Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed GPS to auxiliary power leads in headlight shell. Was really easy and thought all was well. GPS works fine, no blown fuses but headlight does not work (high or low).No power at light bulb plug. I have limited electrical experience, any ideas??

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
just a thought.... the headlight on these bike dont power up untill you start em up.. or at least hit the starter button !!!

·
Registered
698 Posts
From memory there is an unswitched blue/white auxiliary power lead in the headlight shell and a yellow/black earth lead. These have nothing to do with the headlights so if these are the leads you are using and it affects the light then something else is going on. I suspect you've compromised the power/earth leads going to the headlights. For the record I'm not sure you'd want to use an unswitched source for GPS because it might drain the battery even if not in use - but could be wrong there? You might be better off tapping into - say the tail light power lead as that is active when bike is running. No use using the headlight leads as they alternate depending on high/low beam.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Thanks, but no headlight even with bike running.
Well, if it worked just before you started and didn't work just after you finished, usually the problem is related to something you did. Not positive about that bike but on mine (V2K) I know there is a fuse for the headlight.

If I'm going to venture a guess I'm going to guess that somehow the light circuit got shorted out during your install. Have you checked fuse(s)?

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'm assuming you double checked the headlight plug connection?
When wiring in my spotlights I plugged in the headlight, then situated the spotlight wiring again, and DISconnected the headlight by accident, only to discover the headlight didn't work once I got everything back together, haha.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all. I decided to backtrack and check everything that I touched during the GPS install. I found a bad connection to the positive wire on the headlight plug. I wonder how that could have happened? 😚😚All is well now.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Glad you found the problem. I've used the same set up as you. I have my GPS connected through a powerlet power outlet http://www.powerlet.com/product/handlebar-power-outlet-device-mount-option/460. This device connects to the spare/acc connector in the headlight. Works well. I use it as an accessory power outlet for any accessory but mainly the GPS. It came with a cigaret lighter and that works fine as well. No issue with draining anything...definitely no draw when GPS removed/unpluged. It has seperate fusing from the Headlight. I like the ability to use the GPS/Accessory feature without having to switch anything on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts