Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When on the open road it seems like the normal beam is not strong enough. High beam is finr just would like a liitle more output when on normal. What is the watts of the standard bulb and what would be a good one to change to.:D

·
Registered
68 Posts
I agree...during daylight I run with high beam on all the time...

and at night I do also and no one has ever flashed my back yet...

·
Registered
376 Posts
Napa

Try the Wagner BP1210 80/100-H4 watt lamp sold by NAPA. The bulb is much brighter but the trade off is that it does not last as long as the stock bulb. The first one went out after 4,000 miles for me but I can live with that and carry a spare in the saddlebags.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will cahnging to a high output bulb affect anything say battery?

·
Registered
441 Posts
I was very impressed with the visibility of my headlight. I would verify the headlight aim is correct. I toggle between low and high beam when riding at night over hills. As I crest a hill I switch to low beam to see down the other side them back to high again. Most of the time I am comfortable to low beam on low flat roads but I will use the high also.

Again, have your aim checked.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will the stock wiring handle the bigger bulb?

·
Registered
376 Posts
The stock wiring is no problem for the BP1210 80/100-H4. When replacing a bulb, be sure you do not touch the glass portion with your fingers. The oil in your skin can shorten the bulb life.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Try the Wagner BP1210 80/100-H4 watt lamp sold by NAPA. The bulb is much brighter but the trade off is that it does not last as long as the stock bulb. The first one went out after 4,000 miles for me but I can live with that and carry a spare in the saddlebags.
Will the stock wiring handle the bigger bulb?
The stock wiring is no problem for the BP1210 80/100-H4. When replacing a bulb, be sure you do not touch the glass portion with your fingers. The oil in your skin can shorten the bulb life.
Boffo... Blue cruiser is right on the money with this. The stock lamp and wiring will accomidate the Wagner BP1210 80/100w bulb with out any issues. I'm running it myself.

However....

If you have an auxillary light bar AND the BP1210 like I do, then you'll need to run the light bar on a relay to not blow the fuse. The relay can be bought for about $5 at any good auto parts store and it's easy to splice in.

AGAIN, The relay is ONLY necessary if you have BOTH an auxillary light bar and the BP1210.

Otherwise, it's plug 'n play my friend.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I've been running both the BP1210 AND Cobra light bar for about 6K miles now. The light bar is wired into the accessory connector inside the headlight and comes on when the key is turned on. No problems either with charging or overloading the circuits. As long as you stay with the stock bulbs in the light bar you should be OK.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bulb change

Replace the stock headlight bulb with the wagner 80/100 yesterday what a differance. Before I was riding around with the high beam on just so people could see me. Now I have more light on low than I did on high with the stock bulb. Thank to all that recommended this upgrade.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I've been running both the BP1210 AND Cobra light bar for about 6K miles now. The light bar is wired into the accessory connector inside the headlight and comes on when the key is turned on. No problems either with charging or overloading the circuits. As long as you stay with the stock bulbs in the light bar you should be OK.
That is a real good idea Jim. I think in PA though the driving lights have to turn off automatically when switching to high beam just as they do on a car or truck. Maybe where you live now that is not the law or you do not have safety inspections like you once had. Still a very good idea.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Laws?......LAWS????? Where I live now, we don't got no steenkin' laws:D Also got no vehicle inspections, sound restrictions. Anyway, it's been 16 years since I retired and there's been lots of vehicle law changes since then, but it seems to me that the driving lights should be considered a safety aid for bikes unlike driving/fog lights on a cage which (at least in my time) weren't to be used unless the weather actually called for it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts