Vision (or maybe Vision Plus). They claim +30 and +60%, respectively. To me they make a noticeable but not huge difference.

When I need serious light and traffic conditions permit I fire up the LED auxiliary lights. When these are on I typically don't even bother to turn the primary headlight to high beam as it gives practically no additional improvement.

I do not use the blue tinted bulbs.

Some interesting reading about bulbs here: https://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/bulbs.html

There are several articles of interest there. One of the key points is that the headlamp assembly (and in some cases lens assembly) is what basically determines the beam pattern. A different bulb can change that if the filament position is different from the specified position for the bulb type, but generally results in degradation, not improvement of the beam pattern itself. Articles within the link explain this type of thing.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks whoru99 very interesting reading , although a bit old don't know if all the info applies today since i've seen a couple of led headlight bulb manufactures claim to be DOT approved, what is your opinion ? Do you know where to check if they are freally DOT approved y browsed the DOT website and couldn't find that informatiion

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Higher output bulbs, of the traditional type anyway, don't last as long.

I use the Phillips Vision (or maybe Vision Plus). They claim +30 and +60%, respectively. To me they make a noticeable but not huge difference.

When I need serious light and traffic conditions permit I fire up the LED auxiliary lights. When these are on I typically don't even bother to turn the primary headlight to high beam as it gives practically no additional improvement.

I do not use the blue tinted bulbs.

Some interesting reading about bulbs here: https://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/bulbs.html

There are several articles of interest there. One of the key points is that the headlamp assembly (and in some cases lens assembly) is what basically determines the beam pattern. A different bulb can change that if the filament position is different from the specified position for the bulb type, but generally results in degradation, not improvement of the beam pattern itself. Articles within the link explain this type of thing.
I had read some of this info you posted and this coupled with my experience of putting LED replacement bulbs in my truck that was originally equipped with halogen bulbs is why im asking what other people are running and their experience with that choice. I like the idea of LED bulbs but without replacing the headlight assembly im afraid the beam is going to be scattered and worse than the OEM bulb. I don't mind using a halogen but not sure what the best choice is. I have run sylvania silver stars and xZe bulbs with good results in my truck. Curious what everyone else is using.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I have also used Osram Silverstars. They worked fine too, same type of deal. Noticeable but not huge difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts