Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some driving lights and LEDs on bottom of bike but is it normal for our bikes light to get brighter as we give it gas or have I got too much going on. Battery is new.

Thanks

·
Registered
814 Posts
Naw, that's not normal today but back in the 50's it would be. A few years ago when I bought my first bike after 50 years of non riding, the owner rode it up and down the road so I could watch it run and I noticed the headlight was flickering. I thought that was just a normal thing. Only later after getting it home did I realize it had a headlight modulator.

I can't comment on your bike's electrical system but there's a fellow on here who most certainly can help with your diagnosis. Forum handle is "sfair" and hopefully he'll see and comment on your post.

·
Registered
673 Posts
1+ with crazeyriderguy & redfish
1000 rpm +/- 50 rpm

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
It's normal if your demand exceeds the alternator output at idle.

Battery only comes into play when the alternator voltage drops to roughly 12.6V or less.

Doesn't take much voltage drop to make a noticeable difference in lighting output. Something on the order of 5% voltage decrease makes ~17% decrease in light output.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks guys. I know when the bike fires up its a fast idle but when it settles down it drops really low. I didnt notice before the add ons but now I do. How do I check to see what my rpms are? Will a voltage regulator tell me anything??

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont recall the light getting brighter with gas before add ons either but when I put the new pipes on the difference in sound got my attention when it settled down. I thought hub that seems low. I will give a run and leave accessory lights off and see if it drops really low and compare. I had prefer not to burn up my stator but I think we can go 70 watts over stock and I might be slightly over.

·
Registered
918 Posts
It sounds as though your idle is too low when the bike is warmed up. I'd say kick up the RPMs until the lights are the same brightness w/o extra throttle. Of course, you don't want the idle too high either.

LED's aren't going to use much wattage at all and I doubt a lightbar will exceed the wattage rating of the stator.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
LED's aren't going to use much wattage at all and I doubt a lightbar will exceed the wattage rating of the stator.
Don't know the loads the OP has for sure, but bear in mind the alternator output/system voltage typically isn't rated at idle. I can't speak specifically for the 900 but, for an example, the VN2K alternator voltage spec is 14.5 ∼ 15.5 V @3 000 r/min (rpm) and they don't give an idling voltage.

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
Just use a meter and when your bike has settled into low idle, adjust idle so you are charging 13.2v-13.4v. Should be good to go after that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts