Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
please help.....me and two buddies screwed with this headlight on my 04 v2k for about 2hrs trying to get it apart with no luck! I hit a deer on the bike at the end of last summer and im just getting around to starting repairs. Now I've looked at the service manual and followed the instructions of taking out the two side bolts that supposedly holds the chrome trim ring and actual headlight in the bucket. Then the instructions say lift up and the headlight should lift out of the bucket. We tryed all that and even some pretty sketchy prying and banging ( making me cringe with fear of scratching or chipping chrome pieces that aren't already damaged from the wreck) and that darn thing still won't budge. I have to get it out because the lights are not working and I have to replace the left side of the headlight bucket. I'm pretty sure all the bulbs are blown from the impact with the deer. The only thing I can figure is that something in there is bent from the impact and holding it. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and may have some suggestions. they'd be greatly appreciated! Thanks:confused:

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
i assume your talking about the nacelle light.

yea, it's held on by only 2 actual bolts. It then "lift's up and outward".

(it may sound like a silly question.. but you didn't remove the bolts that align the headlight instead of the ones that remove the head light, did ya?)

If it's not coming lose from some light tapping with a rubber mallet, then try losing up the nacelle itself.

After you take the cover off, there is a bolt under it, and a bolt under the nacelle (near the triple tree), and 2 bolts on each fork. (there is also several bolts under the headlight, that would need to come out, if you wanted to actually remove the nacelle)

·
Registered
288 Posts
I had my nacelle assembly off when I replaced the fork oil last spring. I think I remember enough to be helpful.

You have to take the two allen head screws out that hold the beam assembly out (one on each side) then flip it up and off like Smed said. Take off the bulb connections and set it aside.

Inside you'll see a black metal ring going all the way around held in by 6-8 allen head bolts. Take out the bolts and remove the ring. I stripped out the heads on 3-4 of mine because they were stuck in there and ended up replacing them afterwards.

Next take off the trim piece that goes over the ignition switch (6-8 chrome bolts) and set it aside. I had to replace a couple of those too as they were corroded in.

Finally (I think, it's a little fuzzy here) there are a couple of bolts that go across that hold the two sides of the nacelle together. After you remove those it should split and come right off.

Like I said, my recollection of the process is a little fuzzy, but I think that should be enough to help you out. If not, let me know and I'll go out to the garage tonight and refresh my memory on it to give clearer instructions.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
Yep, A and one on the other side.

The bolts just "secure" it.

On the top inside of the light is a.. hmm.. lip/ledge thingy that sits down into the bike part of the nacelle. That's what actually supports the light.

soo..once unbolted, the light would pick up and out.

the entire bottom of the light should be lose and wiggle front and back if the 2 bolts are removed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts