Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to ride home last night and no headlight. This morning I looked at the bulb and it looked good, there were no wires broken as far as i could tell and there was no blackening on the bulb either. The Bike is an 09 with 6500 miles so it's fairly new.

I then took off the light housing and it looked like all the wiring was intact and attached to the bulb so now, I'm out of ideas and any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
295 Posts
Just because the bulb looks good doesn't mean it is good. Sounds like you need at least a test light or better yet a volt/ohm meter to figure out your problem.

·
Banned
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
update.

i checked the fuse and it was good, but i replaced it anyways and now the low beam works but the high beam still doesnt.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same problem with my 800B. It turned out to be the stator. But in your case it may be something different considering the low miles.

·
Registered
953 Posts
So I went to ride home last night and no headlight. This morning I looked at the bulb and it looked good, there were no wires broken as far as i could tell and there was no blackening on the bulb either. The Bike is an 09 with 6500 miles so it's fairly new.

I then took off the light housing and it looked like all the wiring was intact and attached to the bulb so now, I'm out of ideas and any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance
Test your Headlight relay and dimmer switch, below is from the manual. Also i remember when changing my headlight out i had to acutally crank the engine to get power to it, not jus turn the key. Hope this helps and let me know, im pretty good with electrical

Set the dimmer switch to high beam position.
• The high beam should go on.
• The high beam indicator light [A] should go on.
If the high beam headlight and/or high beam indicator light
does not go on, inspect or replace the following item.
Headlight Bulb (see Headlight Bulb Replacement in the
Electrical System chapter)
Dimmer Switch (see Switch Inspection in the Electrical
System chapter)
• Turn off the engine stop switch.
• The high beam should stay going on.
If the headlight and high beam indicator light does go off,
inspect or replace the following item.
Headlight Relay in Relay Box (see Relay Circuit Inspection
in the Electrical System chapter)
• Turn off the ignition switch.
• The headlight and high beam indicator light should go off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I found your post when I was looking for anyone else with headlight issues with a Vulcan 900. Seeing that it's been over a year since you posted I would hope you found the solution. I'm having an issue where my low beam sometime looses power and I traced it back to a connection under the gas tank. I thought I had it fixed but this morning it started acting up again. Was this the same problem that you had? If so, what did you do to fix it? Thanks, Rob

·
Banned
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found your post when I was looking for anyone else with headlight issues with a Vulcan 900. Seeing that it's been over a year since you posted I would hope you found the solution. I'm having an issue where my low beam sometime looses power and I traced it back to a connection under the gas tank. I thought I had it fixed but this morning it started acting up again. Was this the same problem that you had? If so, what did you do to fix it? Thanks, Rob
Rob, I'm not sure I remember what happened. I think it just fixed itself. But I dont even have the bike anymore, I upgraded to the vaquero. Sorry I couldnt help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I took my bike back to the dealer and was totally prepared to pay to have it fixed. The tech worked on it for over 2 hours and said that one of the connections in a connector was broken. He took the two wires from either side of the connector and put them on a single pin connector. The head light is fixed! I bought my bike used and with no warranty but they didn't charge me for the repair. Steele's Motorcycles in Denver isn't a new bike dealership but that have some great looking used bikes and a salvage yard for the rebuilders.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Headlight doesn't work after washing- vulcan 900

I checked main 30 amp fuse and it was good. Also changed headlight bulb with no change. I didn't have a owners manual so I didn't know where the fuse box was located so I called the dealer and was told that a fuse box was located under the left side cover-riders left. It was a 10 amp fuse for the headlight that had blown. Very easy fix once I knew where to look.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Something must have gotten wet during the washing. It's the first time I've experienced this. I've been washing my 09 nomad for 3 years now and have not had a problem like this one. I will be careful not to force water in the internals in the future.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Something must have gotten wet during the washing. It's the first time I've experienced this. I've been washing my 09 nomad for 3 years now and have not had a problem like this one. I will be careful not to force water in the internals in the future.
I've ridden in torrential downpours and nothing like this happens.

That being said I washed the missus Virago a while back and 30 mins or so later was amazed to find the bike trying to start itself - without a key! It just would not stop so I had to disconnect the battery. Got a hair dryer onto the handlebar controls & pulled them apart but no luck. After a few days though the problem went away. Can only assume I was too vigorous with the hose & got water into the ignition which eventually evaporated. No fuse blown however.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts