Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headlight works fine on high beam, but when I switch it to low beam the bulb turns off. I then have to play with the dimmer switch a couple of times in order to get the high beam back on. I changed out the bulb but that didn't solve the problem. I checked the headlight fuse and it was fine. Can it be the dimmer switch that's bad? Any suggestions on what else to check? 2009 Custom SE

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Headlight works fine on high beam, but when I switch it to low beam the bulb turns off. I then have to play with the dimmer switch a couple of times in order to get the high beam back on. I changed out the bulb but that didn't solve the problem. I checked the headlight fuse and it was fine. Can it be the dimmer switch that's bad? Any suggestions on what else to check? 2009 Custom SE

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
The hi/lo switch is not a sealed switch so is subject to the elements. You can take it apart yourself and clean the contacts with contact cleaner and a Q-tip or 3M Scotchbrite. Coat the contact areas with a thin coating of dielectric grease.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Let us know how it works out! I was gonna suggest the same thing but they beat me to it. I find that spray die-electric grease works really well on those switches; easier to get it where it needs to go.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Let us know how it works out! I was gonna suggest the same thing but they beat me to it. I find that spray die-electric grease works really well on those switches; easier to get it where it needs to go.
Thanks. First I heard of the spray. Will look for it the next time I'm back for a visit.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No go with the cleaner and grease. Still trying to figure it out. I ride with the high beam all the time so it's not a big issue right now.

·
Registered
122 Posts
check the wiring that goes to the low beam from the switch to the light, you might have a "dead" spot in one of the wires. you could also use test leads to by pass the wires to see id thats the issue. if that dosnt do it then it has to be the switch.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked the red/yellow wire and the red/black wire from the switch to the headlight and both were good. Something new happened today on my way to work. Twice the light turned off on me when I hit bumps on the roads at the beginning of my commute. I flipped the switch and the light came back on (only high beam). Didn't turn off after the second time and was fine for the rest of my 20 mile commute.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts