Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long does your headlight (low beam) bulb last? Seems like I just replaced this thing late last summer (maybe 10K mi. ago). It's not that it's expensive (it's not), just a hassle. My life is so hard.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Ride a bunch of rough roads? Incandescent bulbs are susceptible to filament breakage as they age. They don't take well to jars, bumps and vibrations as they age. Also if you ride in colder climates the heat cool cycle/ thermal shock will shorten lamp life.
I've been running an 80/100 NAPA lamp for over two years, with a modulator, and over 10K without an issue. I do carry a spare for that moment when I'm out at night and it blows. I don't like being stranded nor riding in the dark without a headlamp.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
How long does your headlight (low beam) bulb last? Seems like I just replaced this thing late last summer (maybe 10K mi. ago). It's not that it's expensive (it's not), just a hassle. My life is so hard.
The low beam in my VN2K went out at around 10k too.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now here's a twist: I changed the bulb, and then neither the high nor low worked. The fuse had blown. I know it wasn't blown before, cuz I had spent the previous evening and the trip to the bulb store using the high beam. Changed the fuse and now all is well.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I only have around 6K on my VN2000 and ride mostly during the day which I usually leave the high beam on for, given these circumstances I suspect it will last for a very long time. The only caveat to that being several of the roads up here on the rust coast are either poorly maintained or not maintained making for a rather jolting ride at times.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I only have around 6K on my VN2000 and ride mostly during the day which I usually leave the high beam on for, given these circumstances I suspect it will last for a very long time. The only caveat to that being several of the roads up here on the rust coast are either poorly maintained or not maintained making for a rather jolting ride at times.
Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't both lights (hi and lo beam) on when your brights are engaged?

·
Registered
408 Posts
I haven't checked but it's believable I know on at least one or two of my other bikes the low beam element is definitely off.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
At least on the VN2000, per the schematic, it does look like the low remains on when you select high beam. I'll have to take a look at my bike a little later.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Hmm. Mine must be hooked up wrong.
Must be, and I must be missing something on the schematic because on my 2008 only one filament is on at any given time as I had initially stated.

Not only can I see it in the filaments (albeit I'm now nearly blind) it's also easy to tell with the headlight beam shining on a wall. The low beam pattern is clearly gone when you switch to high beam. If the low beam filament stayed on, the low beam pattern would still be there in addition to the high beam pattern, but it's not.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have the '04 with the Nacelle. Mine is either low beam (3 bulbs) or both low & high beam (4 bulbs) glowing.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Must be, and I must be missing something on the schematic because on my 2008 only one filament is on at any given time as I had initially stated.

Not only can I see it in the filaments (albeit I'm now nearly blind) it's also easy to tell with the headlight beam shining on a wall. The low beam pattern is clearly gone when you switch to high beam. If the low beam filament stayed on, the low beam pattern would still be there in addition to the high beam pattern, but it's not.
Is your '08 a Classic or LT? Mine's an '04 with the big nacelle. Maybe they're wired differently. I know my lo beam stays on, cuz I looked into it while I switched between hi & lo. Now I just see 4 yellow spots.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts