Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone help advise where I can find the headlight relay on my 2009 VN900...

My headlight stopped working today and I'll be trying a new bulb (even though existing one looks OK). Already tried a new fuse.

So if those fail, I'll be checking my stator fuction and my relay.... but coudln't find anything the repair guide or on the site about exactly where the relay is, how to identify it and what part number relay I need to use as a replacement.

Appreciate the help! Thanks!

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Check your charging voltage at the battery first.
See stator sticky above.
Post back with any questions.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Already read through stator sticky and have the charging tests covered (sorry - didn't make that clear in my post), as well as fuse and bulb.

So what I am still asking is where can I find the relay so I can start checking that next..

From what I *think* I am seeing inthe schematics at Bike Bandit, it's in a sealed relay box, and you have to change the whole box.. Any thoughts on how I can test the relay function to verify if that's truly where the problem is...

Thanks!

Check your charging voltage at the battery first.
See stator sticky above.
Post back with any questions.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Charging system working as designed. No power to the plug for the headlight. Power at the leads from the headlight going into relay box. Fuse OK. power at the switch on the handlebar in both low/hi positions when running.

So, I went ahead and ordered a new relay box from Bike Bandit so I can see if this is the culprit.

If it's not then I don't know why I'm not getting power to the headlights. Everything else it perfectly fine.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
If you have 12v on the blue/yellow wire on the dimmer switch, then relay box is ok.
If you want to troubleshoot farther, post back.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interestingly enough I questioned the voltage too.. And the light came back on while riding home! So I questioned the relay and inspected the switch again. What I found was that one wire was melted to another and the post was loose at the solder joint. A little wiggle and the light flickers. Ah ha!!

So the good news is I don't need a new relay box. The bad news is the darn left control housing comes as an accy. and cost nearly 200 expedited. So I took the bad assay. out tonight and will anxiously await a new one to arrive next week!

While my tank is off I will take the time to put in a cobra fuel processor... What the heck... I am planning pipes soon anyway!!

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Better consult your owners manual.
Factory recommends a check fairly early because this is when the most valve train break-in/wear occurs. After that, the mileage interval gets longer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kawasaki Factory Manual states 15k in the periodic maintenance chart in section 2-3. However, I know my bike was checked at 3500k as part of my initial purchase.... nothing to do now...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As soon as I get my replacement housing assy!! ;-) At least for a little while I'll be good to go!! haha.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts