Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into upgrading my headlight while bike is torn down. Checked into an HID replacement but the bulb has an integral cooling fan that I don't think will fit in the bucket plus the ballast will have to have the wiring lengthened and installed under the tank. Stock bulb is the standard 60/55w H-4. Can't find an LED replacement locally to check out and am leery about a higher wattage H-4 replacement due to heat. Anybody out there done a headlight upgrade that they're satisfied with? Cost? Difficulty? Legality? Any help or advice would be appreciated. Bob

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a 35W HID setup in the nacelle (freight train) and it works great. The cutoff and pattern are virtually identical to the halogen bulb. Nice wide, even spread of light.

Do not use a LED setup in there. I have tried. I spared no expense either... went with the brightest I could find. Not nearly as bright as halogen, and nowhere near as bright as HID.

Overall, I chose HID for its brightness and longevity. If you care about brightness only, I'd stick with halogen.
If you care about neither of these things, go with LED.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I changed my stock, 5 year old, light in my 800 classic to the Sylvania Ultra and it made a bit difference. Direct replacement for stock, cost about $25-30 each.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I tried a led bulb. It was a 3200 lumens bulb. The low beam was too low and the high beam was in the trees. Not useable. Took it back out

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went ahead and ordered an off-road halogen 100/80w replacement H-4 bulb and a plug and play ceramic socket. Will see how that works and if the heat is manageable. Two bulbs and two sockets = $18.00 from Amazon. Thanks for the help guys. Bob

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Definitely keep us updated. I need a headlight upgrade before riding season.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
you can search the forum and find a lot of information on headlight upgrades.
I know. And I like to see the results of things people are trying. I had HID headlights on my Trailblazer (there was an issue with them burning out the *some fancy electrical thing I can't think of the name of at this time*). I really like them, but the ballast is hard find a place for on the bike, especially the 2k, which has surprisingly little open space for such a huge bike.

·
Registered
45 Posts

I used the putco led with the fan on my vn900, and the light output is amazing. I tried HID and it was sketchy on when it would work.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I can see NOW !

swapped out the stock bulb for an off-road Wagner, low beam is PLENTY enough to run at interstate speeds. May have to lower it slightly to fully utilize the high beam

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey guys,
While we're on the topic: Is there a separate fuse for Low Beam and High Beam or are they on the same fuse? I have a 35W HID in the low beam, stock H9 in the high beam, and I'm considering adding two 10 W LED driving lights to the High Beam circuit (an additional 1.2 A).

Just wanna make sure I'm not gonna overload the circuit.

I have the service manual PDF, but navigating it is not easy and I can't find a complete fuse listing.

·
Registered
228 Posts
one way to get around the whole mess is to use a relay, use the exsisting switch to control the relay, run new wires from the battery to the relay with fuses in line. then from the relay to the new lights. Alot of motorcycles use small wiring for headlights with can cause voltage drop, i wouold use seperate relays for low and high.

Have not had any issues on the V2k but previous bike i had to re wire the entire head light set up casue it keep tripping breakers and burnnign up there tiny relays they used.

I use relays to isolate and protect alot like upgraded horns, aux power ports, aux lights, groud light kits, ect. take time and more wiring but will help you from chasing electrical deomons.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am about to purchase a new custom 900 and was thinking how bright is the bulb actually and is it better to get a light bar? Anyone use a batman fairing with a light bar? Unique tough look I think. I do like the single light black fairing also but was concerned without a light bar I would need to upgrade the since headlight.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Should drop right in. No modifications necessary.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts