Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need advice. I have a VN1700 classic tourer 63 plate my headlights wont come on also the alternator won't charge too. Looking at the wiring diagram they seem to be connected to the same relay. Where is this relay located? I have checked the two relays under seat next to tilt switch, both are working fine. There is also a relay box with 3 plugs next to another unit with 2 large plugs connected i think this is ECU is the 3 plug relay for headlights? We found a short in the tail light but tail lights, break lights and small light to front of bike all working and fuses not blowing. Battery seems ok it keeps a charge when off trickle charge. Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
4,550 Posts
Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. The headlight and the alternator do not use the same relay. You said you have a wiring diagram. But if you need a factory repair manual, here is a link. Going to move your post to the 1700 Model Section so other members who have your model will contribute their opinions. Thanks again for becoming a member. Be well.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
As Tourer said, the stator (alternator) is not on the same relay as the headlight. The stator(s) is/are wired to the regulator/rectifier(s) (R/R). There are specific tests in the manual for checking out the charging system. Also search the forum. There are lots of threads on how to diagnose the symptoms you have. Your problem could be anything from a bad ground to a bad stator.

Just because the battery seems to hold a charge, does not mean that it is good. You need to do a deep discharge test to determine if the battery is good. If your stator or R/R has failed, either can result in the other failing, and also kill your battery in the process.

Reactions: Tourer
1 - 3 of 3 Posts